• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
To be fair Aus will finalise their private equity deal after the two world cups become official in May

Rugby League is aiming to up its presence in NZ with the South Island being looked at for the 18th NRL team.

If the Auckland city council gets the western springs redevelopment done then they will look to grow the presence of the AFL in the city with St Kilda still having a contract to play H&A games there
Will we need a private equity deal with the money that should come in over the next decade or so?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Yep but really everyone knows this but yet Rugby Australia seem incapable together with NzRU (ie better super rugby pacific competition framework) or separately (ie another competition option eg own domestic competition. At least in the short term, but I also might be giving either organisation too much credit to have a long term plan to watch the elephant in the room.

Surely both parties don’t see this as long term answer with current super rugby product. From a Rugby Australia perspective I assume they are biding time for a few other funding catalysts to happen to give them other options (eg private equity deal, lions tour, rugby World Cup etc).

To be fair, I think there has been an increasing resignation by RA that the two obvious solutions define a necessary Aus future. There continues to be hope that NZR will come on board to implement Adam's option 1.

And then plenty of us see option 1 as a forlorn hope for as long as NZR think they can string us out. It's time for option 2. Has been for a couple of years.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
apples and oranges.

Rugby Australia won’t get anything near NZ value. All Blacks brand is worth significantly more reflected in the size of sponsorships signed. NZRU already earn more then Rugby Australia without private equity injection.

NRL might be aiming for a presence, but it’s nothing compared to what exists in Brisbane in Sydney already. Especially with a new NRL team in Brisbane.
But buying into the wallabies buys you a share of the revenue of two world cups and a Lions tour.

You know with the political landscape being what it is at the moment there will be money for grass roots rugby for the 2029 women’s World Cup. On top of that the amount of funding will increase as it always does when a nation has a home Olympics.

Their is very little growth potential in NZ, on top of this there was an interesting article on Fox a while back about CVC potentially owning a stake in 9 of the tier one unions and how this could be potentially detrimental to the All Blacks

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Their is very little growth potential in NZ, on top of this there was an interesting article on Fox a while back about CVC potentially owning a stake in 9 of the tier one unions and how this could be potentially detrimental to the All Blacks
I think you may misunderstand what the private equity money is about. You are right, there is bugger all potential for growthin NZ, but Silver Lake are buying a share of the money they make overseas, mainly in Asia and America, where the brand sell big time. I seriously doubt anyone would say the AB brand is worth 3-3 billion in NZ market.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think you may misunderstand what the private equity money is about. You are right, there is bugger all potential for growthin NZ, but Silver Lake are buying a share of the money they make overseas, mainly in Asia and America, where the brand sell big time. I seriously doubt anyone would say the AB brand is worth 3-3 billion in NZ market.
Mate that’s where they target growth but let’s be real as rugby grows in those nations there will be more and more support for their own National sides. I know Kiwis always push this but who will the American fans be behind in 31? The US, they won’t be buying AB shirts.

One or two out of window tests a year where the ABs get an appearance fee is great but the more these markets establish themselves the less they will rely on throwing money away to attract games

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Mate that’s where they target growth but let’s be real as rugby grows in those nations there will be more and more support for their own National sides. I know Kiwis always push this but who will the American fans be behind in 31? The US, they won’t be buying AB shirts.

One or two out of window tests a year where the ABs get an appearance fee is great but the more these markets establish themselves the less they will rely on throwing money away to attract games

Why not? Manu U, and the Gunners sell merchandise in the US.

Brand recognition is key and the ABs have it. Like you though, I would think investment requires a growth plan. If we look more to domestic broadcast, NZ is a squeezed lemon. Aus is either a). a sterile fruit with no potential; or b) huge growth potential. If it's the later we only need to make small in-roads into the sporting broadcast market to have massive $ change for the sport.

WB international brand needs a lot of success and change before it has the brand recognition that goes with those big deals. RA has a better chance of pulling things together around the big events coming here. IE selling rugby first, then the WBs. In the mean time domestic growth is key to support the grass roots.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Why not? Manu U, and the Gunners sell merchandise in the US.

Brand recognition is key and the ABs have it. Like you though, I would think investment requires a growth plan. If we look more to domestic broadcast, NZ is a squeezed lemon. Aus is either a). a sterile fruit with no potential; or b) huge growth potential. If it's the later we only need to make small in-roads into the sporting broadcast market to have massive $ change for the sport.

WB international brand needs a lot of success and change before it has the brand recognition that goes with those big deals. Rugby Australia has a better chance of pulling things together around the big events coming here. IE selling rugby first, then the WBs. In the mean time domestic growth is key to support the grass roots.
Because who buys shirts of a national team outside of expats? Every man and their dog buys an Italy kit on Lygon Street but that’s because they come from Italian families

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Because who buys shirts of a national team outside of expats? Every man and their dog buys an Italy kit on Lygon Street but that’s because they come from Italian families

Yep this is a good point.

Every man and his dog owns a Lebron James Lakers jersey - but who gives a flying fark about Team USA outside the yanks.

I don't see AB shirts as a marketable product en masse in international markets.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Every man and his dog owns a Lebron James Lakers jersey - but who gives a flying fark about Team USA outside the yanks.

