• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australia vs British and Irish Lions 2nd Test (Melbourne)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
RH, it's not like you to take talk from the Wallabies on faith like that. Are you okay?

Richo - can I gently refer you to Bruce Ross' 'golden law of posting sarcasm'. It goes something like this: the more sarcastic the piece, oddly, the more readers seem to conclude the author is deadly serious and take every word at face value. He swears by it.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
You've hit the nail on the head there; NZ's first-choice fly half wasn't available. I'm saying that our first choice fly half needs to have the passing/running/kicking game that he doesn't need to rely on other people to do his job. This is the reason I prefer a ball running second five; because your fly half should be able to get all the other stuff done. It's also the reason I prefer Barrett to Cruden. I think he has a more complete game and wouldn't need a second five to help him out.

Cruden is pretty good in that regard now, just earlier in his career. Both he and Donald could pass but were good running type 1st 5's that used their short kicking games a fair bit.

I know I'm probably in a very small minority here, but I think JOC (James O'Connor) can do the job at 1st 5 this weekend. He was still pretty active in taking the ball to the line. I'm sure the coaches will have shown him plenty of tape of opportunities he could've exploited far better.

Time to get behind the kid. Sure he's not above critical analysis, but some of the tone of posting (not you specifically, but in general terms) smacked of "I told you so" and seemed like some were waiting for failure just to come on here to vent.

BDA - it's going to be massive here in Melb. The Aussies will get behind their team. Walking around town at lunchtime I saw people in Lions jersies, Rebels jersies and even Wallaby jersies. It was great to see even for this diehard AB fan.

Cassius88

Sydney Middleton (9)
Time to get behind the kid. Sure he's not above critical analysis, but some of the tone of posting (not you specifically, but in general terms) smacked of "I told you so" and seemed like some were waiting for failure just to come on here to vent.

I get what you're saying and I think it's understandable to see the analysis (even very critical analysis) for the couple of days after. Towards the end of the week I'm sure we'll start seeing some more measured posts about the positives looking forward and how JOC (James O'Connor) can win this game for us. To this point, if JOC (James O'Connor) plays well on Saturday we will win this test, and I think he's a fantastic footballer and right now we're a bit starved for 5/8s.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
Donuts defiantly Genia, JOC (James O'Connor) and lilo. Is cummins good to go? and falau on the wings

Outside center? That's the big question. Has to be Ron Horne. We will have a wide game but when needed there will always e a strait runner in the backline strait ending the defence wether o not e gets the ball. Lilo can choose to skip him or use him.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I don't think Coopy is out yet Shiggins but if he is, 13 is a big problem. I think I would prefer Taps to Horne at 13 strangely.

Oh, and who is donuts?

Pusser

Larry Dwyer (12)
[quote="Cassius88, post: 504788, member: understandable to see the analysis (even very critical analysis[/quote]

Plenty of opinion here but not much critical analysis ie logical, reasoned and impartial deconstruction of the issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Cassius88

Sydney Middleton (9)
Plenty of opinion here but not much critical analysis ie logical, reasoned and impartial deconstruction of the issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Au contraire, I think there has been plenty of critical analysis. I've seen very little "O'Connor sucks!!!" sorts of statements and much more "O'Connor had very little impact on the game as evidenced by his stats and shown in videos analysing the opportunities he missed". The G&GR community don't usually put up with the former and are quite good at the latter. What exactly are you referring to?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

I see your point, but the only "I told you so's" I'm seeing here are around Deans' selection, not against JOC (James O'Connor) himself. Many of us (me included) think he's a dynamite 12 in the making, but doesn't have the game management skills (yet) to play in a position where one of your prime objectives is to bring other players into the game.

If he plays 10 on the weekend I hope he has a blinder and we win. If he doesn't and we lose then I hope for his sake and that of the Wallabies that his continued selection at five eighth would be reconsidered. He's in our best XV, absolutely no doubt. I just think he's better used in a wider channel. You could swap he and Lilo around and it would work a lot better IMHO.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Would love to see how this would look

9 Genia
10 Beale
11 Cummins
12 Lilo
13 JOC (James O'Connor)
14 Tomane
15 Izzy

20 Phipps
21 Taps
22 Morahan

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
Why are you ruling Ashley-Cooper out?

