• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australia vs British and Irish Lions 2nd Test (Melbourne)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Why does he have to be added to the squad if that's what he's there for? why cant they add another tyro and bring Smith in as a consultant?
Perhaps its an accounting thing o_O

Maybe it's a medical thing to ensure his knee is covered? ;) Even if it was another Kurtley Situation where he's just training with the squad without being in the squad yet everyone knows he's in the squad. It'd be the same thing.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Wallabies:

Benn Robinson,
Stephen Moore,
Ben Alexander,
James Horwill (c),
Kane Douglas,
Ben Mowen,
Michael Hooper,
Wycliff Palu,
Will Genia,
James O'Connor,
Joe Tomane,
Christian Lealiifano,
Adam Ashley-Cooper,
Israel Folau,
Kurtley Beale.

Res:
Saia Fainga'a,
James Slipper,
Sekope Kepu,
Rob Simmons,
Liam Gill,
Nick Phipps,
Rob Horne,
Jesse Mogg.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...second-test-20130627-2oyct.html#ixzz2XN44g8v3

Pack would be stronger with either MMM or Kimlin on the bench for Simmons and Sio in place of Kepu.

Don't know about George. If he's there to start in the 3rd test, does that imply that Deans thinks the 2nd test is lost?

Wouldn't have JOC (James O'Connor) at 10 in any circumstances. Given the limitations of the current squad, Beale at 10 would be better, Folau to 15 and HB on the wing. Bench to stay as is.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Mogg is an interesting bench selection. Good to see him there but signals maybe Beale moving to 10 at some point.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Mogg is an interesting bench selection. Good to see him there but signals maybe Beale moving to 10 at some point.

Yep, can see it now. A couple of injuries and Beale to 10, Christian to 15, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to 12, Folau to 13 until replaced by Hooper, and Horne to 14. Just the sort of fuckup you'd expect from this coach.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
Lads I am sick of state of wank being in the public eye. AS someone who is new to the workforce I was shocked when several people in the office came strolling on in with their Maroons scarves yesterday.

On Friday, every Wallabies fan needs to come in wearing their Wallaby scarves and talk about the game to everyone in the office at whatever point possible without affecting productivity.

Wear you're colours and let the general populace know there is a massive game on Saturday.

These people that come in with their scarves on aren't people who are Leaguies or obsessed with origin - they are just people who want to support their team because it's from their state and it is what everyone is doing. They don't know intracies of the various games or anything like that. They are the bandwagoners. Nothing wrong with it - supporting the team you are associated with for a big game.

Time to beat League at their own game and get the non affiliated sporting public more involved.

BRING ON SATURDAY AND LETS GOOOOOOOOOO WALLLABIES

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Pack would be stronger with either MMM or Kimlin on the bench for Simmons and Sio in place of Kepu.

Don't know about George. If he's there to start in the 3rd test, does that imply that Deans thinks the 2nd test is lost?

Wouldn't have JOC (James O'Connor) at 10 in any circumstances. Given the limitations of the current squad, Beale at 10 would be better, Folau to 15 and HB on the wing. Bench to stay as is.

Kepu scrummaged very well at THP last week, dropping him, moving Slipper to THP reserve to accommodate Sio? Nah

Simmons appears to be Douglas's clear replacement

Reactions: BDA

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I don't think there's much surprising about the side selected.

I still don't like Simmons on the bench -- start him or don't have him. Kimlin or MMM gives a lot more flexibility, especially since Palu probably shouldn't play 80 if his work rate drops off. Otherwise, the forwards did very well last week and deserve the faith placed in them.

Smith, I think I read, isn't quite good to go with his knee. So that's probably the rationale there.

The backs selections suggest that nothing will change in the game plan. Mogg coming on to the bench perfect sense, since he will cover 11, 14, 15. That gives more options than putting Cummins on there. He can also kick for goal. I certainly hope we see a lot more involvement from JOC (James O'Connor) this week -- or a lot more Beale in at first receiver.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
The Selection of Mogg (an out and out Fullback) suggests to me that Robbie is hedging his bets. We are likely to see Beale move to 10 at some point.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Team as I expected, should go ok.
On the Beale,JOC (James O'Connor) thing, while I agree it is good to set high standards etc, let's not go over the top. I was pleased to see they had gone to support their team play Lions,what I expect from players, and the game finished what about 10pm, by the time the players had showered, etc it would of been 11 easily, I don't actually think it that over the top tp then spend 3-4 hours with your team, then grab a burger or something on way home. I know it seems awful late to me, but I an old bugger that thinks 9.30 pushing the envelope, but to young fellas that don't need to get out of bed until 10.30-11am is it that much of a crime?? They don't look particularly pissed, noone has seen them play up or drink, so lets all just be a bit sensible!!

