• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
Looking forward to watching the Brumbies vs Hurricanes...and the Hurricanes unleashing Jack Lam on the team who discarded him.....should be some venom...be interesting.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Looking forward to watching the Brumbies vs Hurricanes...and the Hurricanes unleashing Jack Lam on the team who discarded him.....should be some venom...be interesting.

Was he really discarded though? I thought his intentions were always to pursue a gig in NZ after he finished school. Either way he should have a big year with the Canes.

Elfster

Alex Ross (28)
Wasn't up there for any games but I've heard Coleman did some damage to his knee and could be out for awhile.

So the injury woes for the Brumbies roll along just like last year.

Are some clubs more "injury prone" than others? Or is it just that supporters concentrate on their own clubs at the expense of others?

But I would like to know what fitness, conditioning some of these clubs do. It is not the all encompassing solution to injuries, but in general fitter players are less injury prone than unfit players.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Was he really discarded though? I thought his intentions were always to pursue a gig in NZ after he finished school.
Could be, but with Smith and Salvi in the stable (before Salvi went offshore) recruiting Lam wasn't a priority. Jack would have known that so another "could be" is that this could have prompted him to look in NZ. So: it wasn't so much that he was discarded, more than he was ignored.

But once Salvi announced he was leaving, the Brumbies should have covered Smith but instead they hired two teenagers for their academy and we all know what happened - Smith got hurt and was out a while. Jack, an ACT and Oz Schools player, and more seasoned than the teenagers, would have jumped at the chance of a S14 contract when Salvi announced, even if it was for just one year. It wouldn't have stopped his playing in the NPC.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Could be, but with Smith and Salvi in the stable (before Salvi went offshore) recruiting Lam wasn't a priority. Jack would have known that so another "could be" is that this could have prompted him to look in NZ. So: it wasn't so much that he was discarded, more than he was ignored.

But once Salvi announced he was leaving, the Brumbies should have covered Smith but instead they hired two teenagers for their academy and we all know what happened - Smith got hurt and was out a while. Jack, an ACT and Oz Schools player, and more seasoned than the teenagers, would have jumped at the chance of a S14 contract when Salvi announced, even if it was for just one year. It wouldn't have stopped his playing in the NPC.

Jack has been playing in NZ and was with the Chiefs squad since 2008 so he wouldn't have been available to cover the Smith injury, or for recruitment when Hooper and Fainga'a were signed. He was born in Waikato and was only in Australia for a few years, I think he was always going home to play his rugby. I don't really blame Brumbies for Jack not staying in OZ, but I would have liked them to keep a hold on Seilala.

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
Jack was disgarded by the Brumbies, after he done his Shoulder playing for the Academy. He was told to cover his own medical and rehab costs, and was not covered by Brumbies for anything, and once he had done this, then the Brumbies would look at him again. Jack only went to NZ due to the fact Brumbies wouldnt help him with anything. In terms of Jack always wanting to NZ to play, far from it, Jack always wanted to play Brumbies, especially alongside his closest friend Lealiifano.
But its been a blessing for him though as I dont think he would have gone as far as he has gone in NZ if he stayed in Canberra, probably would have been picked up by another franchise but he would have learnt a hell of a lot more playing in ITM cup than he would playing in Sydney or Canberra.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
I'm not surprised that they didn't cover his injuries (though the rumours went around the school yard at Eddies). Pretty bloody poor. Sad reflection on the Brumbies financial state/regard for local and academy players..

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Larkham vows to revive Gits magic

* Iain Payten
* January 28, 2011 12:00AM

BRUMBIES legend Stephen Larkham believes Matt Giteau's talents were wasted by the Wallabies last year and has confidence he can help his former teammate rediscover dominant form in Canberra.

Larkham has returned to the Brumbies this year as a backs coach, having recently finished his distinguished playing career with the Ricoh Black Rams in Japan.

The sight of Larkham and Giteau reunited and scheming on the training paddock is one to warm the hearts of Brumbies fans everywhere.

The pair formed a 10-12 combination between 2003 and 2006 and won a Super 12 title in 2004, the last successful campaign by an Australian team.

But Giteau, who shifted to the Western Force in 2007 before returning last season, has not hit the same heights without Larkham by his side, and a lack of impact saw the 28-year-old dropped from the Wallabies late last year.

Larkham feels Giteau's talent has not diminished and if properly harnessed can steer the Brumbies back to the Super rugby finals.

"We've definitely talked about it as coaches and have a bit of a feeling Matt was under-utilised in the Wallabies program last year," Larkham said.

"The roles he played weren't especially suited to his style of game.

"We feel we have a good grasp on how best to use Matt and we're confident we'll see him perform well for us during the season."

Giteau played centre for Australia in 2010 but is likely to revert back to No. 10 in Canberra to take more control.

Already Brumbies insiders have noticed having Larkham back in the fold has put the spring back in Giteau's step.

He was actually on the panel that appointed Larkham as the Brumbies' backs coach, rating the 112-Test legend as his biggest coaching influence even while they were still teammates.

"It's been fantastic to work with Gits again," Larkham said. "He has tremendous enthusiasm and it's a bit like having another coach out there. He is definitely determined to have a good year with the Brumbies."

Giteau is expected to announce shortly this will be his last year playing in Australia. He is set to join a French club next year.

Larkham caught the coaching bug in Japan, where foreign players are expected to pass on their wisdom, but admits he's been surprised at the speed of his move into full-time coaching.

Still fit and competitive, Larkham is very hands on at training and Brumbies staff have started a sweep on how many injuries or bouts of flu it would take to see the 36-year-old stick his hand up for a comeback.

"I guess seeing as I am a selector I'd have a chance of winning that," Larkham joked. "But no, even with injuries we'd want to see our young kids coming through.

"I'd say at least eight or nine blokes would have to be out for anything like that to happen."

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That just has to be bad speculation from the journalist about Giteau reverting back to flyhalf...

Friend can't be that deluded... can he?

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
That just has to be bad speculation from the journalist about Giteau reverting back to flyhalf...

Don't know - the article mentions Gits was on the panel to appoint the backs coach, so probably. Yes he's a senior player, but surely the appointment of coaching staff should be beyond player influence, especially if the guys played together. "Hey Bernie, let me play 10, I got you the job here."

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)

I said in a post a couple of pages ago that I wouldn't be too surprised to see Giteau back to 10 and Lilo at 12... It was Friend's first choice last season also before Lilo's injury forced To'omua into the team forcing Giteau to more one out to 12.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
he should have signed for the Force and be the starting 10 , rather than another year of collecting splinters if this is accurate

Another year learning the ropes with Giteau and Larkham will only do him well. Not really anyone to mentor him over at the Force of their experience, he's still only 20years old remember. He renewed his contract halfway through last season while Giteau was already playing 10 so I'm sure he was full aware of his opportunity in the succession planning post RWC as Giteau's intentions have been no secret.

Status
Not open for further replies.