• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australia vs British and Irish Lions 2nd Test (Melbourne)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gold heart

Ted Fahey (11)
The 1st test was the first time in years when the forwards have fronted up from the get go and did not look rusty at all. Not a great deal of dropped ball and some good runs. Remember Scotland and Samoa? I think we are going to do some special things this Saturday night with a hit out under our belt and this excites me greatly. We have a pack hitting the scales at a bit over 900kgs and the lions are about 15 - 20 kilos lighter. The first scrum is what i live for and i hope that the hit is better this time and joubert gets with us for the remainder of the game

As far as the backs - I am just praying that JOC (James O'Connor) and Lilo can gel and get Dean's original game plan going with JOC (James O'Connor) running into the line and creating space for Lilo and ACC. I am not saying this will happen but its what I hope will happen. Beale rarely lets us down at full back as far as his counter attacking but he does have defensive issues with his positional play when the ball is being thown about by the opposition. He is reasonable under the high ball but not fantastic.

Go gold!

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
For all the stat buffs/Lions tinfoil hat brigade, the home team has won 68% of matches referred by Joubert (World Cup games excluded unless the host is playing). Of those 32% all but 1 were wins by BNZ and the other was Wales over USA. Is Deans hoping for a Joubert blinder tomorrow?

Just a disclaimer I don't buy the crap peddled by the Lions this week about the referees performance/being biased etc.

Cassius88

Sydney Middleton (9)
Haha JSRF10. While I find that number to be quite high, there's also the fact that teams play better at home, which should account for most of that 18% difference.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Haha JSRF10. While I find that number to be quite high, there's also the fact that teams play better at home, which should account for most of that 18% difference.

I agree, just think its worth noting for the inevitable moan from Warren Gatland and Graham Rowntree win, lose or draw!

Cassius88

Sydney Middleton (9)
He's big, fast and strong. Made a good early break in the Force game and was a threat against the Reds too. From memory he's been very good against the Wallabies in the past.

Here's some highlights.

I'm not saying he's not a good player, but the majority of those highlights were other people making breaks and him scoring typical winger tries. There was still some nice solo stuff in there and I appreciate that a good winger gets himself in position to score winger tries; just an observation.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
Some tips for our Mexican Home Crowd..
Rugby Player Positions - What they really mean!
The Pack

Eight handsome burly guys whom you'll gladly give your beer and food to, and you'd want to marry your daughter. They are intelligent, elegant, sensitive, and sweet. Truly the ideal men.

The Backs

Seven guys who will steal your beer while you're not looking, take advantage of your women folk, barnyard animals, and all tubular household objects. Often dine on quiche, brie cheese and wine. Been known to understand the rule of the ESPN Extreme games' rules. Regularly take blow dryers on road trips, wear bikini underpants, and carry STDs (AVOID AT ALL COSTS).

Prop

Short but stout, these strapping men support the hooker, but no money ever changes hands and the act is never specificaly named.

Hooker

Often identified by a balding spot atop the head, these vertically challenged but talented men stand between the two props, and secures the ball for his team during scrummages.

Second Row

These tall powerful men are the driving engines not only the scrum, but of the entire game. They can be found working their magic from deep in the scrum, behind the front row, or lofting high above the line outs pulling balls from the air.

The Back Row

Usually the most handsome and intelligent, these three men of strength are often considered the renisance men of the rugby field. They not only control the ball, but the entire pitch. Remember, the back row defines the whole team's style of play.

Scrumhalf

The point guard of the rugby team the scrumhalf distributes the ball, runs hits, and kicks. Scrumhalf is only half as handsome and burly as the pack members

Flyhalf

The first of those back guys, and the first of the offensive chain. Often confused with an insect, may be referred to as the man with "the foot."

Centers

Another pair of those back guys. Either power runner, or annoying scampering guy usually found in the opposite order, but whose main purpose is to get the ball to ...

