• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Blues v NSW Waratahs @ Auckland - 2011R09

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
rewatching at the moment looking specifically at defensive issues. All the Blues linebreaks have been from either a well executed dart around the ruck, or from the blues centres getting outside and stepping inside our centres. The other big defensive issue is that out backline didnt realign in defence when a linebreak was made, and in particular Hangers was well out of position at least 3 times on the realign. The back 3 defended well, possibly as they were helped by Beale playing back to also cover, and the centres will change with key players returning, but the locks and back row were pretty poor around the ruck and that is a worry.

Full credit to the blues though, most team would have dropped a few of those chances, but they made the most of every mistake and gap - 5 very good first half tries, and a pretty good scramble defence too.

I'd also like to drop douglas, but he is a THL, and neither dennis, mumm are - not sure about mowen? Unfortunately it seems we are stuck with leaving one of our best form forwards in Dennis in the bench when we are at full fitness, which is a shame.

I thought McCutcheon was pretty poor again this week. There were a few times when he was tackling a Blues back head on and failed to make any real impact in the hit - got pushed off, slipped off or was driven back. He doesnt seem to hit the rucks hard either, and other from a few steals last week I havent seen him do anything that warrants keeping him in the side. Alcock was not perfect when he came on, but he had a bigger ruck impact, which is part of what we are lacking.

Agree with a what a few people have said - turner is not up to fullback so should stick to wing and (if we are desperate) outside centre. Beale should be kept at 15, he is an OK 10, and a great 15, he has far less impact in close (and cant pass well). If hangers is our second best 10, then let him play there instead of shuffling everything to fit him in somewhere else. I agree he is not up to it, but unless we have a better replacement we are stuck with him. Lets hope shute shield throws up another option.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Can someone explain why it is a good idea to pick a young 13 as a wing? I would love to renew my Tahs membership as I live here. But I can't stand the shit selections and protected species policy for some players. Eg Halangahu, Waugh, and seemingly now McCutcheon.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Can someone explain why it is a good idea to pick a young 13 as a wing? I would love to renew my Tahs membership as I live here. But I can't stand the shit selections and protected species policy for some players. Eg Halangahu, Waugh, and seemingly now McCutcheon.

you dont know why waugh is in the team, but feel mcutcheon is picked without warrent. right.
waugh is the best the tahs have both at 7 and is far and away probably one of the greatest leaders in australian rugby. who would you have replace them?

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
McCutcheon has been poor in every game he has played. He is weak in contact and not up to standard at the breakdown. This could also be seen in the games he played in the Shute Shield before he was injured last year. Alcock was always a better choice at 7.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member

Can you suggest an alternative winger? Anesi? Because he is just about the last bloke in the squad left. Then you are into the academy.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Can you suggest an alternative winger? Anesi? Because he is just about the last bloke in the squad left. Then you are into the academy.

Given the predictable weakness in the centres with a pairing of Cross and Hangers the Tahs would have been better off with Holmes at 12 and Turner or Kingston at 13. I know people do not like Holmes, and fair enough he is a very average halfback, but he is a good 12 and should have played there his whole career.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'd like to see Alcock replace McCutcheon. I didn't think Cross went too bad. He was poor defensively but he is always very strong in contact. Unfortunately he's our best replacement for Horne at this stage I feel.

God I wish we had Horne fit.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
I also would have liked Alcock getting a decent go and Kingston at 13. Put Kepu back into the backrow. Do something.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
you dont know why waugh is in the team, but feel mcutcheon is picked without warrent. right.
waugh is the best the tahs have both at 7 and is far and away probably one of the greatest leaders in australian rugby. who would you have replace them?

just wanting to confirm: waugh is soley in the team for his leadership?
leadership is defos lacking when hes not around... but in saying that every other s15 team in australia gets more out of the opensides (as pilferers and open breakaway play) then their tahs

mcutchen halangahu turner mumm were all way off the pace
too many losers in this team... need to develop or start importing some "winners" > tahs arnt going anywhere in a hurry... this my friends is why beale is leaving... hes a winner> and id put my house on mitchel leavin as soon as his contract is up

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
i see more potential in the rebels future with macqueen coaching than the shambles that is the tahs
tahs next year will have a good front row, mowen, palu, dennis, an increasingly dimishing waugh, a rookie halfback, mitchel and glass class in barnes and horne and god knows who will be coaching
if oconner has indeed signed with the rebels id bet kurtley would have known about it

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I would be surprised if Beale thinks he is moving to the Rebels because they are 'winners'. The money, opportunities, lifestyle, coach may be better, but the Rebels have zero Super titles - just like the Tahs. Every player should have the attitude that they want to make the team they are playing for a winning team, rather than moving to an already successful team in order to be dragged along on the shirt tails of others.

I'm all for taking the points - 7 points - especially when 24 points down!

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
the Rebels have zero Super titles - just like the Tahs.

