• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australian Rugby / RA

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
America is not a bad option for a test/tour if you can convince them to do most of the hosting on west coast and then look to book twilight fixtures

east coast afternoon kicks off between Australia vs Eagles is not favourable Timezone but those RL fixtures in Las Vegas were in a prime time slot for Sunday afternoon footy

Is the MLR still made up of mostly Saffas and Aussies?

I think the first logical step would be one of the Super Rugby teams arranging a tour over there and potentially playing against a team of MLR contracted Aussie’s and another against the South African/NZ contingent or something like that.

Would be a good chance to see firsthand some of the club quality players who have been playing in a professional setup for a few years and potentially able to come back home to add depth to a squad.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Problem with Fiji in the RC window is that they typically don't have their European based players (see this year's PNC (Pacific Nations Cup) - it's essentially the Drua).

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
Is the MLR still made up of mostly Saffas and Aussies?

I think the first logical step would be one of the Super Rugby teams arranging a tour over there and potentially playing against a team of MLR contracted Aussie’s and another against the South African/NZ contingent or something like that.

Would be a good chance to see firsthand some of the club quality players who have been playing in a professional setup for a few years and potentially able to come back home to add depth to a squad.

Plenty of NZ players as well. There's also an increasing number of Argentines, Chileans and Uruguayans popping up.

LevitatingSocks

Bill Watson (15)
Plenty of NZ players as well. There's also an increasing number of Argentines, Chileans and Uruguayans popping up.
Maybe that's our potential solution to not having an NRC?

Shipping our players that are borderline talented enough to make a Super Rugby roster over to the MLR?

Could also integrate more closely with New Zealand's NPC as a closer and better alternative?

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
Maybe that's our potential solution to not having an NRC?

Shipping our players that are borderline talented enough to make a Super Rugby roster over to the MLR?

Could also integrate more closely with New Zealand's NPC as a closer and better alternative?

Made the suggestion before. Look to send some of the younger talented blokes (like Zach Fittler who the game is chasing for example) that we are chasing to the likes of the MLR which is around the same level as the NPC these days for the first half of the year at the very least. Potentially to the NPC if workable.

WoodysRFC

Allen Oxlade (6)
There will still be a bledisloe I assume? Unless the NZRU decide to make it biannual…..
From what I've seen, it'll be three Bledisloes a year, and at least one fixture with SA for the Mandela Plate, so there's four fixtures there. I note there'll be no RC in 2028, so is that a possibility for Aus to tour SA, seems to be implied that Aus are part of the discussions for tours?

JRugby2

Bill Watson (15)
From what I've seen, it'll be three Bledisloes a year, and at least one fixture with SA for the Mandela Plate, so there's four fixtures there. I note there'll be no RC in 2028, so is that a possibility for Aus to tour SA, seems to be implied that Aus are part of the discussions for tours?
Unless there is some revenue share arrangement us touring RSA (or anywhere overseas for that matter) doesn't do a lot for us. Great fun for the players no doubt but it's outside of our timezone and we can't sell tickets.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
The announced dates don't quite work, but I wonder if the 2028 gap leaves room for the proposed club world cup?

https://www.espn.com.au/rugby/story/_/id/39905136/rugby-club-world-cup-set-launched-2028-sources

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Problem with Fiji in the RC window is that they typically don't have their European based players (see this year's PNC (Pacific Nations Cup) (Pacific Nations Cup) - it's essentially the Drua).

Expanding on this further, is there a risk that with the Rugby Championship not played during the SA/NZ tour years that Argentina prioritise the Nations Championship, and allow their star players to stay with their clubs during August/September instead of playing some kind of series against us?

Goosestep

Jim Clark (26)
Problem with Fiji in the RC window is that they typically don't have their European based players (see this year's PNC (Pacific Nations Cup) (Pacific Nations Cup) - it's essentially the Drua).
The fact so many Fijians are playing in Europe instead of Australia is the real issue

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
The fact so many Fijians are playing in Europe instead of Australia is the real issue

Agreed, ideally most of the top pacific islander players would be playing here in an NRL type comp (either Australian only domestic competition, or Super Rugby evolving into this). But it would require significant $$ and change in strategy.

JRugby2

Bill Watson (15)
They do - RC is covered under Reg 9 - but it's been reported that players are either pressured ("if you go - we won't offer you another contract") or feel like they owe their club loyalty.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
They do - RC is covered under Reg 9 - but it's been reported that players are either pressured ("if you go - we won't offer you another contract") or feel like they owe their club loyalty.

I think it's also the fact that they don't really get paid much to play for their country, have to fly back and forth across the world at their own cost and lose out on their lucrative club salary in the meantime.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
I think it's also the fact that they don't really get paid much to play for their country, have to fly back and forth across the world at their own cost and lose out on their lucrative club salary in the meantime.
Of course they get pressured to not play.

You only had to see the interactions between Kolisi and Racing 92 recently to see that and he's the Captain of the World Champions.

Hard to blame these guys if they chose to stay at the Club. The money is life changing for more than just them and their immediate family.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
It's simpler than that.

The French clubs don't pay their salary for the period that they go on international duty.

With Australian match payments offering some kind compensation, it makes some kind of sense to think about playing. For the Fijians it's just money lost.

Last edited:

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Of course they get pressured to not play.

You only had to see the interactions between Kolisi and Racing 92 recently to see that and he's the Captain of the World Champions.

Hard to blame these guys if they chose to stay at the Club. The money is life changing for more than just them and their immediate family.
Which is why Brett Robinson should be running on a mandate of profit share and minimum game requirements for Tier 1 against Tier 2.