• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
NRC, NRC is the place to start! NRL?? How long has it been since a NZ team won? And don't tell me our league supporters are better than Aus rugby supporters! Mind you NRL is just a board that runs comp like Sanzaar isn't it, and I don't think ARL give any money to Warriors!
Never going to win the fight for talent if it's semi pro slapped at the end of the season.. might make the jump to super easier though..

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Never going to win the fight for talent if it's semi pro slapped at the end of the season.. might make the jump to super easier though..
Yep, more thinking of it helping to increase player depth/talent in Aus, and hence make next level up better, and that I believe will make game more attrctive to viewers.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
With club rugby firing up again in both QLD and NSW, it would be good if Stan released some of the viewership data on those games.

Super Rugby is copping plenty of criticism this year for failing to attract crowds and ratings on television, it would be interesting to see if club rugby viewership (as a collective) was generally high. It is a hard metric to measure though because club rugby is generally a more approachable product for fans to attend, so the live views on Stan may not actually be reflective of the fan base.

There seems to be a growing divide amongst rugby fans about whether club rugby needs to be promoted and developed as a more genuine product for professionals, similar to Intrust Super Cup in League, or whether another re-jigging of the Super Rugby model and bringing back an NRC style product might solve our problems.

I'm sure the executives at RA are privy to all the viewership numbers but it would be good for the average punter to know, it may help validate some of the claims people are making about club rugby support being stronger than Super Rugby or even the national side.

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
With club rugby firing up again in both QLD and NSW, it would be good if Stan released some of the viewership data on those games.

Super Rugby is copping plenty of criticism this year for failing to attract crowds and ratings on television, it would be interesting to see if club rugby viewership (as a collective) was generally high. It is a hard metric to measure though because club rugby is generally a more approachable product for fans to attend, so the live views on Stan may not actually be reflective of the fan base.

There seems to be a growing divide amongst rugby fans about whether club rugby needs to be promoted and developed as a more genuine product for professionals, similar to Intrust Super Cup in League, or whether another re-jigging of the Super Rugby model and bringing back an NRC style product might solve our problems.

I'm sure the executives at Rugby Australia are privy to all the viewership numbers but it would be good for the average punter to know, it may help validate some of the claims people are making about club rugby support being stronger than Super Rugby or even the national side.
It is a hard metric to measure though because club rugby is generally a more approachable product for fans to attend, so the live views on Stan may not actually be reflective of the fan base.

I'm yet to see a decent crowd for Club Rugby, I can only speak for myself but Club Rugby is just park footy, there is a mixture of guys that could be ok for the next level and a whole bunch that is average at best.

Club rugby is part of the pathway but it will never be the answer.

Super Round will give us some clarity as to where we are, if we don't win a single game we are in trouble.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
Kiwis are tuning out of SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) in droves:

1News has sourced figures which show declining TV viewership for the competition, with the early rounds of 2022 averaging around 100,000 viewers.

In Rugby World Cup years in 2015 and 2019 audiences, aged five and over, per game averaged close to 200,000.

With Covid mangling the competition, that figure dived in 2021 and ratings have now nearly halved compared with three years ago.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Interesting article on news here in NZ just now, viewing numbers here are half what they were a couple of years back.
The people from TV seem to be in agreement with yours truly, too much of same with same teams playing each other.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Interesting article on news here in NZ just now, viewing numbers here are half what they were a couple of years back.
The people from TV seem to be in agreement with yours truly, too much of same with same teams playing each other.
I wonder if private equity companies buying into Rugby leaves a sour taste in peoples mouths? It may be easier for people to support a sport rather than a multi national company.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
Further evidence the NZRU Aratipu Review was so poor and removed from reality. It essentially recommended what NZ has right now, with only 2 more teams.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I wonder if private equity companies buying into Rugby leaves a sour taste in peoples mouths? It may be easier for people to support a sport rather than a multi national company.
Hmm I'm not sure that is a factor.

