• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australian Rugby / RA

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
They won't be keen to, until/unless the money looks too good to refuse, then they'll be falling over themselves to welcome them. The Welsh, Scottish and French are all in varying degrees of financial trouble and the English aren't exactly without issues either. If they see South Africa as a solution, they'll take it.

That said I don't think it particularly likely at the moment, but it's not that improbable either.
How do SA bring a lot of money to the table?

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
How do SA bring a lot of money to the table?
That's the question, but apparently it's a big payout from super sport funding the NZ/SA tour, so there's some indication there would be the potential for increased broadcast money coming in there with more South African interest. The other part is more content means more money from existing deals and another home test each every 2nd season. Bringing in a team at the level of the springboks wouldn't dilute the quality (or maybe more importantly 'prestige') of what's on offer in the way adding another European side like Georgia might.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
That's the question, but apparently it's a big payout from super sport funding the NZ/SA tour, so there's some indication there would be the potential for increased broadcast money coming in there with more South African interest. The other part is more content means more money from existing deals and another home test each every 2nd season. Bringing in a team at the level of the springboks wouldn't dilute the quality (or maybe more importantly 'prestige') of what's on offer in the way adding another European side like Georgia might.
Yeah, I just don't see the financial upside being so great that 6N stalwarts would want it. If member unions are struggling financially now, the cash injection would need to be pretty large. Are extra SA TV numbers gonna do that? Dunno. I think existing 6N teams' fans are not suddenly going to watch more either because SA are in it. I have not seen much talk from that side of the equation - it more commonly seems to be from the SA side.
Anyway, if SA want to go that way, good luck to them.
The 6N teams can deal with SA rugby twitter!

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
I really hope the wallabies drastically improve over the next 3 years and start winning against NZ and the Boks more consistently so this tour idea becomes ridiculous. the Boks had a good year this year against us but usualy it's 50/50 against the wallabies and that's when we have been playing like puss

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
South African TV money is huge in comparison to Australian and NZ TV money, but it's dwarfed by what the six nations can currently demand.

It doesn't seem like there's much chance of a SA Six nations happening at the moment

Marce

John Hipwell (52)
I read something about a tour to England to compete against SA-NZ agreement. Something like the Ashes. Is it just a crazy idea or is there something? I think is a pretty good idea

Marce

John Hipwell (52)
RA is gonna got cash from RWC and Lions Tour. Nobody, the board and benefactors, can see that a superstar back like Sua'ali'i is not gonna solve all the problems? Ok, he's a good marketing movement cause he's young and famous in Australia buuut if you are a 9th nation, no advertising can help you. If they can't see that Skelton, Rory Arnold and Kerevi are more important than Sua'ali'i then RA is run by people who know nothing about rugby

wamberal99

Bob Loudon (25)
RA is gonna got cash from RWC and Lions Tour. Nobody, the board and benefactors, can see that a superstar back like Sua'ali'i is not gonna solve all the problems? Ok, he's a good marketing movement cause he's young and famous in Australia buuut if you are a 9th nation, no advertising can help you. If they can't see that Skelton, Rory Arnold and Kerevi are more important than Sua'ali'i then RA is run by people who know nothing about rugby

The current board is not responsible for the acquisition of Sua'ali'i. I happen to think he will be a sensation. Skelton and Arnold are not for sale, so their selection (or non-selection) has nothing to do with his availability.

Finally, with all due respect, I am pretty sure that RA is run by people who know a lot about the game. Maybe more than you, with the greatest of respect.

Marce

John Hipwell (52)
The current board is not responsible for the acquisition of Sua'ali'i. I happen to think he will be a sensation. Skelton and Arnold are not for sale, so their selection (or non-selection) has nothing to do with his availability.
You can pay a bunch of money to Eddie Jones in the past, a bunch of money to Israel Folau in compensation or a big contract to Sua'ali'i but can't afford big contracts to players that the team really needs

Finally, with all due respect, I am pretty sure that RA is run by people who know a lot about the game. Maybe more than you, with the greatest of respect.

Maybe they know more than me but they know less than the people who run NZRU, SARU, AFL or NRL. I refer to the evidence

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I wonder if after our shellacking this weekend and the All Blacks losing their third game of the season, that there might be a meeting of the minds between the two unions? The current setup between our two countries is probably not working for the Kiwis as much as it isn't for us.

Mick The Munch

Vay Wilson (31)
I wonder if after our shellacking this weekend and the All Blacks losing their third game of the season, that there might be a meeting of the minds between the two unions? The current setup between our two countries is probably not working for the Kiwis as much as it isn't for us.
I think this will encourage the opposite, Steel sharpens steel, the ABs will look for more tier 1 competition, which (as hard as it is to say), Australian right is not, and doesn’t appear will be in the next 10 years

LevitatingSocks

Bill Watson (15)
Maybe a ridiculous question, but is there anyone from the Sevens side we could look into raiding for the Wallabies?

I'm still quite unconvinced by our outside backs.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
They are already making moves to improve their situation by ditching us entirely.