• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australian Rugby / RA

Crashy

John Solomon (38)
With no knowledge about it - I would say yes but I have a hunch RA and a few supporters would make up the difference.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Apparently there's an agreement in place with NZ not to choose many OS based players. And the Giteau law has been reduced to 1 cap only.

Also, we're going to take 64 players on the spring tour for a mix of Wallabies and Australia A. I feel for the 5 guys that aren't picked.

That's over the best XV from each Super team. I assume we'll be selecting a fair few OS players.

NRC also not coming back. But Club championship will exist next year.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Reading that Daniel Herbert seems to be taking a sensible approach. I know the NRC would be good, but budget wise perhaps not affordable so sticking with what they can afford, seems quite a good idea. He also says Schmidt only interested in one overseas based player, but if wants more than any particualr number he only has to approach the RA. On what we seen so far this year, the only overseas based player in the team is quite frankly probably one of their most disappointing players.

Last edited:

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
Reading that Daniel Herbert seems to be taking a sensible approach. I know the NRC would be good, but budget wise perhaps not affordable so sticking with what they can afford, seems quite a good idea. He also says Schmidt onlt interested in one overseas based player, but if wants more than any particualr number he only has to approach the RA. On what we seen so far this year, the only overseas based player in the team is quite frankly probably one of their most disappointing players.
Yeah MK is over the hump. Still a decent player but should we be using it on an outside back when it seems we do have a rop of young ones coming through who could be blooded and developed now like Toole, Lancaster, Jorgo and then the likes of Ryan looking exciting behind them. Could also be availability playing into it. Skelton or alike might be a desirable addition but the season timings kind of suck.

What is the option to more lower tier Rugby? Let the Clubs morph into a National Title season or run a Super Rugby A? Surely the simplest in terms of using existing structures?

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
I find it utterly repugnant. "It" being NZ pushing an "agreement" that dictates Wallaby selection. Repugnant.
I missed that bit about anyone pushing anything, but will listen to it a bit more to hear details. You have obviously read or heard more than me. But seems unfair if there is something binding like that only one way!

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Yeah MK is over the hump. Still a decent player but should we be using it on an outside back when it seems we do have a rop of young ones coming through who could be blooded and developed now like Toole, Lancaster, Jorgo and then the likes of Ryan looking exciting behind them. Could also be availability playing into it. Skelton or alike might be a desirable addition but the season timings kind of suck.

What is the option to more lower tier Rugby? Let the Clubs morph into a National Title season or run a Super Rugby A? Surely the simplest in terms of using existing structures?
I would agree with the thought of Super A comp, but as Herbert says perhaps finances prevent that? I like the way he says there needs to be a long term plan. And chopping and changing won't help. And seems to want to work with what they can afford?

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
I would agree with the thought of Super A comp, but as Herbert says perhaps finances prevent that? I like the way he says there needs to be a long term plan. And chopping and changing won't help. And seems to want to work with what they can afford?
I think it could work. Your'e not talking a huge amount of games but a place for Wallabies to stay ready/come back to fitness, keep the under contract Super players playing and give the next 10-15 best Club players a chance to show their worth. There isn't 30-50 Club players genuinely up to the next level so why spend the resources with heaps of un-followed teams and a lower standard comp. You might have spots over a few games for 10-15 and from that probably only 3-5 really have it in them to fill those last few roster spots.

We have the U16, 19s about to start. Could it be run at the same time? Also gives the sides a chance to develop coaches who can work in the RA and respective Super Rugby sides system.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think it could work. Your'e not talking a huge amount of games but a place for Wallabies to stay ready/come back to fitness, keep the under contract Super players playing and give the next 10-15 best Club players a chance to show their worth. There isn't 30-50 Club players genuinely up to the next level so why spend the resources with heaps of un-followed teams and a lower standard comp. You might have spots over a few games for 10-15 and from that probably only 3-5 really have it in them to fill those last few roster spots.

We have the U16, 19s about to start. Could it be run at the same time? Also gives the sides a chance to develop coaches who can work in the RA and respective Super Rugby sides system.
A national club comp will kill the weaker teams in QPR/SS. Why would players ever go to perennial lower markers? QRU really tried hard this year to share the new players around. Norths picked up Cormac Daly and JTA which lifted them.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)

Yep I can see that working perhaps start it after the club season, so clubs get some of their players back? I haven't really thought about it, but certainly has an appeal doesn't it?

hoggy

Nev Cottrell (35)
A national club comp will kill the weaker teams in QPR/SS. Why would players ever go to perennial lower markers? QRU really tried hard this year to share the new players around. Norths picked up Cormac Daly and JTA which lifted them.
Fuck, its not rocket science. You have 4 teams already, bring back the Rebels add one NSW & one QLD team, keep the Drua. You then run an 8 team domestic competition over a 14 week home & away plus finals so 17 weeks. You leave the city based club competitions as is.

You fuck off Super Rugby as it has been an unmitigated disaster for the code here.
One small problem, due to Super Rugby the game is broke, so sadly nothing will change so Herbert will just keep waffling on abut heading in the right direction.

JRugby2

Bill Watson (15)
At some point we're inevitably going to need a viable 3rd tier at which point this NCC probably ceases to exist. I don't see the point in introducing this as a stop gap beyond giving us more rugby (which I'm not against). I can't see the logic behind it being of value to the wallabies or super programs.

JRugby2

Bill Watson (15)
Fuck, its not rocket science. You have 4 teams already, bring back the Rebels add one NSW & one QLD team, keep the Drua. You then run an 8 team domestic competition over a 14 week home & away plus finals so 17 weeks. You leave the city based club competitions as is.

You fuck off Super Rugby as it has been an unmitigated disaster for the code here.
One small problem, due to Super Rugby the game is broke, so sadly nothing will change and Herbert will waffle on abut heading in the right direction.
Ah yeah - replace one unmitigated disaster of competition with another, weaker one. Less games a week than we currently have and 2 extra teams we need to find funding for (not including the rebels...)

hoggy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Ah yeah - replace one unmitigated disaster of competition with another, weaker one. Less games a week than we currently have and 2 extra teams we need to find funding for (not including the rebels...)
Yeah, how stupid imagine having NSW & QLD derbies to sell to the broadcasters and building up tribalism over the years, invite private owners to help fund things I mean the RA funding everything is working out so well, I mean look at the AFL & NRL they obviously have no idea what there doing.

hoggy

Nev Cottrell (35)
How many success stories from private ownership do we have so far? zero from three?

I wonder how much of RA's current debt is from bailing out private owners of Super Rugby clubs?
That debt is due to the unsustainable set up of Super Rugby. When your funding model relies on a Wallaby win ratio, yet doesn't take into account they are not the All Blacks and Rugby Union is a long way from the national sport of Australia, then you slowly chalk up what is it now $80 million in debt.

Private investment is not some magic wand to fix everything, but it can be part of the solution, but only when the fundamental structure of the competition allows for it.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
Private investment is not some magic wand to fix everything, but it can be part of the solution, but only when the fundamental structure of the competition allows for it.
What is the fundamental structure here?

Pay players and coaches in line with the revenue their teams generate?