• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Bledisloe 2 - Saturday 25th August 2018 - Eden Park, Auckland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Higgers MkII....

I think he a fair bit better than Higgers though, I agree with derpus a lot of his running is coming back against a fractured defence, as I would want my 8 to do, I think we are forgetting what good lines he also runs out wide, where i think he is quite some bit better than Higgers. All in all his biggest strength is probably his rugby brain!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think we will see Beale at 15 and To'omua at 12. Beale can drop in and out from 15 but can struggle under the high ball (but they all do when compared from Folau) so DHP is likely be on the wing

Or DHP at 15 and a winger brought in

Tirinui suggests picking the wingers with jet shoes on dry tracks.

I still think we will do better, but go down by 20+

shit I didn't even think of that combo but like it. Agree, that's the best option.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
^^^^
Edit/preface: i only read the blurb not the article so my rant may be way off point.

Revolutionary insight 'they are the best because they do the things the goodest.'

It's also wrong. They do have a particular tactical style. They soak up pressure, tactically infringe in their 22 to minimise conceded points and pounce as soon as the opposition inevitably turn the ball over allowing them to attack a broken defence out wide with their super fast and giant Islander backs like Naholo or Savea. Often to utilise this space they'll employ a cross field kick.

It's bullshit to think we were actually in the game at half time. a) they'd already bombed several tries and b) were simply waiting for us to make the inevitable mistakes that allow their style to click. This effect usually snowballs from 60 minutes onwards as their unwitting opposition tire and make more mistakes with the ball.

It's chalk and cheese to, for example, Ireland's possession based tactical approach which involves capitalizing on mistakes made in defence rather than attack. Which is why Ireland were able to beat the ABs. They are super disciplined with the ball in hand to the point where it's actually quite dull to watch. But hell, it works. It's also why Ireland are probably the only team in the world right now with a realistic chance of beating them at the World Cup.

But it also helps that the ABs generally have the best player in the world for each position, and at least two high quality reserves per slot.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The few times we've beaten the ABs has been when we've kept it tight in possession and found a little parity in the set piece.

Frankly, with the tight five we have, our scrum should be a strength. Once Sio and Tupou are back there are no excuses in this area.

KiwiM

Arch Winning (36)
It's also worth noting Ireland beat an AB team without Retallick or Whitelock playing - heck Kaino was starting at lock that day. ABs also had Moala at 13 (who we now know is absolutely not a centre, didn't get near the ABs since, and is now overseas).

KiwiM

Arch Winning (36)
Yeah yeah wheel out the excuses mr 95% win ratio. Fuck me.

My point is I wouldn't read more than what is there in regards to that test. The ABs then beat Ireland in Dublin 2 weeks later. I'm not sure how the Chicago test v Ireland is any more relevant than the Brisbane Bledisloe 3 last year.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
My point is I wouldn't read more than what is there in regards to that test. The ABs then beat Ireland in Dublin 2 weeks later. I'm not sure how the Chicago test v Ireland is any more relevant than the Brisbane Bledisloe 3 last year.
It's as relevant as the Brisbane test, both followed the same blueprint and both resulted in the ABs losing. Saying one or two first team players being out (which, obviously, the Irish and Australian teams also suffered from) is the equivalent of a kid in the school yard crying 'i wasn't even trying my hardest anyway'.

KiwiM

Arch Winning (36)
It's as relevant as the Brisbane test, both followed the same blueprint and both resulted in the ABs losing. Saying one or two first team players being out (which, obviously, the Irish and Australian teams also suffered from) is the equivalent of a kid in the school yard crying 'i wasn't even trying my hardest anyway'.

So why would Cheika alter from using the tactics from Bledisloe 3?

The set piece from Chicago to last weekend in Sydney is absolutely chalk and cheese - locking combos of Tuipulotu/Kaino vs Whitelock/Retallick.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
So why would Cheika alter from using the tactics from Bledisloe 3?

The set piece from Chicago to last weekend in Sydney is absolutely chalk and cheese - locking combos of Tuipulotu/Kaino vs Whitelock/Retallick.
Search me mate. Id be doing one ups off the ruck all night if i had to play the ABs.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

KiwiM

Arch Winning (36)
One tactic that I think can be very beneficial v ABs is well weighted up and unders/box kicks (with good kick-chase). Especially so if Nehe Milner Skudder is starting this week - he's not very tall and not very strong at high ball reception. Of course to do this effectively you need very accurate kicking (e.g. Conor Murray).

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
One tactic that I think can be very beneficial v ABs is well weighted up and unders/box kicks (with good kick-chase). Especially so if Nehe Milner Skudder is starting this week - he's not very tall and not very strong at high ball reception. Of course to do this effectively you need very accurate kicking (e.g. Conor Murray).

Surprised we didn't see more of this last week, when we had Folau, as I'm not sure either of the NZ wingers are necessarily that strong in the air. Given that the ABs didn't look that threatening off structured play if we'd set a strong wall with a good kick chase I'm not sure they'd have hurt us too badly on counter either.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Surprised we didn't see more of this last week, when we had Folau, as I'm not sure either of the NZ wingers are necessarily that strong in the air. Given that the ABs didn't look that threatening off structured play if we'd set a strong wall with a good kick chase I'm not sure they'd have hurt us too badly on counter either.
Cheika does seem more of a man motivator than a tactician...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
tab.co.nz: AB $1.05-$9.50 Wobs, 21.5 start
tab.com.au: AB $1.05-$10.00 Wobs, 22.5 start

Other than a few comments re: Hooper I haven't seen much on here about the Wobs conditioning which again seemed not quite what you'd expect given the respective prep times of the teams. Not sure who the S&C guy is but Wobs were conspicuously flagging by 35 minute mark & some were flat-out done by 50. Sure the tries ~3 minutes either side of oranges would've been demoralising but not to that degree.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
tab.co.nz: AB $1.05-$9.50 Wobs, 21.5 start
tab.com.au: AB $1.05-$10.00 Wobs, 22.5 start

Other than a few comments re: Hooper I haven't seen much on here about the Wobs conditioning which again seemed not quite what you'd expect given the respective prep times of the teams. Not sure who the S&C guy is but Wobs were conspicuously flagging by 35 minute mark & some were flat-out done by 50. Sure the tries ~3 minutes either side of oranges would've been demoralising but not to that degree.

From what I've read the general consensus seems to be that the players appeared overworked prior to the test as opposed to lack of conditioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.