• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australia vs British and Irish Lions 2nd Test (Melbourne)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig Riddington

Sydney Middleton (9)
I think most people would like to see SOB start but apart from that, I'm pretty happy with the team. Lydiate will add some grunt to the breakdown and tighten things up defensively. Croft on the bench covering the locks is a gamble. Dropping an out of form Phillips proves at least that Gatland will look beyond his favourites and Youngs will do alright there. He will at least get the ball away quickly. Murray should be kicking himself for having such an ordinary game against the Rebels - the HB position was obviously for the taking. Likewise for Grant, who hasn't yet impressed on tour. I am crossing my fingers here, but I think Vunipola will go ok. At least he's up against Alexander. I would have added Hibberd to the starting line-up for his scrummaging but T Youngs had a good game in the first test. I'm hoping Davies will work better with BOD this week and adding Bowe to the backline is a definite improvement.

My cups is half full - Lions by ten :)

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
From the IRB website.....

"The International Rugby Board has confirmed to the Australian Rugby Union that it will appeal the James Horwill disciplinary decision following an extensive review of the case.

Australia captain Horwill was cited for a stamping contrary to Law 10.4(b) during the first half of the first Test between Australia and the British & Irish Lions in Brisbane on June 22.

The Judicial Officer determined that, on the balance of probabilities, that there was no act of foul play. Read the full written decision here.

As the 2013 British & Irish Lions Tour falls within the scope of the IRB merit-based appointment scheme approved by the IRB Council, under Regulation 17.22.2 the IRB has (since the May 2012 IRB Council decision) the right to appeal any decision arising from matches under the scheme.

Furthermore, given its duty to preserve player welfare at all levels of the Game, the IRB is compelled to further examine potential acts of foul play which either potentially or in reality impact on the preservation of player welfare.

It is important for the IRB to ensure amongst all stakeholders in the Game that there is full confidence that priority is given to player welfare and the values of the Game.

The IRB received the full written decision on Monday, June 24 and following a detailed review of the evidence and the written decision (as it does for all Tests under its jurisdiction) has notified the ARU within the 72 permissible hours that it will appeal the case.

The appeal will be heard by Graeme Mew (Canada) following the second Test between Australia and the British & Irish Lions. Horwill is free to play pending the outcome of the appeal.

Further details regarding the appeal hearing logistics will be announced shortly"

So he's OK for this week but may be tits for the last match then.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Gatland has upped the mobility of his pack, and his lineout defence in Parling. Croft has been sacrificed to bring in the more abrasive Lydiate - and two back rowers on the bench so if AWJ gores down, the scrum looks very shaky with no big lump starting or on the bench. It was bad enough with no Corbisiero...

But he came out and made light of our attacking prowess... And brought Bowe straight back in for Cuthbert... They've got Murray partnering Sexton, and BOD has had a week with Davies. That becomes a very potent back line all of a sudden.

He's trying to out-Wallaby the Wallabies.

Quick heels at the scrum. Try to dominate the lineout. Don't be afraid to run or kick into touch because you can compete. Keep throwing it wide, knowing you have the speed in the forwards to cover rucks and big outside backs to cross the gain line.

The Wallabies only had five throws last week - they'll get a lot more on Saturday and every one of them will be pestered by Parling.

We will have to play it narrow to conserve our energy and beat then senseless at the scrum and ruck - try and use our size to hammer the ball up and bring in the defence. Basic rugby but this time we might not get as much change it if it given they're going to contest a lot harder on the ball, and maybe even legally.

-----------------------
I hate autocorrect ...

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
.......We will have to play it narrow to conserve our energy and beat then senseless at the scrum and ruck - try and use our size to hammer the ball up and bring in the defence. Basic rugby but this time we might not get as much change it if it given they're going to contest a lot harder on the ball, and maybe even legally.........

Oh, my! This is finally what we have come to? We have become and English rugby team. Haven't the tables turned now!

I think a little bit of sick just came up.......

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
Good one Lions. You just gave some extra motivation to the Wallabies and James Horwill. Us vs them shit now.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
What's the point in over ruling if he isn't going to get a ban? He has to get banned now. What a pile of crap. Can anyone dig up some footage of farrel jumping on Ben Lucas head from the reds game? Lets plant that everywhere

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
It was certainly interesting watching Owen Farrell play a "quade/reds"
brand of rugby against the Rebels. It was great to see them run the ball and one of his cross field kicks was absolutely brilliant. Dropped it onto the right foot and it flew almost a few degrees behind him to their winger. Great to see the NH playing some exciting footy and I hope they keep it up (yeh I know it was a provincial match against the rebels but still, good footy!).

Maybe Gatland will be shifting a little towards that? Obviously not extreme at all but maybe a bit more running and expansive footy? Will be interesting to see if they target AACs shoulder and Beale/ O'Connor at 15. Will also be quite controversial if Dingo goes the 'reverse quade' and brings Kurtley into 10 in attack.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Ridiculous decision regarding Horwill, how can the IRB appeal their own decision? Its a true banana republic decision

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
That IRB call just makes an even bigger mockery of the citing process and judiciary. Mark my words, this is mob rule and that has no place in any kind of justice system, sporting or otherwise.

I thought Kev should go for what he did, but I was under the impression (mistakenly as it turns out), that the tribunal's decision was final.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I don't follow betting much but an ad for one of the agencies offered your money back if Folau or BOD score in the test. Think I got that right.

So they think Folau will have a quiet game. Interesting.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
I don't follow betting much but an ad for one of the agencies offered your money back if Folau or BOD score in the test. Think I got that right.

So they think Folau will have a quiet game. Interesting.

I don't bet, but I saw that ad too.

made me wonder if there is a catch...you bet aus to win (and they do) but because IF scored (or reverse the scenario and BOD scores) then all you get is your money back but no winnings for the aus win?

Anyway, back to horwill, the first I saw about the stomping citing was here, and watched the replays on this computer monitor. Gotta tell you I thought it looked really bad for horwill.

Strange thing tho, tonight on the rugby club they replayed it after announcing the IRB appeal. This time I saw it on the big screen as opposed to the computer monitor and wouldn't you know it, it looked way less damning when seen 'properly'.

I mean it's not good at all he made contact so don't get me wrong, but I now can honestly say I doubt horwill was sighted at all which for mine makes it accidental.

Just found it interesting that I could have a completely different reaction simply cause I saw it better.

Garryowen

Larry Dwyer (12)
I don't bet, but I saw that ad too.

made me wonder if there is a catch.you bet aus to win (and they do) but because IF scored (or reverse the scenario and BOD scores) then all you get is your money back but no winnings for the aus win?

Anyway, back to horwill, the first I saw about the stomping citing was here, and watched the replays on this computer monitor. Gotta tell you I thought it looked really bad for horwill.

Strange thing tho, tonight on the rugby club they replayed it after announcing the IRB appeal. This time I saw it on the big screen as opposed to the computer monitor and wouldn't you know it, it looked way less damning when seen 'properly'.

I mean it's not good at all he made contact so don't get me wrong, but I now can honestly say I doubt horwill was sighted at all which for mine makes it accidental.

Just found it interesting that I could have a completely different reaction simply cause I saw it better.

I'd believe it was an accident if Horwill didn't have form doing the same thing this year.

Still, the IRB appealing its own decision is farcical and smacks of political influence.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Still, the IRB appealing its own decision is farcical and smacks of political influence.

fuckn ay! is there precedent for this decision by the IRB? have they appealed any major decisions in the past and if so what were the results?

Status
Not open for further replies.