• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
The Brumbies have suffered a blow ahead of the Reds trial match with Christian Lealiifano ruled out with a quad injury. The injury is a small tear that could rule him out for 3 weeks, leaving him in doubt for the game against the Chiefs.
Also out of the trial is Patrick Phibbs, who suffered a cork at training yesterday. He will be replaced by Nic White for the match in Darwin.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Oh no, not Phibbs!

I would suggest Phibbs have an extended rest on the sidelines...

Maybe six months?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
That's a bit cruel on Phibbsy but he had a forgettable year in 2010 didn't he?

Corks can be deep-seated and PP could be out for a while. This could be a case of serendipity for Nick White and the Brumbies. You never know.

That's bad news for Leali'ifano but McCabe may be sneaky pleased to get a chance in his favourite position. I've seen him play quite a bit at fullback for the Rats and it's his best spot IMO. He's not a stepper but he knows how to identify a gap and get in a position to exploit it; and his long pass to wingers whilst both players are travelling at top speed is first rate.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I was hoping that Lilo would get a chance to shine at fullback as it would hopefully push Friend for what we all know is the better combination of To'omua/Giteau while having as many of our best players on the field...

I just really really hope that Friend now won't reverse that combination and play Giteau at flyhalf and To'omua at inside centre...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
In regards to that, despite some earlier reports to the contrary (The Canberra Times is filled with mixed messages) it does seem that Lilo was going for a fullback position..

And hopefully To'omua shines against the Reds:

Christian blow as Brumbies test Gits
BY CHRIS DUTTON, RUGBY UNION
02 Feb, 2011 08:09 AM
Injury has crippled Christian Lealiifano's bid to be the ACT Brumbies' first-choice fullback with a quad strain to keep the versatile back out of action for at least the next three weeks.
But while Lealiifano races to get fit, Brumbies coach Andy Friend wants to give Matt Giteau a run in the No10 jersey before deciding who will be the team's flyhalf for the Super Rugby season.

Friend said the Brumbies' trials against the Queensland Reds on Friday and the Wellington Hurricanes on February 10 would be crucial to finalising the starting XV for the season-opener on February19.

Matt To'omua will have the chief playmaking duties against the Reds in Darwin this week.

But Giteau will get an opportunity to stake his claim to be the team's flyhalf when he plays 60minutes against the Hurricanes.

''Matty will get a chunk of time this week against the Reds to show what he's got,'' Friend said.

''We'll look to start [Giteau] at No10 [against the Hurricanes] and let him show us what he's got and we'll see how we're going at half-time.

''We definitely want him involved, there's no point having a Matt Giteau in your back line and not giving him as many touches as you can.''

Neither Lealiifano or scrumhalf Patrick Phibbs will travel with the Brumbies to Darwin today after both suffered training injuries.

It was decided to rest Phibbs after he got a cork at training yesterday.

He is expected to be fit for the second trial against the Hurricanes, but Lealiifano faces a longer stint on the sideline.

The 23-year-old was set to begin his battle with Pat McCabe to be the Brumbies' fullback in the trial against the Reds.

But scans revealed a small tear in his quad and he will now struggle to be ready to take on the Waikato Chiefs in round one.

Lealiifano still holds hope of getting back to training in time to impress Friend.

''I can't catch a break at the moment,'' Lealiifano said.

''I was really looking forward to the trials.

''What I was looking forward to the most was seeing where I fit in and trying to get into that starting side.

''I'm pretty keen just to get this right and try to make my way back into the side. It could be four weeks ... they said round two is more realistic, but I'll try and do everything to get back earlier.''

T

TOCC

Very good news!

In general, I think currency may help keep a few more blokes over here. Add that and a Lions tour to aim for...
Also a very important item, but not nearly as publicised is how the UK has recently changed there taxation laws which effect players, those hoping to head over for a big superannuation payout are faced with there earnings dropping by as much as 30%

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
That's wonderful news for the Ponies and Oz. I wouldn't have blamed him for going as he could have earned a bomb. There aren't too many hard nosed, good scrumming, take the ball over the gain line hookers in France. Apart from Servat you'd be scratching your head.

