• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australia vs British and Irish Lions 2nd Test (Melbourne)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Was driving through the City today for Work, Lions fans everywhere. they really do stand out from the crowd

I feel like Russell Crowe in A Beautiful Mind. Every splash of red I see in the streets is automatically registered as a Lions fan. I've taken to wearing my Wallabies scarf out and about to restore a modicum of balance, but the weight is definitely in their favour.

The only selections that gave me pause were JOC (James O'Connor) at 10, and the two loosies on the Lions bench. Apart from the I'd say a healthy Wallabies team shouldn't have too many issues bringing this one home.

Gold by 7 +.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
The Selection of Mogg (an out and out Fullback) suggests to me that Robbie is hedging his bets. We are likely to see Beale move to 10 at some point.

I know I've said it a few times but I still believe Beale will come into first receiver for a lot of the game.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Forwards win matches, Wallabies pack looks stronger particularly in the back row and they should have an advantage in the set piece. Gill coming off the bench could play a key role in the last 20 minutes. Australia to win by 8, Lions to finally pick their strongest side in the last game and take a series win.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Does anyone know if they are bringing the stands in (rectangle mode) at Etihad Stadium on the weekend?

All of the tests I've attended have been in the oval format, which is pretty poor for rugby.

The last Socceroos match was with the modified arrangement, but I think it decreases the ground capacity so expect a standard seating setup.

Reactions: daz

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
Wallabies to win on Saturday and then need to play a mid-week 'friendly' and lose in order to take out decider- coming off a loss.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
It's the standard set up. Have not heard any confirmation about the roof, i'd say itwill be closed though.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
While the Wallabies will be better for the game last week I think the same can be said for the Lions. They had immense pressure on their shoulders and I think it will be slightly relieved this week.
Bowe is a big advantage. He was a threat in the game against the Reds and offers more than Cuthbert. Having him and North on the wings will make for dangerous kick returns.
I like Youngs at 9. He will be more of a treat with darts around the ruck and will take the holes when he sees them. O'Connell is a huge loss and not having Gray on the bench could come back to haunt the Lions.
Disappointed that Palu is still the 8. Didn't do much on the night. Hearing McGahan talk last week though they have a lot of time for the big guy saying he is the most effective hitter in defence out of the squad.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Wallabies have the players to win, but perhaps not the game plan to carry them to that win. With the weakened Lions' scrum, expect the Wallabies to finish on top up front, but Lions will attack better through the backline, and have an advantage when kicking for goal. Defences will be tight on both sides, especially if the Lions are allowed to camp off side. Wallabies will again rely on individuals in the backline to make an impression. Will be close imo, but Wallabies by 3 (to at least have a net gain on points scored over the two tests).

gold heart

Ted Fahey (11)
Good team - you cant expect deans to make changes when they came so close last week with crap kicking. I hope Lilo goes ok after his nap time last week, actually I hope all 23 go ok, well 22 at least as I really hope Simmons is not needed.

Go the WALLABIES!!!! Will win by ten.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
George Smith being left out is a big mistake imo.

I think the Canary Yellows are stronger in the forwards, = in the backs overall, but weaker in goalkicking.

Too close to call.

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
Australia will only win if they rectify the goal kicking - it is that simple.

Also if Rob Simmons does not take the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.