• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
There needs to be a baseline level of interest for that interest to then be lost. Anyone outside the rugby circles doesn't even know when Super Rugby games are played, let alone care about who they are playing.
Ok so you saying it's no advertising?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Don't be too sure, I getting feeling it's happening here a bit. Why do you reckon it's not rating highly?
Can’t be sure but I think TT results last year may have killed off some of the initial enthusiasm generated for super rugby au plus there was some more marketing for the kick off of the super rugby au competition last year. As we had same as last year repeat home and away local derbies.

You would think RA would have done some or looked to commission some surveys to find out why as all of the above speculation as the root cause.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Can’t be sure but I think TT results last year may have killed off some of the initial enthusiasm generated for super rugby au plus there was some more marketing for the kick off of the super rugby au competition last year. As we had same as last year repeat home and away local derbies.

You would think RA would have done some or looked to commission some surveys to find out why as all of the above speculation as the root cause.
Yep, well I don't know about marketing in Oz anymore, as not there. Can I ask, I was reading that the ball in play in Aus is 6-8 minutes less then NZ this year, does that make a difference, same as TMO interventions, there are 2 minutes average per game in Aus and 1 minute in NZ, well that was up until last week I think. Do these things make a difference.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yep, well I don't know about marketing in Oz anymore, as not there. Can I ask, I was reading that the ball in play in Aus is 6-8 minutes less then NZ this year, does that make a difference, same as TMO interventions, there are 2 minutes average per game in Aus and 1 minute in NZ, well that was up until last week I think. Do these things make a difference.
Have you got a source for this?

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Have you got a source for this?
It was on Breakdown a week or so go, think it was when O'Keefe was on show, was part of discussion on making game a bit quicker and wasn't meant as a criticism of Aus refs, just saying how they were coming down etc. Mind you I don't know if Aussie's ratings are up or down on last year, but was throwing ideas into pot.
As I said I wouldn't be surprised if NZ numbers were down, getting a little same ol with same teams playing each other a lot.
I usually watched almost all Aussie games from here in NZ last year, but not as much this year, and personally don't know anyone who is watching them here this year. I get idea that a lot are waiting for different games? Not sure just a guess.

Last edited:

Adam84

Rod McCall (65)
Don't be too sure, I getting feeling it's happening here a bit. Why do you reckon it's not rating highly?
Nah, im sure. Local derbies has been forced into irrelevancy due to a rubbish tournament design.

The better resourced, better funded and better coached kiwis are expected to take out most/all of the finals spots and there is a general malaise towards that, whereas last year it was a guaranteed all Aussie finals and all the derby matches mattered..

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Nah, im sure. Local derbies has been forced into irrelevancy due to a rubbish tournament design.

The better resourced, better funded and better coached kiwis are expected to take out most/all of the finals spots and there is a general malaise towards that, whereas last year it was a guaranteed all Aussie finals and all the derby matches mattered..
That would be my view and my frustration that there has been no serious intent to resolve this. Meanwhile Rome burns.

Last edited:

dru

David Wilson (68)

Anmd they were the only thing going for growth of the broadcast. The answer is simple, and discussed to death here before they stuffed it up. Let a domestic trophy be the primary goal. Then, and only then, TT. When at least the Aus finalist team fans have an interest, and probably all other Aus fans transferring to those finalists for the TT.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
It was on Breakdown a week or so go, think it was when O'Keefe was on show, was part of discussion on making game a bit quicker and wasn't meant as a criticism of Aus refs, just saying how they were coming down etc. Mind you I don't know if Aussie's ratings are up or down on last year, but was throwing ideas into pot.
As I said I wouldn't be surprised if NZ numbers were down, getting a little same ol with same teams playing each other a lot.
I usually watched almost all Aussie games from here in NZ last year, but not as much this year, and personally don't know anyone who is watching them here this year. I get idea that a lot are waiting for different games? Not sure just a guess.
The worst part of O'Keefe being on the breakdown was him wearing a NZ referees shirt and saying that 'we' (the all blacks) need to win all the games prior to the world cup. Not the best look.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Isn't O'Keefe universally accepted as one of the worst refs around, behind only Pickerall?

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Isn't O'Keefe universally accepted as one of the worst refs around, behind only Pickerall?
Isn't that only by a few moaning pricks, according to Pom commentators when he was at 6N he in top 2-3 in world. I don't know about 2-3 or anything, I reckon most international refs are pretty bloody good, and never rate them from 1-10 or anything as I like everyone else and probably judge them on how well the players went, and then blame the ref if doesn't go how we want.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
The worst part of O'Keefe being on the breakdown was him wearing a NZ referees shirt and saying that 'we' (the all blacks) need to win all the games prior to the world cup. Not the best look.
I'm not sure what problem was with that? He was on a NZ programme that was discussing ABs need to do to improve against NH teams. I actually think he actuallu said we in southern hemisphere play a certain way too. Geez you sure are a finicky bugger Jimmy.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
With lower broadcast numbers, I think we have to remember the biggest factor of all.

Covid, life has largely returned to normal, I think last year I watched all of the super rugby AU games. If not all definitely 90% plus. The last two weeks I have not had time to watch any game outside of the Rebels game

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
With lower broadcast numbers, I think we have to remember the biggest factor of all.

Covid, life has largely returned to normal, I think last year I watched all of the super rugby AU games. If not all definitely 90% plus. The last two weeks I have not had time to watch any game outside of the Rebels game
And I think this maybe the most correct, the first year we all so over the moon to get any sport, but basically we going back to normal (well kind of), and perhaps people are starting to get out again, not staying at home as much.

Last edited:

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)

But we aren't talking about people who don't get the time to watch every game, simply the broadcast game on Saturday nights.

It's the only game of live FTA rugby available and it's dropped out of the top 20 altogether, which means people are still watching TV on Saturday, just not the rugby.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Yeah thought that, but then again NRL/AFL seem to be up on broadcast figures
Ok, well it was a thought that made sense, but as you say if others are up, would seem not. I know when Super Aotearoa started in 2020 and everyone was real into it, I wondered if it was because we so happy to have sport again may of had something to do with it. But I definitely get feeling we seeing too much of the same with only 6 teams in each comp. I a bit of a tragic, but never missed games from Aus last year, and only really watch the games like Reds/Brumbies now because it seems same ol same ol, and I think many casual fans will be same there, and over here as well now. You need a bit of variety, and before you poo poo it too much, I think Warriors who never look like winning comp are still seemingly getting more or less same interest. And there is not one Leaguie I have sopken too think they are on equal footing with Aus teams!

Last edited:

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
But we aren't talking about people who don't get the time to watch every game, simply the broadcast game on Saturday nights.

It's the only game of live FTA rugby available and it's dropped out of the top 20 altogether, which means people are still watching TV on Saturday, just not the rugby.
Well yes people still watch TV, but rugby dropping out of the top 20 could be more to do with the fan base having other things to do