1. Benn Robinson
2. Stephen Moore
3. Ben Alexander
4. Kane Douglas
5. James Horwill
6. Ben Mowen
7. Michael Hooper
8. Wycliff Palu
9. Will Genia
10. James O'Connor
11. Joe Tomane
12. Christian Lealiifano
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper
14. Israel Folau
15. Kurtley Beale

16. Saia Fainga'a
17. James Slipper
18. Sekope Kepu
19. Hugh McMeniman/Peter Kimlin
20. Liam Gill
21. Nick Phipps
22. Rob Horne
23. Jesse Mogg

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
More then anything else its a injustice to JOC (James O'Connor) himself to be playing out of position. His first dozen tests he was a genuine game breaker on the wing. Use to make great yards crashing off first phase off the line out (remarkable for a little guy) as well. great ability to counter attack from kick return and equally able to help relieve pressure with the boot.

Probably be shot down in flames but I believe that Bernard Foley would ignite the exciting outside back better then anyone. Michael Chieka is no fool and he has a huge wrap on him, so much so it was a deciding factor in the rebels contract back flip. Thinking he was told he would be first choice 5/8 even with inclusion of beale to franchise.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Why are you ruling Ashley-Cooper out?

1. Benn Robinson
2. Stephen Moore
3. Ben Alexander
4. Kane Douglas
5. James Horwill
6. Ben Mowen
7. Michael Hooper
8. Wycliff Palu
9. Will Genia
10. James O'Connor
11. Joe Tomane
12. Christian Lealiifano
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper
14. Israel Folau
15. Kurtley Beale

16. Saia Fainga'a
17. James Slipper
18. Sekope Kepu
19. Hugh McMeniman/Peter Kimlin
20. Liam Gill
21. Nick Phipps
22. Ben Tapuai
23. Nick Cummins
Robbie will lean towards cummings because of feats on end of season tour over tomane. beside that that will be starting team just unsure that george smith wil be left out after being called in?

gold heart

Ted Fahey (11)
While I like MMM I think that Kimlin offers a similar level of physicality, but also has a levelheadedness and, surprisingly, quite nice ball skills (offloads) to go with it. He was also a standout in the Brumbies win against the Lions last week.

I agree with that and i also like kimlin and think he should come off the bench ...but ahhmm only problem is that he drops the ball often albeit he has been better recently holding onto his nuts

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Pretty simple really - keep the same forward pack, and if Diggers and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) are definitely out, bring in Cummins, and Horne. I must admit I prefer Tomane over Cummins, but if you have Cummins in the back 3 with Beale and Folau, he would provide balance and straighten the attack up, hopefully down North's channel!!

Same bench, aside from Kimlin for Simmons, Smith over Gill if he proves his good to go in training, Phipps, Tapuai and Mogg to fill out the bench.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Given the report last week that Leali'ifano didn't practice kicking at Camp Wallaby before the first Test because of a "hamstring twinge", what are his chances of lasting 80 mins whilst taking the kicks on Saturday night?!

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Robbie will lean towards cummings because of feats on end of season tour over tomane. beside that that will be starting team just unsure that george smith wil be left out after being called in?

he wont be left out. this weekend is all or nothing for the wallabies

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
SOB taken off after 55 minutes tonight, probably puts him in pole position for the bench spot for the 2nd test ahead of Lydiate

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Also looks like Manu T is going to play 80 minutes, means at least one of Bowe or Roberts are fit, I would be surprised if Roberts will be back so quickly from a hamstring tear so I think Bowe will go to 14 and Cuthbert will go to the bench

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
This should be the team:

Robinson
Moore
Alexander
Horwill
Douglas
Mowen
Smith
Palu

Genia
Lealiifano
Tomane
O'Connor
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Folau
Beale (should be forced to watch Scott Allen's analysis on repeat for the entire week)

Slipper
Fainga'a
Sio
Kimlin
Madness
Hooper (running game late in the match)
Phipps
Mogg

Madness and the Ginger Ninja to come on at 50mins for Douglas and Palu, under orders to go full retard.

We couldn't possibly have that same carnage in the backs two games in a row, and if we do we're fucked anyway, regardless of the makeup of the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.