I don't see AB shirts as a marketable product en masse in international markets.

It's a different situation though.

National team rugby jumpers are far more popular than domestic team jumpers. It's just the way the sport works.

Silver Lake have bought into the biggest brand in rugby. I don't think they care that the NZ market is saturated. That's not where they're looking for growth. They're looking at global rugby growth and being positioned owning part of one of the biggest brands there is.

Likewise CVC bought into the 6 Nations because it is one of the biggest rugby brands on the planet.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
It's a different situation though.

National team rugby jumpers are far more popular than domestic team jumpers. It's just the way the sport works.
I'm happy to be proven wrong by some statistics but I don't know if that holds true these days.

Look at a fan base like the Force, a lot of them have a chip in their shoulder about national selections and Super Rugby treatment but are diehard rugby fans. I daresay there is a much higher sales volume of Force merchandise in WA than there is Wallabies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Mate I kid you not, I was in a market in Marseilles a few years back, and in the stalls you could but French soccer shirts, rugby jerseys and All Black jerseys. But there is no way an outfit like Silver Lake are throwing around 200 odd mill to just get a cut of jersey sales either. It is a brand that sells everywhere, I don't know why, I not a marketing guru or anything, but as I said I pretty sure Silver Lake have an idea or two how they are going to make it bigger in America and Asia , because they not buying it for NZ and Aus market.

Once again you really think Silver Lake haven't done due diligence? I really don't know what their ideas are for increasing the market ie digital etc, but that's why I in a forum and not making millions :D
Just out of interst a couple of years back AB jersey was behind only Brazil and Manchester United jerseys as biggest seller worldwide according to Adidas, main reason they paid so much to take rights to supply AB jerseys of Canterbury or whoever.

Last edited:

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm happy to be proven wrong by some statistics but I don't know if that holds true these days.

Look at a fan base like the Force, a lot of them have a chip in their shoulder about national selections and Super Rugby treatment but are diehard rugby fans. I daresay there is a much higher sales volume of Force merchandise in WA than there is Wallabies.

Perth is an anomaly though... in Sydney it would be the complete opposite where a geographical area smaller than the ACT care about the Waratahs.

But BH is correct - international rugby is easily the most popular form of rugby, and the AB's are its most recognisable brand.

Just out of interst a couple of years back AB jersey was behind only Brazil and Manchester United jerseys as biggest seller worldwide according to Adidas, main reason they paid so much to take rights to supply AB jerseys of Canterbury or whoever.

A quick google search would also reveal the AB jersey is the second biggest selling jersey in France after the French team... and I would bet this would be common across the globe.

Last edited:

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Not to mention the celebrity cache the AB's jersey already has, beyond the usual touring musician wearing one to perform - Jason Momoa and The Rock have both regularly been seen in them.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Mate I kid you not, I was in a market in Marseilles a few years back, and in the stalls you could but French soccer shirts, rugby jerseys and All Black jerseys. But there is no way an outfit like Silver Lake are throwing around 200 odd mill to just get a cut of jersey sales either. It is a brand that sells everywhere, I don't know why, I not a marketing guru or anything, but as I said I pretty sure Silver Lake have an idea or two how they are going to make it bigger in America and Asia , because they not buying it for NZ and Aus market.

Once again you really think Silver Lake haven't done due diligence? I really don't know what their ideas are for increasing the market ie digital etc, but that's why I in a forum and not making millions :D
Because most of the big sellers are NIKE.

Also private equity is about capital growth. They pay $200m not expecting to make a return from the income but expecting the value of the asset to grow. Like all rugby brands what they are buying into there is the high growth rate of the game internationally.

What NZ doesn’t have that every other rugby nation has is there are no opportunities for domestic growth so they are putting all their eggs into the one basket. When you look at every other tier one nation there are significant opportunities for domestic growth and to grow the market share in their home markets also helping to improve the assets worth

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Anyway enough about ABs and Silver Lake, back to what thread is about. We wondering why perhaps the figures aren't crash hot for tv viewing, I think we may only to have a peek at rugby match forum.
This is predominately an Australian rugby forum, we are on game day of a match between Force (usually a well supported team) and Rebels and there is at this stage not even 10 posts on the match. I think perhaps as I saidit's hard to get excited when same teams play each other to often in a small comp.
And I think the same on other forums for Kiwi matches, not sure there is the usual amount of posts even if there a lot more than that. And generally that is from rugby people of sorts who come into these forums.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Got a free trial with Kayo to watch the F1 & Champions Cup and they've put rugby after Rodeo, Poker, Rowing & Lawn Balls. But we're before softball, so that's nice.

young gun

Fred Wood (13)

I've got to agree with Dan here. I was in Japan for the RWC 2019. If the locals weren't wearing a Japan jersey (and that was mostly later in the comp as Japan were going well) they were wearing an AB's one. And there were ALOT of them, I found very it very noticeable. As Dan says, its about brand recognition, fact is AB's are top of that pile, and I know that fro someone who is very involved in the whole sports marketing side of things - he told me that 20 years ago. Nothings changed.