• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Blues v NSW Waratahs @ Auckland - 2011R09

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Thats a seriously impressive effort. Any idea what the problem is and how serious it is Bruce?

I understand the main problem is the hamstring, Jnor. Few people realise how many injuries professional footballers carry into games. That's one reason why I'm always hesitant to bag players when they have a quiet game.

I am quite certain that a player who strings together nearly fifty games very often goes onto the field with injuries that most of us wouldn't even think of playing with. That's the reality of professional sport.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I understand the main problem is the hamstring, Jnor. Few people realise how many injuries professional footballers carry into games. That's one reason why I'm always hesitant to bag players when they have a quiet game.

I am quite certain that a player who strings together nearly fifty games very often goes onto the field with injuries that most of us wouldn't even think of playing with. That's the reality of professional sport.

Isn't that the whole point of fitness tests? If a player isn't 100% then surely they must aim up and say they're not good enough for the game and let someone who is 100% take their spot? Or am I missing the point here?

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Isn't that the whole point of fitness tests? If a player isn't 100% then surely they must aim up and say they're not good enough for the game and let someone who is 100% take their spot? Or am I missing the point here?
You end up in a position where no players are 100% by the end of the season. Most players will have injuries its just the extent to which they can play through them or not which obivously depends on the individual and the injury.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)

To an extent, yes. Plenty of players will have niggling injuries that won't affect their performance once they are in the heat of battle, and can be looked at further down the track. If it's a reasonably significant, performance hampering injury then I agree with you.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)

If by 100% you mean injury free, qwerty, then there would be many occasions when a franchise couldn't get a team on the paddock applying that rule.

A few examples of players I know personally:

Some seasons back Phil Waugh played half a season with a broken foot. I have been told that after he had played 100 Super games he estimated that he had played with an injury in over 60 of them. And we know that what Phil would class as an injury wouldn’t just be something trivial.

In 2008 Tom Carter played three-quarters of the Super season with osteitis pubis in both groins. This meant that he was not available for selection for Australia A and wasn’t able to play any club football for the rest of that year.

Last year Daniel Halangahu played the whole Super season with a shoulder injury, after which he had to have surgery thus missing playing any club football

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
9. Burgess
10. Hangas
11. Mitchell
12. Cross
13. Kingston
14. Turner
15. Beale

Looks like the safest option. I hope to god that Beale at 12 has not been discussed.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

This looks reasonably strong given the injury list, but apart from McKibben, who goes to the bench? Maybe two out of Holmes, Grant and Anesi???? Boy, it didn't take many injuries to get into deep doodoo, did it. Maybe reducing the squads to save money wasn't so smart?

Carter's role in the team, the go-to man when we are on the back foot, will have to be taken up by Cross who at least seems to have had a form jump over the last week or two.

Strangely, I am more comfortable with Kingston at 13 than I am further out. Its his normal spot and I don't fancy his chances against Roks and Ranger.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
given the injuries, I would like to see:-

9. Burgess
10. Beale
12. Cross
13. Kingston
11. Mitchell
14. BKH
15. Turner

20. McKibben
21. Hangers
22. Holmes (on the basis he is a good defender and only to play at 12, 13 or wing)

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
given the injuries, I would like to see:-