Brumbies team for the trial:

1. Jono Owen,
2. Anthony Hegarty,
3. Salesi Ma'afu,
4. Ben Hand,
5. Mark Chisholm,
6. Mitchell Chapman,
7. Julian Salvi,
8. Ita Vaea,
9. Josh Valentine,
10. Matt To'omua,
11. Francis Fainifo,
12. Tyrone Smith,
13. Andrew Smith,
14. Henry Speight,
15. Pat McCabe.

Bench: Ben Alexander, Colby Fainga'a, Michael Hooper, Stephen Moore, Dan Palmer, Liam Winton, Robbie Coleman, Clint Sills, Samu Wara, Nic White, Jesse Mogg.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
its official:

Stephen Moore Re-signs with Australian Rugby

Qantas Wallabies hooker Stephen Moore has re-signed with the Australian Rugby Union for another two years.

The 28-year-old, who featured in his 55th Test when Australia beat France 59-16 in Paris last November, has also extended his Super Rugby contract with the Brumbies through until the end of 2013.

“When I weighed it all up, it wasn’t a hard decision,” Moore says.

“There is still a lot I want to achieve in Australian Rugby, both with the Wallabies and here at the Brumbies. There was also the lifestyle factor to consider. Once we looked at everything, my fiancée Courtney and I came to the decision that Australia is where we want to be.”

Moore says that while the upcoming Wallabies programme, which includes a tour by the British and Irish Lions in 2013, was another incentive to remain in Australia; the progress made by the Wallabies had been the over-riding factor in his decision.

“The team is making great strides. We saw that in the results that were achieved last year, especially in the back half in the games against the Springboks, All Blacks and France,” Moore says.

“It’s an exciting time to be involved, not just because of the results that have been achieved, but the style of rugby that is being played. It’s entertaining to watch and enjoyable to play. There’s still a lot of improvement left in the side and I didn’t want to be in the position after this year where I was looking from afar feeling disappointed that I was missing out on being a part of it.”

Moore hopes that his decision to re-sign will act as a spur to others weighing up their futures beyond this year.

“We’ve worked hard to get into the position that we have, in terms of the growth of the Wallabies as a team and, while there is more hard work to come, we are seeing the possibilities that are there. Hopefully we can stick together as a group. If we can, there is a lot that we can achieve.”

Australian Rugby Union Managing Director and CEO John O’Neill said Moore’s retention and the reasons for his decision to remain in Australia were significant.

“On the eve of a huge year for the game in this country, with an exciting new-look Super Rugby competition to be launched in a couple of weeks, and an international campaign culminating in the Rugby World Cup in New Zealand, Stephen’s re-commitment to Australian Rugby is exciting.

“He is a genuine world-class player, a member of the leadership group within the Wallabies, and a hooker who not only has vast experience already but also a considerable future in our game.

“Rugby in this country has a lot to look forward to in coming seasons, with a return to the traditional tours from next year, and the highly anticipated visit by the British and Irish Lions in 2013.

“I’m delighted the opportunity to be part of all that holds enormous appeal to a player of Stephen’s standing.”

Rated by All Black legend Sean Fitzpatrick as the best hooker in the game after a man of the match performance during Australia’s win over England at Twickenham in 2008; Moore made his Test debut alongside current Wallabies captain Rocky Elsom against Samoa in Sydney in 2005.

He last year became the 33rd Australian player to surpass 50 Test matches, marking the occasion with a try during the Wallabies historic 41-39 win over South Africa at Bloemfontein, which was Australia’s first win on the South African high veldt in 47 years.

Moore ended 2010 as Australia’s third most capped hooker behind Jeremy Paul and Phil Kearns.

The player had endured a delayed start to last year’s international programme after breaking his jaw playing against the Crusaders in Christchurch in the final round of the competition. He made his return off the bench during Australia’s 30-13 win over South Africa in the Tri Nations series opener in Brisbane and went on to feature in nine of the last 11 matches played by the Wallabies in 2010.

