• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australian Rugby / RA

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
I wish we had McLennan tbh. Dude was connected with people at newscorp and I have more faith in him getting the best tv deal .
You reckon he'd be trying to pressure his mates into paying overs? On the contrary, I'm very glad he's not negotiating the next deal.

Considering the NewsCorp reporting (and lack thereof) surrounding rugby during McLennan's tenure, I'm not too sure he would've had much sway anyway...

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
No, you've been delivering some wild comments today...

I’m not some wallabies simp fan who gets all nostalgic feels about former wallabies in the top job.

I’d rather a person with the proper business acumen who will deliver us the results regardless of if they are a top bloke (or top gal)

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I’m not some wallabies simp fan who gets all nostalgic feels about former wallabies in the top job.

I’d rather a person with the proper business acumen who will deliver us the results regardless of if they are a top bloke (or top gal)

Probably not the guy who tanked the Wallabies' world cup campaign, overspent RA's finances without any oversight and tried to go to war with the Super Rugby clubs...

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Probably not the guy who tanked the Wallabies' world cup campaign, overspent RA's finances without any oversight and tried to go to war with the Super Rugby clubs...

It takes the proper business acumen to understand that if you flog the company credit card on the way out the door it's the other stakeholders that have to pay the bill.

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
McLennan - famously delivering results for RA

McLennan got us a monetary gift for the tv rights for the World Cup.

RWC sold us out and sold the rights to channel 9 for 2027 while RA has been trying to negotiate our next tv deal.

surely you see this as a good thing McLennan did?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

RWC sold us out and sold the rights to channel 9 for 2027 while RA has been trying to negotiate our next tv deal.

Isn't that monetary gift, also negotiated by Marinos which had nothing to do with TV rights, going to be swallowed up by the loan he took out?

The RWC broadcast rights are not ours to sell...

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
Isn't that monetary gift, which had nothing to do with TV rights, going to be swallowed up by the loan he took out?

The RWC broadcast rights are not ours to sell...

I think the issue with RWC was it would be better for RA to negotiate their deal first with stakeholders such as channel 9, Fox and Amazon etc and then IRB would follow suit with their tendering of broadcast rights.

Now that channel 9 scored rugbys pinnacle tournament - why would the other bidders be interested in tendering on RA broadcast deal if they don’t have access to RWC

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

The RWC is a joint venture between the local union and World Rugby. There is a payment negotiated as part of that.

It's not a monetary gift. It's literally how the home nation makes money out of the RWC.

The previous model whereby the host nation pays a fee to World Rugby to host the cup and in return keeps the ticketing revenue has ended. Attributing this as some sort of incredible deal McLennan did is ridiculous.

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
The RWC is a joint venture between the local union and World Rugby. There is a payment negotiated as part of that.

It's not a monetary gift. It's literally how the home nation makes money out of the RWC.

The previous model whereby the host nation pays a fee to World Rugby to host the cup and in return keeps the ticketing revenue has ended. Attributing this as some sort of incredible deal McLennan did is ridiculous.

one of Australia’s most respected rugby journalist would disagree braveheart

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
Exactly!! Surely Schmidt would want this? A Wallaby playing every week for a franchise that needs wingers rather than a possible bench spot or in and out to share the game time. Plus, he seems to want to go to Perth. That to me sums up Rugby Australia.
Presumably, you would be just as happy if a Force player broke his contract and moved to NSW with RA's blessing?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
"The 2023 Rugby World Cup in France is the last under the old World Rugby model, where the host paid a fee and kept all ticketing revenue. For 2027, Rugby Australia has struck a revenue share agreement as a minority partner in a joint venture hosting deal with World Rugby. The amount and/or percentage has not been disclosed but RA chairman Hamish McLennan has previously targeted a $100 million windfall."

This is from July 2023.

Yoda

Alex Ross (28)
Presumably, you would be just as happy if a Force player broke his contract and moved to NSW with RA's blessing?
You are missing the point.The Force are short. The Tahs are top heavy. And there’s this thing called CENTRALISATION…where the talent is supposed to be spread out… and Pietsch isn’t being told… he actually wants to go. Got it?

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
You are missing the point.The Force are short. The Tahs are top heavy. And there’s this thing called CENTRALISATION…where the talent is supposed to be spread out… and Pietsch isn’t being told… he actually wants to go. Got it?

The Force haven't signed on for centralisation, and the Waratahs, with whom Pietsch actually has a contract, don't want him to leave (presumably).

Until the Force hand over the keys, RA won't, and shouldn't, facilitate Super Rugby teams poaching of each others in-contract players. That way lies madness