Maybe Beale is keeping an eye on the denominator

Tahs 0/15
Rebels 0/0

Though in terms of games won, the Tahs are managing a very respectable premium over a coin toss:
Tahs 101/183 = 55%
Rebels 3/8 = 37.5%
Reds 95/198 = 48%

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

There was not one but several better options than Hangers and Cross for that game:
  1. The Holmes to 12 option already mentioned.
  2. Hangers to 10, Cross to 12, Kingston to 13, Turner to 14, Beale to 15.
  3. Hangers to 10, Cross or Holmes to 12, Turner to 13, Kingston or Anesi to 14 and Beale to 15

Hangers at 12 was the fundamental error in selection that totally screwed the backline. At this level he cannot play at 12 against the Blues who are a top class team. Despite having one bad game against the Crusaders I still maintain he is a Super standard 10 and should have played there. Cross has shown in his previous games that he was serviceable, but better at 12 than 13 against good quality opposition. I think Kingston showed some potential for the future - he was only shown up badly once as a Ranger speed bump and against Ranger that's not a bad resume for a first game playing out of position.

O

OrangePeeler

I only got to see the second half but I thought that every time KB (Kurtley Beale) received the ball at 10 he was flat-footed or taking the ball on his first step. I don't remember him doing that when he played 10 for the 'tahs a few years ago. Has Cross lost a yard of pace in his old age? (or did he ever have it?), he made a few half breaks and i was waiting for him to put on his fend, go up a gear and get through. He had the fend but no extra speed...

I have to agree with the comments about Turner, to me he looked like a winger trying to play fullback and not a fullback at all (but geewiz that was some great speed and footwork in the lead up to fucking up his own try!). I think Hangers has just guaranteed T.C. a pay rise when he comes back.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Carter, Palu & Waugh will be back and maybe Barnes as well.

That stiffens up the side markedly in defense, enthusiasm and application

Mr Ross may have had his thesis clearly demonstrated on Saturday. We missed Tom Carter, he adds a lot to the mix with his defense, his leading/reading the line and his work out wide at the breakdown

T

the beast

There was not one but several better options than Hangers and Cross for that game:
  1. The Holmes to 12 option already mentioned.
  2. Hangers to 10, Cross to 12, Kingston to 13, Turner to 14, Beale to 15.
  3. Hangers to 10, Cross or Holmes to 12, Turner to 13, Kingston or Anesi to 14 and Beale to 15

Hangers at 12 was the fundamental error in selection that totally screwed the backline. At this level he cannot play at 12 against the Blues who are a top class team. Despite having one bad game against the Crusaders I still maintain he is a Super standard 10 and should have played there. Cross has shown in his previous games that he was serviceable, but better at 12 than 13 against good quality opposition. I think Kingston showed some potential for the future - he was only shown up badly once as a Ranger speed bump and against Ranger that's not a bad resume for a first game playing out of position.
Agree with the No 2 that way everyone remains in their preferred positions and gives a good young prospect like Kingston the opportunity to show his potential.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Carter, Palu & Waugh will be back and maybe Barnes as well.

That stiffens up the side markedly in defense, enthusiasm and application

Mr Ross may have had his thesis clearly demonstrated on Saturday. We missed Tom Carter, he adds a lot to the mix with his defense, his leading/reading the line and his work out wide at the breakdown

I couldn't have summarised the lad's work in defence better myself, fp. He is the best defensive technician in Australian rugby by a country mile. Couple that with Chris Hickey's recent assessment of him -

''Tom's game has really developed over the last couple of seasons. He's got a much better balance in his game but at the same time he's willing to do those hard yards at times when it needs to be done, whether it's carrying the ball forward over the ad [advantage] line or defensively. His work at the breakdown is really strong for a No.12, and if we're in trouble, you'll see the ball will often get thrown to Tommy to get us going forward again, and the other players value that.''

- and you can see why I've been prepared to be out of step with the multitude who see him as a one-dimensional plodder.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I couldn't have summarised the lad's work in defence better myself, fp. He is the best defensive technician in Australian rugby by a country mile. Couple that with Chris Hickey's recent assessment of him -

''Tom's game has really developed over the last couple of seasons. He's got a much better balance in his game but at the same time he's willing to do those hard yards at times when it needs to be done, whether it's carrying the ball forward over the ad [advantage] line or defensively. His work at the breakdown is really strong for a No.12, and if we're in trouble, you'll see the ball will often get thrown to Tommy to get us going forward again, and the other players value that.''

- and you can see why I've been prepared to be out of step with the multitude who see him as a one-dimensional plodder.

Bruce,
Two years ago I thought he was awful. It took me a while to get why he was picked at all but now he is just about the first back picked on my list. Your efforts and this site in particular have broadened my rugby education. He brings a lot more to the table than most people will admit, and it was blindingly obvious with McCallister having a dominant game at 12.
Have Uni ever played Hangers at 12? He doesn't look to have the skillset for mine, I think he's only really a 10 at Super level.

Status
Not open for further replies.