Of Irish heritage but born in Saudi Arabia, Moore his state debut for Queensland in 2003 and went on to appear on 53 occasions for the Reds, including 47 in Super Rugby, before he joined the Brumbies in 2009.

The Brumbies’ first match of the newly expanded Super Rugby competition, against the (Waikato) Chiefs of New Zealand in Canberra on 19 February, will be the 73rd Super Rugby appearance of Moore’s career.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Oh boy, that's awesome news!

Now they just need to retain AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and I think they'll be setting themselves up ok for the next couple of years...

Reactions: DPK

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That's wonderful news for the Ponies and Oz. I wouldn't have blamed him for going as he could have earned a bomb. There aren't too many hard nosed, good scrumming, take the ball over the gain line hookers in France. Apart from Servat you'd be scratching your head.

Brumbies team for the trial:

1. Jono Owen,
2. Anthony Hegarty,
3. Salesi Ma'afu,
4. Ben Hand,
5. Mark Chisholm,
6. Mitchell Chapman,
7. Julian Salvi,
8. Ita Vaea,
9. Josh Valentine,
10. Matt To'omua,
11. Francis Fainifo,
12. Tyrone Smith,
13. Andrew Smith,
14. Henry Speight,
15. Pat McCabe.

Bench: Ben Alexander, Colby Fainga'a, Michael Hooper, Stephen Moore, Dan Palmer, Liam Winton, Robbie Coleman, Clint Sills, Samu Wara, Nic White, Jesse Mogg.

Interesting team that...

Hopefully Owen does a good job at LH...

The entire back 5 forwards is what I want to see for round 1...

Also, that backline is mostly looking its best but throw in Giteau and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)...

My main concern with Friend's decision making is that he's going to use the trials to see who plays better out of To'omua and Giteau... and no matter what he's going to select Giteau and also play Tyrone Smith at inside centre...

Tyrone is adequate but he's bench material at best...

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Oh boy, that's awesome news!

Now they just need to retain AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and I think they'll be setting themselves up ok for the next couple of years...

Those are two of the most important players they need to retain. I'm not even a Brumbies fan and I'm biting my nails hoping they hold on to AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

T

TOCC

Apparently AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is only days away from re-signing with ACT, NSW had almost poached him as well!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
THE intriguing sub-plot over a possible move by Adam Ashley-Cooper to the Waratahs appears to have fallen over on the day on which he agreed to re-sign with Australian Rugby.

Ashley-Cooper, 26, is likely to stay put at the Brumbies.

ARU boss John O'Neill hopes the retention of Ashley-Cooper and Stephen Moore will resonate as a clutch of key Wallabies make contract decisions in the next fortnight for their futures after the World Cup.

Ashley-Cooper was chased by French club Toulon, but it is understood the 51-Test back is finalising a deal with the ARU after agreeing to terms, and an announcement is imminent.

Where Ashley-Cooper will play his provincial rugby has been a hot topic in rugby circles recently, however.

Speculation has swirled that the Wallaby star was entertaining a move to the Waratahs to be closer to his partner, fashion identity Pip Edwards, who lives in Sydney.

NSW officials have long held an interest in getting the Gosford boy back up the Hume Highway and quietly re-affirmed that desire to Ashley-Cooper's camp

But after being overlooked by the Tahs as a junior, Ashley-Cooper has developed a strong loyalty to the Brumbies and it is understood he will remain in Canberra.

Such a decision would please not only Brumbies officials but also jittery Waratah No.13 Rob Horne, who is also off-contract for next year.

Horne is one of a group of key backs the Tahs are keen to lock away, along with fellow Wallabies Kurtley Beale, Berrick Barnes, Drew Mitchell and Lachie Turner.

Luke Burgess is also a priority but is seriously considering a move to France.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
"Speculation has swirled that the Wallaby star was entertaining a move to the Waratahs to be closer to his partner, fashion identity Pip Edwards, who lives in Sydney."

Identity? Not on this forum - at least not to any of the forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.