9. Burgess
10. Beale
12. Cross
13. Kingston
11. Mitchell
14. BKH
15. Turner

20. McKibben
21. Hangers
22. Holmes (on the basis he is a good defender and only to play at 12, 13 or wing)

Pretty sure BKH is injured.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
HSBC WARATAHS SQUAD TO PLAY THE BLUES
Super Rugby Round 9 – Saturday 16 April 2011
Eden Park, Auckland
Chris Alcock (Eastwood), Sosene Anesi (Hunters Hill), Al Baxter (Northern Suburbs), Kurtley Beale (Randwick), Luke Burgess (Sydney University), Tom Carter (Sydney University), Ryan Cross (Eastern Suburbs), Dave Dennis (Sydney University), Kane Douglas (Southern Districts), Daniel Halangahu (Sydney University), Josh Holmes (Warringah), Sekope Kepu (Randwick), Tom Kingston (Sydney University), Pat McCutcheon (Sydney University), Brendan McKibbin (Eastern Suburbs), Drew Mitchell (Balmain), Ben Mowen (Randwick), Dean Mumm (Sydney University), Pat O’Connor (Eastern Suburbs), Tatafu Polota-Nau (Parramatta), Benn Robinson (Eastwood), Sitaleki Timani (Southern Districts), Lachie Turner (Eastwood), John Ulugia (Southern Districts).

Squad announced today with two to be dropped, depending on whether McCutcheon and Carter are injured.

If McCutcheon and Carter are injured then:
  • Timani will be the backrow cover. If Alcock gets injured we wont have a fetcher
  • I fear for TPN playing injured against a front row like the Blues have.
  • If Beale is at 10 then Cross to 12, Kingston to 13, Mitchell and Anesi wings and Turner to 15. Hangers, Holmes and McKibben to the bench
  • If Beale to 15 then Hangers to 10, Cross to 12, Kingston to 13, Mitchell and Turner the wings. Holmes, Anesi and McKibben to the bench,
  • You must have a 4:3 split on the bench if both players are out.

If both McCutcheon and Carter are injured then no 23rd player has been named to go across to cover injuries pre-game. Is there anyone left? By my calculations, assuming Woodhouse is injured, the only members of the super squad plus the training squad still standing are Tilse, Ryan, Bennets, Peterson, Seymour and L. Timani. A couple more injuries in the game and we will be DESPERATE for the clash with the Reds, particularly if the injuries are to outside backs or hooker.

Gooch

Fred Wood (13)
Blues team announced:

BLUES: 1.Tevita Mailau, 2.Keven Mealamu [c], 3.John Afoa, 4.Kurtis Haiu, 5.Anthony Boric, 6.Jerome Kaino, 7.Luke Braid, 8.Peter Saili, 9.Albie Mathewson, 10.Stephen Brett, 11.Rene Ranger, 12.Luke McAllister, 13.Jared Payne, 14.Joe Rokocoko, 15.Isaia Toeava. Res: 16.Tom McCartney, 17.Pauliasi Manu, 18.Filo Paulo, 19.Chris Lowrey, 20.Chris Smylie, 21.Lachie Munro, 22.Benson Stanley

Gooch

Fred Wood (13)
WARATAHS: 1.Benn Robinson, 2.Tatafu Polota-Nau, 3.Sekope Kepu, 4.Dean Mumm [c], 5.Kane Douglas, 6.Dave Dennis, 7.Pat McCutcheon, 8.Ben Mowen, 9.Luke Burgess, 10.Kurtley Beale, 11.Drew Mitchell, 12.Daniel Halangahu, 13.Ryan Cross, 14.Tom Kingston, 15.Lachie Turner. Res: 16.John Ulugia, 17.Al Baxter, 18.Pat O'Connor, 19.Sitaleki Timani, 20.Chris Allcock, 21.Brendan McKibbin, 22.Sosene Anesi

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
WARATAHS: 1.Benn Robinson, 2.Tatafu Polota-Nau, 3.Sekope Kepu, 4.Dean Mumm [c], 5.Kane Douglas, 6.Dave Dennis, 7.Pat McCutcheon, 8.Ben Mowen, 9.Luke Burgess, 10.Kurtley Beale, 11.Drew Mitchell, 12.Daniel Halangahu, 13.Ryan Cross, 14.Tom Kingston, 15.Lachie Turner. Res: 16.John Ulugia, 17.Al Baxter, 18.Pat O'Connor, 19.Sitaleki Timani, 20.Chris Allcock, 21.Brendan McKibbin, 22.Sosene Anesi

No 23rd back? Man, the captain's run had better be non-contact!

Status
Not open for further replies.