• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australian Rugby / RA

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Pulling Super Rugby players in the 'weeks leading up' could be an overstep, depending on what this means; if it's 2 weeks/1 weekend, then players might miss 2 games; if it's any more than that, then it's an issue.

If that's what they need to make this concept work, it loses it's value.
Yeah agreed - even if you adopt something similar to League where teams get a bye either side of the Origin i.e. Teams 1-4 don't play the weekend before while teams 5-8 don't play the weekend after. There isn't enough Australian teams to really make that work AND keep enough games available on the weekend.

Perhaps they should lean into the spectacle and make an "Super Rugby All-Stars" match.

Simply taking away multiple matches is not in anyones interest.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
Yeah agreed - even if you adopt something similar to League where teams get a bye either side of the Origin i.e. Teams 1-4 don't play the weekend before while teams 5-8 don't play the weekend after. There isn't enough Australian teams to really make that work AND keep enough games available on the weekend.

Perhaps they should lean into the spectacle and make an "Super Rugby All-Stars" match.

Simply taking away multiple matches is not in anyones interest.
This would have about as much buzz as Super Round. Can't see sides wanting to release players to an irrelevant game that still has the risk of injury.

Adam84

Rod McCall (65)
While there is an argument that withdrawing those rep players from the NRL 'works for the NRL & State of Origin' therefore, it should work for the union, it's not without its own controversy. Given the size of the squads and player pool they're pulling from, it varies significantly also.

State of Origin equates to 11% of all matchday NRL players.
A Bledisloe Cup equates to 22% of all matchday Super Rugby(Aus & NZ) players.

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
Bledisloe is the pinnacle of rugby games in this country - moving it away from NRL home stretch as teams push for the top 8 might be a bonanza for viewership.

does the NRLs attempt celebrate Anzac Day resonate with anyone as 2 Aussie teams battling each other?

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
Rereading the article, it sounds like what is being proposed in 2026 is WA government paying for a Super Round on the same weekend as the Test in Perth (not sure how that works with ANZAC Day being a Saturday and with Wallaroos and Black Ferns on too), with Wallaby/All Blacks missing the week before, as well as the Super Round games

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
Bledisloe is the pinnacle of rugby games in this country - moving it away from NRL home stretch as teams push for the top 8 might be a bonanza for viewership.

does the NRLs attempt celebrate Anzac Day resonate with anyone as 2 Aussie teams battling each other?
ANZAC Day game is being proposed to be in addition to the regular Bledisloe games

Tomthumb

Desmond Connor (43)
It all just feel like a little pat on the head from NZ while they bugger off to South Africa and we are forced to play in the Pacific nations cup

Marce

John Hipwell (52)
We need some beefy centres that can defend all day and break tackles before offloading. They are a dime a dozen in league. Pull a couple of such mid range players and offer them a respectable deal.
I proposed that here, some time ago and some users laughed at me

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The big issue with Super Round in Perth is the kiwi time zone, especially if you have to play 3 games on Sunday

(Eg 2 games Friday, 2 tests on ANZAC day, 3 games Sunday???)

The Kiwis own Super Round, so I would imagine they would be scheduling as many of their matches to be during the day to coincide with their prime time back home...

Butt I just can't see Super Round and Bledisloe co-existing on the same weekend... but this is Super Rugby so I wouldn't be surprised if they scheduled the Bledisloe on the same weekend as the semi finals.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)

Is this a new thing? I can't recall seeing this before

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)

No

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)

Not new, but only recently resurrected (2022 I think). Looks like the teams have had a bit of a reshuffle though (no Vic, WA).
The 2024 men's ARS will be contested by QLD Country Heelers, NSW Country Cockatoos, TAS Jack Jumpers, SA Black Falcons, Queensland Suburban (aka "Subbies) and an Australian Defence Force side.

The 2024 women's ARS will feature ACT & SNSW Kestrels, QLD Country Orchids, NSW Country Corellas, SA Black Falcons, Queensland Suburban (aka "Kelpies") and an Australian Defence Force side.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Probably not the guy who tanked the Wallabies' world cup campaign, overspent RA's finances without any oversight and tried to go to war with the Super Rugby clubs...
Yet Waugh was also on the board for that and killed the club and the pathway that delivers the third most wallabies

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I think it’s pretty important to have your front office structure sorted in this scenario.

the head coach would of gone with was Kevin Foote/Nic stiles who did tremendous job with the rebels considering the circumstances…. But alas the team that finished on a lower rung of the ladder then the rebels thumbed their nose at these options
Kevin Foote coached the Rebels for longer than one season. Rebels results under Foote:

2021 - 4th (out of 5) in Super Rugby AU
- 9th (out of 10) in Super Rugby TT
2022 - 10th (out of 12)
2023 - 11th
2024 - 8th

Not sure Foote has a record that's hard to thumb one's nose at...