• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australian Rugby / RA

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
to be fair slim. These contracts were signed when they were with the rebels and due to the way the rugby contracts are done in this country the player has some input into where they end up playing

you haven’t forgotten RA was trying to steer these boys to NSW and they all put their foot down
Unless signing for the Waratahs of course - in which case they were strong-armed by RA to bolster the Tahs squad. Right?

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
Unless signing for the Waratahs of course - in which case they were strong-armed by RA to bolster the Tahs squad. Right?

there was heaps of players who did not want to go to the Waratahs

some were further convinced once head coach got signed on - are we all suddenly forgetting how RA mismanaged the handling of rebels?

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
there was heaps of players who did not want to go to the Waratahs

some were further convinced once head coach got signed on - are we all suddenly forgetting how RA mismanaged the handling of rebels?
Ah so you contend that RA intentionally sunk the Rebels to compel talent to move to NSW?

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
The reality, SouthenX, is that players were reluctant to sign with the Tahs as they didn't have a coach for 2025. Once McKellar was confirmed, the signings came. Many had already signed with the Reds because their coaching situation was settled. But pop your tinfoil hat back on and believe what you like.

Tomthumb

Desmond Connor (43)
He signed a two year extension with the Tahs for 2024 and to end of 2025, very early in 2023. We probably need to know more about what went on?

Was he trying to go to the Force in early 2023, or break his Tahs contract and head over to Perth in 2024, or 2025?
Maybe, I just think it's better for Australian rugby for him to be starting every week at the force as opposed to struggling for a game at the Tahs with Suaalli and Lancaster coming in

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
Ah so you contend that RA intentionally sunk the Rebels to compel talent to move to NSW?

nope - rebels management got themselves into a bind. Previous leadership may or may not have provided that there was help coming down the turnpike.

I think we’d be in a better position with McLennan at the helm as opposed to Herbert/Waugh but that’s a rabbit hole for another day

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
The reality, SouthenX, is that players were reluctant to sign with the Tahs as they didn't have a coach for 2025. Once McKellar was confirmed, the signings came. Many had already signed with the Reds because their coaching situation was settled. But pop your tinfoil hat back on and believe what you like.

I agree once the coach came on board the players attitude change - but still bush league stuff by Waratahs firing a coach and the delay in getting the next gentlemen lined up

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
I agree once the coach came on board the players attitude change - but still bush league stuff by Waratahs firing a coach and the delay in getting the next gentlemen lined up
Going off thread here a little - but who was available? Did you want the Tahs to do an RA and just do a global search of the car park to get the next available numpty regardless of ability, or actually try and put some thought into it?

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
Going off thread here a little - but who was available? Did you want the Tahs to do an RA and just do a global search of the car park to get the next available numpty regardless of ability, or actually try and put some thought into it?

I think it’s pretty important to have your front office structure sorted in this scenario.

the head coach would of gone with was Kevin Foote/Nic stiles who did tremendous job with the rebels considering the circumstances…. But alas the team that finished on a lower rung of the ladder then the rebels thumbed their nose at these options

Yoda

Alex Ross (28)
Maybe, I just think it's better for Australian rugby for him to be starting every week at the force as opposed to struggling for a game at the Tahs with Suaalli and Lancaster coming in
Exactly!! Surely Schmidt would want this? A Wallaby playing every week for a franchise that needs wingers rather than a possible bench spot or in and out to share the game time. Plus, he seems to want to go to Perth. That to me sums up Rugby Australia.

Tomthumb

Desmond Connor (43)
Exactly!! Surely Schmidt would want this? A Wallaby playing every week for a franchise that needs wingers rather than a possible bench spot or in and out to share the game time. Plus, he seems to want to go to Perth. That to me sums up Rugby Australia.
And it goes against the exact thing Dan Herbert was going around talking about

I wish these guys would back up their words once in a while

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
the head coach would of gone with was Kevin Foote/Nic stiles who did tremendous job with the rebels considering the circumstances…. But alas the team that finished on a lower rung of the ladder then the rebels thumbed their nose at these options

What have you been smoking?

Tomthumb

Desmond Connor (43)
I think it’s pretty important to have your front office structure sorted in this scenario.

That man deserves to be no where near being in charge of player salaries

Tomthumb

Desmond Connor (43)
Stiles is a good man, built a great roster - he didn't sign the cheques - Rebels AND RA did
He negotiated them. Built a decent roster with money no one had

He and Baden Stephenson's inability to use a calculator are why the Rebel's aren't here anymore. RA deserve plenty of blame in other areas that we don't need to blame them for others lack of financial literacy

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
He negotiated them. Built a decent roster with money no one had

He and Baden Stephenson's inability to use a calculator are why the Rebel's aren't here anymore. RA deserve plenty of blame in other areas that we don't need to blame them for others lack of financial literacy

Or the theory that’s been floated around many times that money was due to come back to the super rugby clubs associated with the cost cutting measures during covid.

if you think the relief is incoming and because of a hostile board takeover your left with Phil and Dan who reneged

I wish we had McLennan tbh. Dude was connected with people at newscorp and I have more faith in him getting the best tv deal .

Crashy

John Solomon (38)
Or the theory that’s been floated around many times that money was due to come back to the super rugby clubs associated with the cost cutting measures during covid.

if you think the relief is incoming and because of a hostile board takeover your left with Phil and Dan who reneged

I wish we had McLennan tbh. Dude was connected with people at newscorp and I have more faith in him getting the best tv deal .
Dude - the bloke blew the place up. Captain's calls - fucked off everyone who worked with him. CEO left after about a week of him joining.