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
why did they bring him in?
dont we have some younger up and comer who might have soaked up the vibe in camp for a future call up?

I think its more for the experience he offers regardless of whether hes in the 23 or not. It's the same reason Paul O'Connell is staying on tour. They're figureheads in the team and provide leadership and inspiration whether they're playing or not.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Get off it mate. What about this picture suggests they are not sober?? You do realise its about 3am when this photo is taken.

This whole story is a storm in a tea cup and its no surprise that the story originally came from a UK journo. Common sense says that if these guys were pissed, we'd know about it.

It's an attempt to create disharmony among the team, nothing more. I'm not surprised that its posted on here by an Irishman/supporter.

I hate this idea that footy players should lock themselves away in a room during the footy series, (Lions series, State of Origin, etc.) because they are somehow beholden to fans' demands. rubbish. It was their day off and they can spend it however they want. The ARU told them they could go out to support their Rebels teammates.

I'd wager that there is more than a few people on this board, such as myself, that have more important jobs than kicking a football around (surgeons, lawyers, etc) that go out and have all nighters on the piss on the weekend. By some people's ridulous standards, that is clearly worthy of being sacked.

There is a lot of people riding very high horses

Really don't think as a rebels fan who has only seen beale only play 4 games for us this season, that we don't have a right to complain. The guy has admitted to having a problem and been stood down, he should be distancing himself from pubs for a while.

As for JOC (James O'Connor) who was nursing a hamstring injury on saturday, would it not be best to be resting so he can play at 100% this weekend.

I have no problem when a player has a night out, but when it's at a good time. Sunday night would have been fine, Tuesday not really.

There was no need to have even bought up that i was a irishman/supporter. The fact is i am a Rebels fan who think these two have no respect for club nor country and need to wake up and realise how lucky they are.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I don't think there's much surprising about the side selected.

I still don't like Simmons on the bench -- start him or don't have him. Kimlin or MMM gives a lot more flexibility, especially since Palu probably shouldn't play 80 if his work rate drops off. Otherwise, the forwards did very well last week and deserve the faith placed in them.

Smith, I think I read, isn't quite good to go with his knee. So that's probably the rationale there.

The backs selections suggest that nothing will change in the game plan. Mogg coming on to the bench perfect sense, since he will cover 11, 14, 15. That gives more options than putting Cummins on there. He can also kick for goal. I certainly hope we see a lot more involvement from JOC (James O'Connor) this week -- or a lot more Beale in at first receiver.

Agree Richo. This is a moment of destiny unfolding for Deans. Assuming our forwards play as well or better than Test 1 - and why would they not improve? - if our backline malfunctions as it largely did in Test 1 and with Genia having to be a de facto 10 and 9 combo all in one, we will likely not win. The source of attacking power becomes too fixed and limited, and the value of individual, though isolated, backs skill is lost.

I'd say it's a good bet that we'll kick better (it could not be worse) and lose fewer players and that JO'C will improve (somewhat) and that Beale will add much value at 15 (provided he does not lead with his high-risk grubbers and chips which he almost always recklessly over-estimates as attacking ploys). But it's the attacking coherence of whole backline over 80 and well-developed attacking tactics and plays that confuse the Lions and destabilise their defense that will make all the difference. And that's where we have seen far too little coaching skill and Wallaby progress since 2011. We have the dancers, but rarely the ballet.

The Lions will improve their breakdown work and incur fewer penalties. I'd predict that rich vein of kickable penalty gifts to the Wallabies will be less in Test 2.

Generally, our forwards did the Wallabies proud in Test 1. If we can markedly improve our backline attack and kick at say 80+%, we'll win. If not, not, the Lions will exploit our over-reliance on X-factor breakouts with no surrounding back line creativity or coherence, and they'll score more points by doing so.

