• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Bledisloe 2 - Saturday 25th August 2018 - Eden Park, Auckland

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
ALL BLACKS: Jordie Barrett, Ben Smith, Jack Goodhue, Ngani Laumape, Waisake Naholo,, Beauden Barrett, Aaron Smith; Kieran Read (capt), Sam Cane, Liam Squire, Sam Whitelock, Brodie Retallick, Owen Franks, Codie Taylor, Joe Moody. Reserves: Nathan Harris, Karl Tu'inukuake, Ofa Tu'ungafasi, Scott Barrett, Ardie Savea, TJ Perenara, Damian McKenzie, Anton Lienert-Brown

Can only assume they've gone with Laumape 'cos AL-B covers both 12 & 13.

100th cap for Franks, this will be his 91st start.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Laumape only small surprise in basically a team that picks itself. Would of been more surprised if NMS had made team, and will be interesting with no Folau, will ABs feel they have superiority in air, and maybe a few box kicks down right side for the Accountant to chase?? Will be very interested to see if they use Laumape to give the loosies a target in midfield too, and he could of been picked as he a little bit more in the SBW style?

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
What? Four wins by Aus Super Rugby sides over NZ sides this year is an immeasurable improvement on recent years. But otoh the Wallabies haven't improved at all, in fact have regressed as you have pointed out in regards to their results last year. Why should any of the Wallabies' coaching staff be exempted from scrutiny?

BR I think you'd do well to listen to this podcast. I know you'll probably write off any positivity on the basis that Turinui was a Waratah, but it's still worth a listen.

https://www.therugbyruckus.com/

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Thanks for crunching those numbers, would you mind going to the effort next year before the first Bledislode and sending it to Cheika and co. so they can manage the players better in the lead up?

This is a perennial problem in Australian rugby. We simply don't have the quality depth so most of our players get overplayed during the season relative to our competitors.

We struggle to compete at Super Rugby level even with our best players but there is undoubtedly a big drop off to the bench players in most of our sides relative to NZ in particular and that causes coaches to play their stars for far more minutes. We also don't have the practice of sitting out our Wallabies for a couple of games a season.

It's hard to know how to overcome it. I don't think we're in a position to reduce the minutes these guys play by a lot in most cases. It's not like the reserves are generally budding superstars who just need more game time to realise their potential.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
This is a perennial problem in Australian rugby. We simply don't have the quality depth so most of our players get overplayed during the season relative to our competitors.

We struggle to compete at Super Rugby level even with our best players but there is undoubtedly a big drop off to the bench players in most of our sides relative to NZ in particular and that causes coaches to play their stars for far more minutes. We also don't have the practice of sitting out our Wallabies for a couple of games a season.

It's hard to know how to overcome it. I don't think we're in a position to reduce the minutes these guys play by a lot in most cases. It's not like the reserves are generally budding superstars who just need more game time to realise their potential.
No easy fix for an endemic issue like this. Gotta do the hard stuff like having healthy grass roots, etc.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)

The fact that Robertson and Kepu had to play nearly all the game because of Tupou’s and Sio’s injuries exacerbated the problem.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)

There are many local derbies where opportunity exists to give overworked players a rest. Especially if it was a sanctioned rest issued by RA where key players from both sides could be given time off. There are always solutions.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
There are many local derbies where opportunity exists to give overworked players a rest. Especially if it was a sanctioned rest issued by RA where key players from both sides could be given time off. There are always solutions.
The Irish seem to manage players quite well. Perhaps we could look at what they do.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Tupou still out. No real surprises, a bit of a change up in the front row, that's about it.

DlP5Kn4UcAEhF8j.jpg

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think those are solid changes from Cheika.

Sio returning is good and Ala'alatoa deserves a crack after both Robertson and Kepu struggled a fair bit last week. Fainga'a deserves his chance off the bench.

The backs are as expected and it is good to see Banks getting a crack off the bench.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
Reference Super Rugby/Club Minutes. I wasted far too much of my time to manually calculate the starting front rows minutes for the year. I did indeed realise it was a pointless endeavour very early on, probably before I started, however like most decisions I make, stupidity's voice (masking as curiosity) was heard. Given that 1 player plays overseas rotating as a sub, 2 of the players were injured for most of the year, and 3 of them play in a side with All Blacks on the bench.. all of this data is, without question, entirely pointless. Enjoy.

1: Tom Robertson
18 games: 1252 minutes​
69.55 minutes per game (mpg)​
2: Tatafu Polota-Nau
14 games: 547 minutes​
39.07 mpg (rotated between starting and sub)​
3: Sekope Kepu
15 games: 948 minutes​
63.2 mpg​
1: Joe Moody
5 games: 205 minutes​
41.0 mpg (came off injured after 6 minutes in 1 game)​
2: Codie Taylor
17 games: 1017 minutes​
59.82 mpg​
3: Owen Franks
8 games: 432 minutes​
54.0 mpg​
For future reference ACR - itsrugby.co.uk will do all this for you in the players profile section!

Reactions: ACR

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
They took him to NZ thinking he was a chance to play so it can't be too bad.

Presumably he will be available in two weeks time for the next test.
Might be giving him extra time so he’s available for us to beat the rest of the best?
His time will come soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.