• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australia vs British and Irish Lions 2nd Test (Melbourne)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
If we get the win this weekend and then horwill is banned from the series decider, George Smith is a certainty

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
Well back on topic the lions second row with Parling will be weaker Vunapola not renowned as a scrumager Parling offers no omphh in the second row huge mistake also to have no cover for the second row. Gray or Evans should have been there, nice to see SOB on the bench tho

Richo

John Thornett (49)
fuckn ay! is there precedent for this decision by the IRB? have they appealed any major decisions in the past and if so what were the results?

Georgina Robinson's article said that this is a first. They once (!) appealed the length of ban imposed but never a not guilty verdict.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Correct me if im wrong but the IrB did the same with Adam thompson last year no? He was found not guilty the irb stepped in and he got a few weeks?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Interestingly the chosen Judicial Officer despite being listed as a neutral Canadian, does spend a fair amount of time working and living in London.

http://www.mewadr.com/index.html '

Graeme Mew is a lawyer and a dispute resolution professional offering advocacy, mediation, arbitration and third party neutral services to parties involved in or seeking to avoid civil disputes. He brings to the dispute resolution process 28 years as a litigation lawyer practising in England and Canada

Graeme is a member of the Chambers of Jeremy Stuart-Smith QC (Quade Cooper) at Four New Square in London, England. He is also a partner in the Toronto office of Clyde & Co Canada LLP. He has undertaken work as a neutral in the UK, Canada, the United States, Ireland, Switzerland, Australia, Namibia and France. He divides his personal and professional time between London and Toronto.

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
The difference is they appealed Thomson's sentence (he was found guilty). They are appealing Horwill's verdict which was not guilty. Changing a verdict is massive.

Colin Windon

Herbert Moran (7)
Correct me if im wrong but the IrB did the same with Adam thompson last year no? He was found not guilty the irb stepped in and he got a few weeks?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Thompson was found guilty but the appeal was against the 1 week ban being too lenient. On appeal it was increased to 3 weeks.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Pretty hard to see how he could possibly give a not guilty verdict to Horwill this time around. Essentially, the IRB have just stated that the first guy got it wrong.

On the non selection of George Smith, whilst I would have loved to see him playing this week (as would we all), perhaps he still is not quite 100% but Deans figures that he still has a lot to give the guys by being in the extended squad anyway.

Better he is with Hooper and Gill in the lead up to the game than sitting away somewhere watching them on tele.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I don't follow betting much but an ad for one of the agencies offered your money back if Folau or BOD score in the test. Think I got that right.

So they think Folau will have a quiet game. Interesting.

One of the companies offered the same deal last week. I cheered when Izzy scored, half because it just cost one of the gambling companies a truck load of money.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
I don't follow betting much but an ad for one of the agencies offered your money back if Folau or BOD score in the test. Think I got that right.

So they think Folau will have a quiet game. Interesting.

They had the same add last week, they hook you in and than take it all. Makes backing either one to score a bit pointless too.

Always be care full of these specials, the terms and conditions might not even refund all your bet amount.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Pretty hard to see how he could possibly give a not guilty verdict to Horwill this time around. Essentially, the IRB have just stated that the first guy got it wrong.

Agreed. There's no way this can deliver justice. By appealing the verdict they have already flagged him as guilty.

In a criminal court, if a person is found not guilty, they can't be tried again for the same crime because it leaves the judicial process open for abuse from the prosecuting powers. The power balance is so heavily already swayed by the charged having to submit for judgement that double jeopardy is a key check and balance to give the proceedings any legitimacy.

Disgusting.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)

The link to the video i uploaded on Owen Farrell's head stomp.
What do you guys think about it?
it looks bad to me, you can see his foot stop on his head and slip off. I am not sure if the injury is from head butting POC though. Leave a comment and let me know what you guys think.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
The IRB issued an almost identical statement at the time of the Thomson appeal. Their big problem is trying to get consistency on the stamping issue, they want it gone from the game (along with the tip tackle) and therefore want players banned for at least a couple of weeks.

Still don't think they should have appealed it. They should either trust those who are appointed to rule on citing or they should review the system.

Apart from the same old journalists, former players/coaches and some rabid fans (most likely blow ins from other sports just for the duration of the Lions tour) the incident had been put to bed with most people on both sides saying he was lucky to not get banned but it's over now let's move on.

For me the IRB's move has soured the tour a little bit. So far it's been played in a fantastic spirit, tough and competitive but also with respect on both sides. The majority of fans, whether wearing Green and Gold or Red, have reflected this spirit.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Just one other thing I noticed while researching the Thomson appeal. The ability for the IRB to appeal these decisions was only introduced in June last year. So this may only be the 2nd such appeal, but there will probably be quite a few more in the coming years.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
That IRB call just makes an even bigger mockery of the citing process and judiciary. Mark my words, this is mob rule and that has no place in any kind of justice system, sporting or otherwise.

I thought Kev should go for what he did, but I was under the impression (mistakenly as it turns out), that the tribunal's decision was final.
No it's not. I was surprised last year when they (after Gosper twitter) appealed Adam Thomson's one for All Blacks, mind you it was pretty well agreed with most people in here because he was an All Black, but I said then watch out there is a can of worms being opened here!!!!

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
I'd believe it was an accident if Horwill didn't have form doing the same thing this year.

Still, the IRB appealing its own decision is farcical and smacks of political influence.
Garry ask Dan Palmer & Pek Cowan if Horwill has form for doing it this year, don't forget he got an off field yellow for one. So that not a defence. And why political interference Gosper (boss or IRU) is Australian!!

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
The rugby judicial system does not work, period. With the likes of Skype, video conference etc there is precisely no reason why the IRB cannot have a commitee that deals with all citings worldwide. Please though can someone tell me who appointed Hampton to inquire into the citing of Horwill? It is a genuine question to which I cannot find an answer.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Stepping away from being a Horwill fan and wanting him on the park playing.

First time I saw it I thought ouch not good, he's got time.
Replay - reaffirmed my thoughts,
Replay - he's got good time,
When I heard the decision I was shocked, but was relieved.

Agree with - if a person is found not guilty, they can't be tried again for the same crime because it leaves the judicial process open for abuse from the prosecuting powers.

Re-watching it again I can't see the off balance defence, wrong leg, going the wrong direction, and generally when some one goes out of balance they move their upper body to adjust.

Status
Not open for further replies.