• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Blues v NSW Waratahs @ Auckland - 2011R09

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
I was quite surprised that Deans in his first year in the helm of the Wallabies that he didn't pick Tom Carter who was having a great season that year when I was able to attend most of the Tahs' home games, and then Carter has fallen a bit form wise in the interim, but this year he has really showed more skills in his game with much greater maturity evident in his decision making.

However, I won't be holding my breath over Deans picking him for the RWC but one can only hope....

B

BRIX

Just another little observation I've made recently. I'd like for Burgess to stop going blindside as a 1st phase option or on slow ball if it's not on. Particularly when Turner or lazy forwards are occupying that space. We either get bundled into touch or turn the ball over through a penalty or by being short on numbers.

Burgo can get carried away at times, I look forward to seeing more authority from whoever is at first receiver in the coming weeks

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I was quite surprised that Deans in his first year in the helm of the Wallabies that he didn't pick Tom Carter who was having a great season that year when I was able to attend most of the Tahs' home games, and then Carter has fallen a bit form wise in the interim, but this year he has really showed more skills in his game with much greater maturity evident in his decision making.

However, I won't be holding my breath over Deans picking him for the RWC but one can only hope....

As you know, Nusa, in Deans's first year, 2008, Carter started in every game of the Super 14 season but he played most of that season with osteitis pubis in both groins. As a consequence he was not available for selection in Australia A and thus for consideration for the Wallabies squad. His backs coach that year was Todd Louden who developed him as a power player able to regularly bend or break the defensive line.

For the next two seasons the 'Tahs' backs coach was Scott Wisemantel who didn't know how to use him and required him to play a role that didn't suit him when he wasn't consigned to the bench. In 2010 because of team injuries he mainly played at 13 although he is clearly an inside centre.

This season with Scott Bowen as backs coach Carter has been able to play his natural game and is showing great consistency even when the team is not performing.

It is unclear whether Deans is committed to the Second Five approach when the rest of the rugby world seems to be favouring big men at 12, or whether his selection policy is due to the fact that other than Carter there are no big 12s in Australian rugby.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Agree.

If the selectors won't pick Carter for the RWC they clearly don't understand how backline play has evolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.