It's the hardcore fans who are still watching, the casuals have tuned out. I doubt the casuals would be aware of any private equity deals or even be invested in the sport enough to care.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Further evidence the NZRU Aratipu Review was so poor and removed from reality. It essentially recommended what NZ has right now, with only 2 more teams.
Well it was at least 8-10 teams thought to be best, but don't worry about details Adam, just make up anything ;) :D.
But I always believed it has to be 10 minmum for any comp to maintain interest, it ishown time and again around world.

Though fella they were talking to was intertestingly enough saying that with streaming etc, a lot seemed to be enjoying the highlight packages similar to what sa few seem to enjoy on Stan. Even best mate was saying yesterday,he basically just watched Aussie packages on Stan on weekend as Reds weren't playing. And he someone who is a real rugby man, like me goes to matches a lot, and he has been a Reds member for 20 years or so, not just a causal fan.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Interesting when talking about Super Round just then, when Mitchell was saying get down to the stadium, Merts pretty much spoke over the top and said ‘well at least tune in on Stan’. He obviously hasn’t drunk the koolaid and knows the signs are there for a mediocre event.

Do we know what the broadcast arrangements are? Is it still just the Saturday night game on GEM? I would think it would be a good chance to get a game on Saturday and Sunday free to air if possible, especially if this is our ‘flagship event’ of the season.

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
60K for Tahs game, hopefully, a win this weekend will see a few fans come back. I think there are quite a few people "waiting" to see what happens.

I know Covid did not help the draw this year, but I can't wait for a proper round robin next year.

I'm doing my bit though and dragging mates to the next Tahs game, incidentally, this is the typical response that I've been getting. He is a Union fan though. He is coming along and I know it will be a fun day, so I'm pretty sure I can get him to come to the next few games. I will also "remind" him that "yes you can watch the rugby on GEM"

Attachments

• IMG_3914 2.jpg
    IMG_3914 2.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 121

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Love watching Super Rugby but I think that’s just because I’m a diehard. The comp otherwise is very uninspiring for a casual watcher. Was a lot easier to inspire mates last year to go to a reds match with SRAU. I think the wider context is the teams probably aren’t playing for anything at the end of the season, whereas last year there was something on the line and the media was lapping it up. Be interesting if Reds/Brums can get some wins but if not it wouldn’t surprise me to see SRAU return after the current integrated agreement.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Love watching Super Rugby but I think that’s just because I’m a diehard. The comp otherwise is very uninspiring for a casual watcher. Was a lot easier to inspire mates last year to go to a reds match with SRAU. I think the wider context is the teams probably aren’t playing for anything at the end of the season, whereas last year there was something on the line and the media was lapping it up. Be interesting if Reds/Brums can get some wins but if not it wouldn’t surprise me to see SRAU return after the current integrated agreement.
I think the Aussie teams may get 5 wins in the crossover, 2 x REDS, 2 x BRU and 1 x TAH. Maybe 1 surprise win for each of these teams. I don't hold much hope for REB and FOR though. Any win for them would be great.

It is pretty hard to get motivated for a couple of months of losses, would prefer the return to AU only.

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
I tend to disagree. The novelties of playing the brumbies and reds wear off pretty quickly. I used look forward to these games now it’s every second week. It gets boring

the force and rebels are not firing. Can’t wait for the kiwi games. And we should be aiming high. Not hiding in super AU.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I tend to disagree. The novelties of playing the brumbies and reds wear off pretty quickly. I used look forward to these games now it’s every second week. It gets boring

the force and rebels are not firing. Can’t wait for the kiwi games. And we should be aiming high. Not hiding in super AU.
Boy Jamie, someone speaking sense! Good to see someone still looking outwards instead of inwards. I really looking forward to the different opposition.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)

I don’t think you have play the kiwi sides any less or the derbies more often, just the packaging of the season calendar more conducive of engaging audiences. SRAU then a separate comp with kiwi sides and/or Japanese sides after each country has celebrated a domestic champion, just like what happens in Europe and every successful football competition.