• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australian Rugby / RA

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
And even the best scenario gives them a small surplus come the beginning of 2028. So if they don't then replace Super Rugby and use that capital and whatever they can scrape up with private money to start a domestic competition, then the game deserves to completely disappear down a big fucking black hole in this country.
The expected scenario has RA with substantially more money in the bank in 2028 then it has ever had doesn't it?

dru

David Wilson (68)
I don't think the current board would be categorised as outstanding, but I don't think they have been disastrous either.

Out of interest, what metric would you need to agree to "disastrous"? Seems to me right now that rugby is going down the gurgler.

hoggy

Nev Cottrell (35)
The expected scenario has RA with substantially more money in the bank in 2028 then it has ever had doesn't it?
Sorry I'm just a bit suspicious of those promises of rivers of gold, rugby here has a long tradition of chasing endless rainbows promising Nirvana at the end, especially as we currently sit with something like $80 million in debt.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Out of interest, what metric would you need to agree to "disastrous"? Seems to me right now that rugby is going down the gurgler.
That is a problem that has been inherited by the current board, they didn't cause it. Sure, there is some crossover in the personnel but this has been a systemic issue since 2003. As I said, they need time and money to be able to do anything, and really they can't do anything significant until the money starts to roll in next year. I'm speculating here, but I think Joe Schmidt's brief is to build a team that is competitive (not necessarily win) against the Lions, so we don't embarass ourselves, hence why he is only signed till next year. Again what I said is it's what they then do with the money that will define them, and step 1 has to be to able to offer more domestic professional contracts, which means a domestic pro comp of some description - I'll keep an open mind on what that entails specifically at this point in time.

If you can propose a board which is realistic/affordable, and provide some justifcation that they can 'fix things' right now, I'm all ears.

Tomthumb

Desmond Connor (43)
I'm certainly not a fan of this conciliatory tone towards the All Blacks and Springboks basically sidelining us to play amongst themselves and talking up an Anzac test that will take over 40 players out of Super Rugby like it's some big win

McClennan had some absolute howlers, but it was his hardline attitude that got us a better slice of the Super Rugby Broadcast deal after NZR tried shafting us on that too

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I'm certainly not a fan of this conciliatory tone towards the All Blacks and Springboks basically sidelining us to play amongst themselves and talking up an Anzac test that will take over 40 players out of Super Rugby like it's some big win

McClennan had some absolute howlers, but it was his hardline attitude that got us a better slice of the Super Rugby Broadcast deal after NZR tried shafting us on that too
Agree with your points but wouldn't they just have a bye?

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
The discussion was to have it at the end of a super round in Perth
OK I hadn't read up on it. Scrap that, super round the week before then the Bledisloe on actual ANZAC Day. Edit: have the standalone test on the nearest Saturday to ANZAC Day with a bye week.

Last edited:

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

While we're now forced into a change in the calendar because NZ and SA moved first I think it's well and truly due. Things have got fairly stale and we need to add more variation across the cycle.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)

Remember, though, that it would also take 40 players out of the NZ Super Rugby teams. Some teams would win and some would lose, that's what happens with change, but there is nothing intrinsically unfair if they proceed along these lines.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
Yeah I don't really see the big deal when our game feeds from above.

If the NRL make it work with SOO when the NRL season is the money maker then Super Rugby can cope with a one off game that may affect a couple of rounds given you can schedule some byes in as well.

If something like this was to work and get a bit of buzz being a spectacle it is only a good thing. One of those events you sell to state governments or have it move around and be a go to for Rugby fans.

Wallaby Man

Nev Cottrell (35)
My understanding is that wallaby and AB players will be pulled from Super Rugby not just in Super Round but the weeks leading up to this. Pretty sure I read that somewhere. If this is the case, why do they have to miss a few weeks in advance when neither team would be getting an advantage in the lead up. Super Rugby is cooked.

If they did this and they decide to have their marquee round without international stars. What a farce. I have no issue with players missing a single round for what to me is obviously a good idea with the Anzac test, but during super round????Clowns if this is the decision making.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Biggest thing would probably be making sure the Drua plays Moana that weekend so there's not a full strength side vs a depleted one, but I get the impression they're moving that way anyway. Could even look at booking a Fiji v Samoa/Tonga test in too, though that may draw too many players out from those teams. Maybe a Pacific All Stars vs some sort of barbarians side or Japan/Argentina/combined US and Canada?

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
My understanding is that wallaby and AB players will be pulled from Super Rugby not just in Super Round but the weeks leading up to this. Pretty sure I read that somewhere. If this is the case, why do they have to miss a few weeks in advance when neither team would be getting an advantage in the lead up. Super Rugby is cooked.

If they did this and they decide to have their marquee round without international stars. What a farce. I have no issue with players missing a single round for what to me is obviously a good idea with the Anzac test, but during super round????Clowns if this is the decision making.
One possible, perhaps unintended consequence, might be more competitive games overall with the top players missing from the top teams. Wouldn't this be a positive effect on the attractiveness of the games and at the same time potentially ginger up the standings on the ladder a bit?

Adam84

Rod McCall (65)
Pulling Super Rugby players in the 'weeks leading up' could be an overstep, depending on what this means; if it's 2 weeks/1 weekend, then players might miss 2 games; if it's any more than that, then it's an issue.

If that's what they need to make this concept work, it loses it's value.

Tomthumb

Desmond Connor (43)
Remember, though, that it would also take 40 players out of the NZ Super Rugby teams. Some teams would win and some would lose, that's what happens with change, but there is nothing intrinsically unfair if they proceed along these lines.
It's not about being unfair, it's about continuing to show fans Super Rugby doesn't matter while trying to monetize it. It's moronic

Tomthumb

Desmond Connor (43)
While we're now forced into a change in the calendar because NZ and SA moved first I think it's well and truly due. Things have got fairly stale and we need to add more variation across the cycle.
Maybe, but I don't think waiting at the kiddies table for NZ to throw us a bone is the change we need

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Sorry I'm just a bit suspicious of those promises of rivers of gold, rugby here has a long tradition of chasing endless rainbows promising Nirvana at the end, especially as we currently sit with something like $80 million in debt.

Especially given we have so much less quality product to sell in the post-2025 landscape. Reduced TRC, fewer inbound tests against traditional rivals, smaller Super Rugby.