• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Wonder why. At this stage theres basically been no difference.
Yep could speculate

a) results from TT lost the fan interest after intiallly successful super rugby au
b) current format not part of determining oz division winner like super rugby au did
c) it is perceived as just part of another flawed super rugby competition - ie lesser product
d) it is contributing to a super rugby product fairly similar to the flawed TT product ie lipstick on a pig
e) poor wallaby Northern Hemisphere tour did not help to contribute to fan interest
f) Less marketing then last year
g) mix of the above and/ or something else

Wonder if RA going to commission a survey to gauge fan interest / disinterest in super rugby pacific as yes would be helpful to know.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Wonder why. At this stage theres basically been no difference.
Actually there is a difference as this is not part of a separate domestic product (like super rugby au) that determines a winner but rather part of a broader super rugby product (like TT) that was not successful last year or indeed for better part of the last half of a decade

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Without a Super AU final being the dominant Aussie team means nothing as they will come back to the field when we get beaten by the Kiwi teams.

The current format does nothing for me and even the Aussie conference means less to me now that it is not even an Australian conference as there is now Fiji.

I even turned off the Tahs v Fiji game this week as I struggled to be interested in it. If it was a Super AU competition at least I could watch with interest who may knock off the Reds or Brumbies in the final. I don't think the Tahs or Fiji will trouble the Kiwi teams so they will probably not have an impact come finals time and this decreases my interest.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
Less marketing this year around the place I reckon.

Stan really pushed it last year, I saw heaps of advertising around Brisbane on buses, bus stops, billboards etc. absolutely zero this year.

I reckon it’s affecting crowds as well - only 14k last night at Suncorp. It was a peach of a night in Brissy to head out and was a top of the table clash/grand final rematch.

Tin foil hat time…

NRL were upset Nine was advertising rugby so much on its platforms last year, then NRL have signed a new deal with Nine this year. Since then Rugby advertising has dropped off.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
Without a Super AU final being the dominant Aussie team means nothing as they will come back to the field when we get beaten by the Kiwi teams.

The current format does nothing for me and even the Aussie conference means less to me now that it is not even an Australian conference as there is now Fiji.

I even turned off the Tahs v Fiji game this week as I struggled to be interested in it. If it was a Super AU competition at least I could watch with interest who may knock off the Reds or Brumbies in the final. I don't think the Tahs or Fiji will trouble the Kiwi teams so they will probably not have an impact come finals time and this decreases my interest.

This is definitely a significant factor, Aussie teams are playing each other but it’s all a moot point if they can’t beat the kiwis, which most people doubt.

The games don’t hold the same level of importance since it’s not the same even playing field that Super Rugby AU was.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
The broadcast game choice ended up very odd after the rescheduling, it may have hurt the build in to the season not having a Reds v Tahs or Reds v Brumbies grand final rematch early in the season to drive interest.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Tin foil hat time…

NRL were upset Nine was advertising rugby so much on its platforms last year, then NRL have signed a new deal with Nine this year. Since then Rugby advertising has dropped off.
AFL is the real threat. Most people who watch Union would watch League and vice versa. Should be working together.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Yep could speculate

Wonder if RA going to commission a survey to gauge fan interest / disinterest in super rugby pacific as yes would be helpful to know.

You could also speculate that more and more people don't rely on FTA to consume content any more and who actually has the recording boxes these days.

It's what $20-$24 a month for Stan + Stan Sport. I'd probably say, FTA is doing so poorly because people can justify spending $24 a month compared to the $80-$120 that Foxtel used to charge.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
You could also speculate that more and more people don't rely on FTA to consume content any more and who actually has the recording boxes these days.

It's what $20-$24 a month for Stan + Stan Sport. I'd probably say, FTA is doing so poorly because people can justify spending $24 a month compared to the $80-$120 that Foxtel used to charge.

Hmm not sure I agree. If anything, the Stan Sports addon is one of the more niche streaming services in the market and many people who aren’t hardcore rugby fans would give it a miss. The catalogue has grown this year but at the start it was literally just rugby for $29 a month including basic Stan.

Also I think you’ll find many households are hitting $60-$80 a month on streaming services so people could be priced out of the more niche products.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

Maybe contributes a bit to that as Stan has had subscriber growth but doubt it certainly explains it all. But valid point to put in the mix as I certainly have no evidence to substantiate what is real reasons for declining FTA numbers and can only speculate like others but sure as heck in RAs interests to know the reasons and who knows maybe they already do….

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
Hi Guys,

I had a feeling GEM figures were not being reported, I went straight to the source

Jamie 3 April 2022 At 1:38 pm
Do you know what ratings for the Super rugby Game? QLD Reds
  • af3b4227ee6f8189c25d478d20d7b93f
    Steve Molk 3 April 2022 At 3:23 pm
    Hi Jamie – 103,000 nationally; 69,000 5CM for the Reds/Brumbies game.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep could speculate

a) results from TT lost the fan interest after intiallly successful super rugby au
b) current format not part of determining oz division winner like super rugby au did
c) it is perceived as just part of another flawed super rugby competition - ie lesser product
d) it is contributing to a super rugby product fairly similar to the flawed TT product ie lipstick on a pig
e) poor wallaby Northern Hemisphere tour did not help to contribute to fan interest
f) Less marketing then last year
g) mix of the above and/ or something else

Basically also could well be loss of interest a little in repeated derbies? Basically same players running out in same teams making it a little hard to maintain interest?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Basically also could well be loss of interest a little in repeated derbies? Basically same players running out in same teams making it a little hard to maintain interest?

There needs to be a baseline level of interest for that interest to then be lost. Anyone outside the rugby circles doesn't even know when Super Rugby games are played, let alone care about who they are playing.

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
I'll try and get some more figures for the last couple of weeks.

Super Round will be the dealbreaker if we are going to get "casual" fans back on board, there will be a few people waiting to say "Told you we could beat the Kiwis"

Our teams need to come out firing and throw everything at them