• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Blues v NSW Waratahs @ Auckland - 2011R09

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyril Towers (30)
Kingston may be a super talent but in the picture I saw he looked scrawny. I am worried that Ranger and Roks will eat him alive. For this reason only I would like to have seen Grant called up. He's a winger (not a converted 13), doesn't seem to have soft hands and drops the ball a lot but he's big enough to really make a mess of somebody.

Grant is big but he doesn't really play like a big player. He relies pretty much on speed which he has plenty of, but rarely uses size or strength. I would back Kingston to be a better defender against big wingers.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Palu is out injured so there may be less need for a 5:2 bench split. If we go with Fitzpatrick (is he back), Fuse, Timani and McCutcheon (assuming he's OK) then we could run McKibben, Hangers and John Grant to give us some back-up for Kingston in case we need it.

With a young rookie and no outside back replacement we are courting disaster against a top class backline.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I would like to have seen Grant called up.

Kingston is twice the footie player that Grant is. Grant is a finisher and hasn't shown a lot of other stuff. Grant is fast but young Tom is quick enough - and quicker off the mark than Grant. Watch Kingston first and then see. I don't think he will be fazed by Super Rugby.

If Carter is out also it will be interesting. The SMH is talking about Anesi being OK to play; he was out of my calculations earlier; but the Tahs don't have any healthy backs left except 3rd string scrummie, Holmes; so they'll probably have to have him on the bench.

If Carter is injured the backs could be:

15. Beale
14. Turner
13. Kingston
12. Cross
11. Mitchell
10. Halangahu
9. Burgess

Reserves
- McKibbin
- Anesi

But they'll probably swap Turner and Kingston. Whatever they do, it will be a bit of a lucky dip.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
IMO:

9. Burgess
10. Beale
11. Mitchell
12. Halangahu
13. Cross
14. Anesi
15. Turner

22. Kingston

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I haven't since he left school but to debut in the starting side against the Blues is a huge ask.. I think the more experienced players are more suited to the job. He could have a shocker and could do damage to his game.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
If the Monkey Cloud is out, it will be the first time in a long time. Does anyone know how many games straight he's played for the Tahs?

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
So we have a fullback playing at 10, do we have a proper IC to replace Carter at 12 (?), a slow, hesitant ex mungo at 13, a 19 y.o. rookie at 11, and a winger at 15.

I say we move Mitchell to THP.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I hope that the absentees are being saved for the match with the Reds. I'd like to believe we can win both, but even winning one will be tough - and if I had to choose only one it would the the Reds. Give the extended squad a crack at the Blues I say.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
9. Burgess
10. Hangas
11. Mitchell
12. Cross
13. Kingston
14. Turner
15. Beale

Looks like the safest option. I hope to god that Beale at 12 has not been discussed.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
So we have a fullback playing at 10, do we have a proper IC to replace Carter at 12 (?), a slow, hesitant ex mungo at 13, a 19 y.o. rookie at 11, and a winger at 15.

I say we move Mitchell to THP.

:nta: that is silly, you have a squad and players can play in various positions

the "fullback" led the the side to a super 14 final playing 10

A "proper" 12, our 12 back up is injured, Hangers has played S14 rugby at 12 -

the 13 is a Wallaby who played pretty well last week and has been adequate back up for our first choice

a rookie is a rookie, you never know how good they are until they get a chance, as others have said he has been in form in the A games and plenty of 13s get their early chances at a higher level on the wing. Lately, consider AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Horne, Chambers & Mortlock as examples

the "winger" has always considered himself a 15 and wants to play there

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think Beale has to play 10. I have no confidence in Hangers ability to ignite our backline with Cross/whoever but at 12 I feel he can offer a similar game to Carter. He's a very good runner of the ball and has decent defence. Also it would allow Turner to go to 15 who is our best defender. Our last man needs to be a strong defender, the Blues backs are going to be testing the defence every time they get the ball. Although Beale's defence as improved, Turner's is better.

Don't think Horne ever played on the wing fatprop?

Status
Not open for further replies.