Wings

Ideally the fastest men on the team. Their job is to "score with the ball", but they often confuse it with "get tackled with the ball." Also an excellent snack when smothered in hot sauce and deep fried.

Fullback

The last line of defense. A back even the pack can appreciate, often viewed as a back row in the larval stage.
and finally....don't yell out "BALLLLLL......"

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I'm not saying he's not a good player, but the majority of those highlights were other people making breaks and him scoring typical winger tries. There was still some nice solo stuff in there and I appreciate that a good winger gets himself in position to score winger tries; just an observation.

One of the big strengths of Bowe's game is the support lines he runs. He picks excellent lines (something Cuthbert has yet to learn) that often turn a half break into a try. He's also a better defender and as a former Gaelic Footballer is very good under the high ball.

The big downside is that he's only back from breaking a bone in his hand earlier in the tour and he was injured for most of the season. On the plus side Tommy is one of those players who can get back up to test speed extremely quickly. He was only back playing for a couple of games before Gatland picked his squad but did enough to be an automatic choice.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
Forgot to add...don't turn up for pregame entertainment..time your run from the pub to hit your seat 2 minutes before the national anthem....no sense in wasting good debating time around the bar. Go to the toilets 8 minutes either side of half time...you'll never get in at half time...we don't have quarters...
This has another advantage if the wallabies are struggling as they will be sure to score the try of the year the moment you are in the toilet.
You will know this because you will here a building roar followed by squeals of delight from the crowd......there will then be an invasion of the toilets with people telling you what you missed.
Its called taking one for the team so don't be selfish...:)

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member

It's not the best collection but I couldn't find the highlights of the Reds game that showed his break. If he gets the ball with a bit of space he dangerous.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
The architects behind Etihad know their crowd and have got 'high capacity' gents toilets to deal with the inevitable logjams.

Although Scaraby, I'll offer a word of caution about timing your run properly. Etihad is a bit of a stroll from the nearest decent watering hole and has seriously struggled to get people through the gates at sellout matches in the past. Can't think of much worse than being herded like sheep while pinching off a full bladder...

Melbourne's full of tourists, all the pubs are advertising the match, balloons everywhere. There's an electric atmosphere that even the hardest of AFL hearts can't miss. Bring on tomorrow, bring on the LIIIIIIIOOOOOOOONS, and bring on a famous Wallaby win!

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
This has another advantage if the wallabies are struggling as they will be sure to score the try of the year the moment you are in the toilet.
You will know this because you will here a building roar followed by squeals of delight from the crowd..
Its called taking one for the team so don't be selfish.:)

At waratahs games you quickly learn the ability to tell the play by the crowd reaction. A roar followed by a loud collective sigh is the most common noise, signalling a great passage of play being spoiled by a knock on. A roar followed by stunned silence is the signal for a try. You don't see any of this until you watch a replay at home because you are in a line for toilets/beer/ice cream for the kids for basically the whole game

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Should we come second tonight, there will be changes for the 3rd test.
Assuming that Mr Deans is still the coach next Saturday, and that we can expect to see Quade "remaining in custody", which of our fringe/future wallabies might we see on the paddock? Though slightly off topic, it does relate to player performance during tonight's match, or to put it bluntly, which players are "lucky to be there"?

gold heart

Ted Fahey (11)
Should we come second tonight, there will be changes for the 3rd test.
Assuming that Mr Deans is still the coach next Saturday, and that we can expect to see Quade "remaining in custody", which of our fringe/future wallabies might we see on the paddock? Though slightly off topic, it does relate to player performance during tonight's match, or to put it bluntly, which players are "lucky to be there"?

Lets not talk about that yet Doug - perish the thought :eek:

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
We lost on a last second PG having been decimated in the backs.
This Lions team is nothing like teams of old.
All the criticism of JOC (James O'Connor) overlooks the fact that for 50(?) minutes he had a bloke outside him who'd never played in the position before at any serious level.
We had 2 blokes who were winged but stayed on because there was no option.
We should never have been in that game when you think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.