• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sportsfan

Is there any info on who will be in the 7's side for Darwin on the weekend?

T

TOCC

And just to ruin our season before it begins it seems as though Giteau will be given the captaincy if Hoiles and Elsom are both injured... *sigh*

to be honest, it would probably be pretty disrespectful if they did give it to anyone else, he is the best credentialed after those two to wear the captaincy hat...

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Ash, add in Vanderglas at 195cm and 109kg (aru 7's website figures). Feel like I'm harping on, but I get confused by him not being considered as cover at 6 and 8. He is off to the hottest 7's in Darwin for a hit out.

T

TOCC

The fact that they are letting him go play in the Darwin 7's is probably further evidence that he isnt been considered as a chance for those positions.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
He is not playing for the Brumbies up there either. He has been drafted into the Aussie 7's squad for there as well as Wellington and Las Vegas.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Vanderglas was always going to be playing 7's for Australia this year. If the Brumbies injury toll gets out of hand, I'm sure he could be released from 7's to play 15's.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Which is what I'm speculating about - 15's takes precedence over 7's?

See what eventuates, just hope that injuries don't end up dictating the season.

Any word on pecking order for outside backs? Interested to see how Sammy Wara is going.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't see how Vanderglas is needed when the Brumbies have an excellent 6 cover in Chapman...

If anything we need an 8 on standby and that would be Vaea

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
He is not playing for the Brumbies up there either. He has been drafted into the Aussie 7's squad for there as well as Wellington and Las Vegas.

Excellent. Unfortunately he will always be a marginal halfling at the Super level but he is an elite 7s player.

The Oz 7s players lack variety in the attributes they have and the sameness makes the team sterile. Vanderglass is one type of player they need: a fast backrower with a high work rate and a bit of 7s grunt. They need one more but he is a start. They also need another flier and to accommodate them they need to drop 2 of the steppers.

But it's an old song I sing.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The Brumbies have revealed that Wallaby star Matt Giteau is highly likely to join a French club following the Rugby World Cup.

Cashed-up sides Bayonne and Toulon are thought to be heading the race to sign the utility back, but there is interest from at least two other clubs for the 91-Test playmaker's signature.

Australia's highest-paid player over the past five years lost his Wallabies number twelve jersey to Berrick Barnes for the last Test of 2010 against France, but that doesn't appear to have impacted on his decision.

Brumbies chief executive Andrew Fagan indicated Giteau had made it known before the end of last year's Super 14 he was likely to head overseas following the 2011 World Cup.

"For me it's a non-issue but as much as we'd love him to stay in Australia, we've known that it was more than likely to happen," said Fagan.

"None of this comes as a surprise and that's why we've recruited the way we have," making reference to holding onto Matt To'omua and Christian Lealiifano, both targeted by the Melbourne Rebels, and recruiting Queanbeyan young gun Robbie Coleman.

"I think [Giteau signing] will happen sooner rather than later and that's a good thing from our perspective."

Giteau, who looks set to captain the Brumbies in their pre-season trials, also said he was driven to quickly tie up his next contract.

"Not for my own peace of mind, but for the Brumbies so it's not a distraction and we can just concentrate on this 2011 season," he told Canberra Times.

It appears the Brumbies have known for a while he was going and are planning accordingly

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
Rodney Iona, Pama Fou, Villi Langi, James Turner, Samu Wara, Nic White, Robbie Coleman, Cam Crawford, Lindsay Crook, Lewis Holland

This team tells me that players like Wara, White and Coleman might struggle to make Main Match Day group if they are being allowed to go to Darwin to play 7s.
Sort of tells me that Fainifo/Speight look to be ahead of Wara on peaking order, Phibbs and Valentine ahead of White and looks like they will go with Gits to cover To'omua, Lealiifano to cover Gits and McCabe to cover the Fullback Wing position...With Tyrone Smith as cover for midfield along with Andrew Smith.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This team tells me that players like Wara, White and Coleman might struggle to make Main Match Day group if they are being allowed to go to Darwin to play 7s.
Sort of tells me that Fainifo/Speight look to be ahead of Wara on peaking order, Phibbs and Valentine ahead of White and looks like they will go with Gits to cover To'omua, Lealiifano to cover Gits and McCabe to cover the Fullback Wing position...With Tyrone Smith as cover for midfield along with Andrew Smith.

Or we can hope that Andy Friend grows a set...

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
I doubt it. If someone is Stupid enough to have HArrison and Cuputo on the COaching staff then something is terribly wrong.
Cuputo, good player...SHIT coach.....Harrison, Good player....WORSE coach...sources within Brumbyland say that both have no idea what they are doing.
They also say how well the Academy is doing promoting local players with players stepping up to S14 last season....with the exception of Coleman and Faainga...would Hooper make it at another franchise or even Stubbs although I do rate Stubbs. Darren Coleman is probably the worse Academy coach the Brumbies have seen...I dont remember them winning a game since he became coach. Only job he is doing is getting rid of the local talent out of the system and bringing in his "PENRITH" brigade.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If they don't get the results in sure the whole coaching staff will get dumped...

What's interesting is that Caputo and Finegan have swapped jobs...

I do hope Bernie goes well at least...

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Larkham is a guy I would love coaching any team in Aus rugby. The rumours still abound how he ran a lot of the backline training session back when playing with the Brumbies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Larkham is a guy I would love coaching any team in Aus rugby. The rumours still abound how he ran a lot of the backline training session back when playing with the Brumbies.

Depends if he can coach what he could do. Larkham ensuring that Gits and Mortlock were positioned right for his passes is different from leveraging the best of the current backline

A lot of coaches at the ponies with bugger all experience.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
LG,
It seems as if Kimlin's return has been brought forward a little due to the absence of Elsom for at least the first month. I would have thought that in a World Cup year, and with this previous injury history, they would have wanted to be absolutely sure he's 100% before he played again.

And on another note, which trial will you be attending on Feb 10 - Brumbies v Hurricanes or NSW v Force?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Status
Not open for further replies.