Craig Riddington

Sydney Middleton (9)
Phillips dropped from the 23 and Bowe returns to the starting line-up. Croft dropped to the bench to cover the locks and SOB finally gets a place, though Lydidiot starts. Apart from the forced changes (Corbs and O'Connell), a good response to the first test performance.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Lions team: Leigh Halfpenny, Tommy Bowe, Brian O'Driscoll, Jonathan Davies, George North, Jonathan Sexton, Ben Youngs; Mako Vunipola, Tom Youngs, Adam Jones, Alun-Wyn Jones, Geoff Parling, Dan Lydiate, Sam Warburton (captain), Jamie Heaslip
Replacements: Richard Hibbard, Ryan Grant, Dan Cole, Tom Croft, Sean O'Brien, Conor Murray, Owen Farrell, Alex Cuthbert

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
British & Irish Lions (v Qantas Wallabies, 2nd Test)
15. Leigh Halfpenny (Cardiff Blues / Wales)

14. Tommy Bowe (Ulster / Ireland)
13. Brian O'Driscoll (Leinster / Ireland)
12. Jonathan Davies (Scarlets / Wales)
11. George North (Scarlets / Wales)

10. Jonathan Sexton (Leinster / Ireland)
9. Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers / England)

1. Makovina Vunipola (Saracens / England)
2. Tom Youngs (Leicester Tigers / England)
3. Adam Jones (Ospreys / Wales)
4. Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys / Wales)
5. Geoff Parling (Leicester Tigers / England)
6. Dan Lydiate (Dragons / Wales)
7. Sam Warburton (Cardiff Blues / Wales, captain)
8. Jamie Heaslip (Leinster / Ireland)

Replacements
16. Richard Hibbard (Ospreys / Wales)
17. Ryan Grant (Glasgow Warriors / Scotland)
18. Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers / England)
19. Tom Croft (Leicester Tigers / England)
20. Sean O'Brien (Leinster / Ireland)
21. Conor Murray (Munster / Ireland)
22. Owen Farrell (Saracens / England)
23. Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues / Wales)

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Weak looking pack for the Lions, the scrum is vulnerable, Vunipola has shown many many times this season he isn't ready for this level. Holding your own against the Force and Tahs 2nds isn't enough.

Quite simply the Lions are f***** if they lose a lock, a weak scrummaging loose head and Croft in pushing behind spells danger. Adam Jones needs to play 80 minutes but given the state of his fitness we'll be lucky to get 60 out of him.

We picked two flankers who are unfit, neither have offered anything near a threat with ball in hand this tour and frankly both are far from their top form. Heaslip is going to need to have another huge game.

Ben Youngs is extremely flaky at 9, I've lost count of the amount of big games he implodes in. Unless his pack is going forward he is an utter liability that said he has form against the Aussies and will give Sexton good service.

Yet again the Gatland has picked a side with few ball carriers who can get over the gain line off crap ball. We're going to see a lot of east to west carries from the Lions again this week, SOB should be starting. Whats the definition of insanity again Wazza?

If the Lions win this game it will simply be because they are the least worse of these two sides, all I can say is thank god we aren't playing the All Blacks!

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
It's an attempt to create disharmony among the team, nothing more. I'm not surprised that its posted on here by an Irishman/supporter.

Totally unnecessary comment. A complete and utter generalisation. Don't complain next time someone makes a sweeping generalisation about Queenslanders/Reds Fans.

Craig Riddington

Sydney Middleton (9)
Weak looking pack for the Lions, the scrum is vulnerable, Vunipola has shown many many times this season he isn't ready for this level. Holding your own against the Force and Tahs 2nds isn't enough.

Quite simply the Lions are f***** if they lose a lock, a weak scrummaging loose head and Croft in pushing behind spells danger. Adam Jones needs to play 80 minutes but given the state of his fitness we'll be lucky to get 60 out of him.

We picked two flankers who are unfit, neither have offered anything near a threat with ball in hand this tour and frankly both are far from their top form. Heaslip is going to need to have another huge game.

Ben Youngs is extremely flaky at 9, I've lost count of the amount of big games he implodes in. Unless his pack is going forward he is an utter liability that said he has form against the Aussies and will give Sexton good service.

Yet again the Gatland has picked a side with few ball carriers who can get over the gain line off crap ball. We're going to see a lot of east to west carries from the Lions again this week, SOB should be starting. Whats the definition of insanity again Wazza?

If the Lions win this game it will simply be because they are the least worse of these two sides, all I can say is thank god we aren't playing the All Blacks!
So would you say you aren't optimistic then?

Status
Not open for further replies.