• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australian Rugby / RA

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
If the Wright and Petaia situations are correct as reported, it smacks a bit of payback for the Reds helping to undermine RA's plan for the collectivism of rugby during the year. We all know RA has had minimal interest in the Force over the years and that looks to be their approach to the Brumbies now too. Did anyone ever get to the bottom of stories about RA being behind the exclusion of Jahrome Brown and Tamati Tua from the Brumbies? Really fertile ground for conspiracy theories atm.
Wouldn't that just be part of the desire to prioritise squad spots for Wallabies' eligible players now that there are less of them?

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I don't think he should be getting a top up either, but it does say 'earlier this year' and that it's only small, so maybe it just happened to be at a time he was playing well and was a bit higher up on Joe's 'possibles' list. Wright should definitely be getting one though, and I'd say he will whenever the next round is.
I know it says earlier this year, that's part of what's so ridiculous about it. Gamble's resigning was announced May this year and he wasn't in better form than McReight or Wright and you'd have a hard time arguing he was in better form than Wilkin, Tizzano, Reimer or Scott. Certainly he wasn't putting in the week in week out performances that suggested he was pushing for wallabies squad inclusion.

If he was so well regarded in the planning then I can't see why he wouldn't have still been in the frame when McReight and Wright were injured and we pulled in two other 7s ahead of him. Even if he was and fell so far from grace in the interim there's no reason to have gone so early offering an uncapped player a contract, it's an entirely unesscery gamble.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Brown was Wallaby eligible.

Only just this year though, after a lengthy period at the Brumbies...

I don't see any issue with either of them being moved on, with the Brumbies having Reimer and Scott on the books and Tua realistically never likely to play for Australia.

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
the 80 million dollar loan to RA was essentially to bankroll the Waratahs rebuild.

I think it’s time for all the other super rugby provinces to revolt against NSW

remember when rugby fans were begging the rebels board not to sue RA cause it will cripple the game. Folks we are here and the game is crippled

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
the 80 million dollar loan to RA was essentially to bankroll the Waratahs rebuild.

I think it’s time for all the other super rugby provinces to revolt against NSW

remember when rugby fans were begging the rebels board not to sue RA cause it will cripple the game. Folks we are here and the game is crippled
Because Charlie Gamble got a small top-up and Liam Wright didn't? A fuck up, clearly. But you are being silly.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
There is no point in trying to find logic in any of that. It is RA after all.
Those players allowed to slip away while there is another ridiculous deal on the table for a league player. No top up for Liam Wright? He must have been torn when asked to captain the Wallabies.
Nucifora walks again to somewhere that will listen to him and make use of his knowledge. Horne is Waughs puppet. RA is as fucked up as ever. They never learn the harsh lessons dealt to them and us and the old boys network still runs the show.
It’s hard work being an Aussie rugby supporter.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Those players allowed to slip away while there is another ridiculous deal on the table for a league player. No top up for Liam Wright? He must have been torn when asked to captain the Wallabies.
Nucifora walks again to somewhere that will listen to him and make use of his knowledge. Horne is Waughs puppet. RA is as fucked up as ever. They never learn the harsh lessons dealt to them and us and the old boys network still runs the show.
It will be a lot easier for me when the Bears come back...

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
A big part of the issue is that many poor decisions have been made, but they seem to be delegated by a random FUBAR generator to different departments within the organisation. For example, the mystery money for Sua'alii, not to mention the weird goings on above.
From what I have heard re Nucifora in the past, from a very good source, he has never really been disposed to another major role in Australia, so his "arrangement" seems less strange to me. I suspect they were lucky to get whatever they got from him.
What we can see is that players who are a bit "fringe" for the Wallabies would rather lock in a nice assured income overseas while they can than deal with organisations in Aus.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
What's the logic behind not letting Pietch join the Force?
He signed a two year extension with the Tahs for 2024 and to end of 2025, very early in 2023. We probably need to know more about what went on?

Was he trying to go to the Force in early 2023, or break his Tahs contract and head over to Perth in 2024, or 2025?

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
Because Charlie Gamble got a small top-up and Liam Wright didn't? A fuck up, clearly. But you are being silly.

how about all the other punch drunk spendathon RA is doing for the Tahs.

it’s not just Charlie Gamble is making sure wallaby top up money is going to Sualli, Kellaway and Jorgensen - but when another franchise asks for assistance similar to what the tahs are getting it’s bloody silence & crickets.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)

it’s not just Charlie Gamble is making sure wallaby top up money is going to Sualli, Kellaway and Jorgensen - but when another franchise asks for assistance similar to what the tahs are getting it’s bloody silence & crickets.
The only one I agree with there is Jorgensen. I don't know why they threw so much money at him.

The Suaallii deal was another of McLennan's captains calls. I think it was always likely Kellaway would end up back in Sydney and the majority of the Rebels additions were already under contracts which are being honored.

Its also worth noting year on year the Tahs have a net loss of players with RA top-ups.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
The intense dislike of the Tahs by a handful of posters here is verging on an issue that requires psychological help.
I am no RA fanboy, in fact some of their decisions have been catastrophic, but I find it interesting that when the Chairman was from NSW everything was his fault, but now that the chairman is from another state everything is the CEO's fault.
We all have our bias, but at the end of the day the Tahs are just a group of young guys who like to play rugby, and the administration are a group of people who are devoting their life to the game, even if we don't agree with their decisions.

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
The intense dislike of the Tahs by a handful of posters here is verging on an issue that requires psychological help.
I am no RA fanboy, in fact some of their decisions have been catastrophic, but I find it interesting that when the Chairman was from NSW everything was his fault, but now that the chairman is from another state everything is the CEO's fault.
We all have our bias, but at the end of the day the Tahs are just a group of young guys who like to play rugby, and the administration are a group of people who are devoting their life to the game, even if we don't agree with their decisions.

I’m not a fan of Dan Herbert. Think his out of his depth in the role and look forward to the day he is replaced

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)

to be fair slim. These contracts were signed when they were with the rebels and due to the way the rugby contracts are done in this country the player has some input into where they end up playing

you haven’t forgotten RA was trying to steer these boys to NSW and they all put their foot down

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
It’s something that has left the Force livid, especially given Dylan Pietsch’s desire to head west has been knocked on its head by the national body.
RA not wanting Super Rugby teams to poach players already under contract to another Super Rugby side is not nearly as bad a thing as Christy is trying to make this sound here