• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australia v NZ. Bledisloe Cup Series 2024. Sep 21, Sep 28

Australia vs NZ. Bledisloe Cup Series 2024 Sep 21, Sep 28

• not watching this

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • call it off

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • cripple fight

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Soup Rugby shits and giggles 52-44 scenario

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • NZ 2-0

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • 1-1

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • Aus 2-0

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • Would somebody PLEASE hold me?

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Mummy! I said hold me!

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • "Mr Cyclo! Stop holding mummy! Mr Cyclo is the bad man, mummy!"

Votes: 10 18.9%

• Total voters

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Schmidt on Toole:

Asked whether Toole was nearing a maiden Test callup, Schmidt said the Brumbies flyer continued to impress with his speed but that he still needed to work on a couple of other areas of his game to be ready for international XVs rugby.

"In Australia he is, certainly speed times there a couple of guys on the stats that I have seen that are a bit quicker, but he'd be right up there," Schmidt told reporters in Wellington.

"Today the quickest guy at training was Darby Lancaster, he's another very quick young man and we're just trying to build the depth with those two guys [and it's] really exciting.

"Darby has had an opportunity, Corey was at the Olympics and I thought they did a super job there, I thought they were so close to getting a medal.

"Corey's opportunity will come. I had a great meeting with Corey yesterday and talking through his game, he's got a few priorities that he's working on. It's a matter of 'when' as long as he keeps tracking as he does - [but] he's quick, yeah."

While he was one of the fastest players in Super Rugby Pacific, Toole is also one of the lightest, which may explain why Schmidt and his fellow Wallabies coach don't feel he is ready for the physicality of Test rugby.

"Some of those small guys like [Kurt-Lee] Arendse and Cheslin Kolbe are incredibly powerful and quick and experienced," Schmidt referenced in discussing Toole.

"Corey really hasn't had that much experience, he's come from the sevens program, he's had a season with the Brumbies and he's still learning the XVs game, even positionally.

"We're trying to fast-track him, as I say he is very fast, and so that track hopefully will get eaten up quite quickly."

Tazzmania

Syd Malcolm (24)
This time hopefully Rory not Richie

Matt Phillip would be good
What about Darcy Swain at 2m and 113kg, the forgotten man.

Hopefully, the Western Force tour to South Africa, with a few games next week and the week after give him an opportunity to stake a potential claim and reminder that he is still around. ( Note: The first two games will be televised on Stan)

Stillmissit I think our posts crossed in the stratasphere but thinking alike

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Hopefully, the Western Force tour to South Africa, with a few games next week and the week after give him an opportunity to stake a potential claim and reminder that he is still around. ( Note: The first two games will be televised on Stan)

I think guys like Swain, Blyth and Smith will be making up the Australia A squad but I can't see them pushing into the main squad until those games have been played. It's just the wild cards in non-Australian based player, who I think will only be added to the top squad if they're a genuine chance of making the wallabies 23, that the guys who are playing this weekend are competing with for spots.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Last game Toole played was against the Blues where he had a bit of a 'mare. Wonder if that counts against him. Made 2 out of 8 tackles against an All Blacks back 3.
Like Kellaway missing 6 last weekend, but we will see how it goes, I suspect they just think his got a bit more he needs to work on before he can start. At one point also it was said he was sick

KiwiM

Arch Winning (36)
Like Kellaway missing 6 last weekend, but we will see how it goes, I suspect they just think his got a bit more he needs to work on before he can start. At one point also it was said he was sick
See a few posts up for an explanation from Schmidt

Proud Pig

Tom Lawton (22)
The problem with selecting Swain is he has a two-cent head. Yes, he brins a level of physicality that or pack has been severely lacking but it is too often not well directed physicality. You bring him into the team and you know the opposition are going to try to bait him and he will bite. We have seen that time and time again. We are simply not good enough to be playing large patches of the game a player down. Therefore, avoiding the more volatile individuals is an important consideration.
I personally would start with LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) over Frost as we need some intelligent physicality in the starting line-up.
Our current forward selections are all very passive which is just not working.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I think for outside backs tackle stats can be misleading. How many of them are last ditch tackle attempts or failed covering tackles after a line break?

Reactions: dru

Tazzmania

Syd Malcolm (24)
The problem with selecting Swain is he has a two-cent head. Yes, he brins a level of physicality that or pack has been severely lacking but it is too often not well directed physicality. You bring him into the team and you know the opposition are going to try to bait him and he will bite. We have seen that time and time again. We are simply not good enough to be playing large patches of the game a player down. Therefore, avoiding the more volatile individuals is an important consideration.
I personally would start with LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) over Frost as we need some intelligent physicality in the starting line-up.

Darcy appears to have tempered his style as evidenced by being made captain at times for the Brumbies this year.

No yellow or red in 2024.
2 yellow in 2023.
Last red 02/07/2022 v England nearly 27 months ago

Tomikin

David Codey (61)

Should have been selected in front of Frost on this year's form,took the job from him at the Brumbies and was playing well.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
I think for outside backs tackle stats can be misleading. How many of them are last ditch tackle attempts or failed covering tackles after a line break?
Possibly but using tackle states to say he isn't make the team as he missed 6 verses the Blues in a Semi, when our current winger has missed 6 just last doesn't really fly. But above Schmidt spoken about Toole..

He'll get his chance eventually..

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I personally would start with LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) over Frost as we need some intelligent physicality in the starting line-up.
You know Darcy personally? Is he such a handicap to a team? Played 14 matches in Super Rugby 2024, and not a single card of any colour. You don't suppose he might ahve learnt to keep the anger/aggression controlled after his hit on Taupea?

On the current second row, it seems to me that LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is competing with Williams for the TH Lock spot. One starts and the other comes off the bench. It doesn't look like Joe sees them starting together. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)'s value off the bench last game was obvious. Seems Joe is happy to keep it that way for the present.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Some, maybe all or most, of AK (Andrew Kellaway)'s missed tackles were one on one in the backline. His missed tackle on at least one occasion led to the linebreak that ended in a try to the ABs. He has been pretty woeful in defence all year long, even when ke played 15 for the Rebels.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Swain seems like the type of player that might, hopefully, come into his own in his early 30s when he is a bit more measured, a bit wiser. Blokes that are hot heads tend to lose a bit of that when they leave their 20s. Guys like quade and JOC (James O'Connor) come to mind

Last edited:

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)

He's still a liability his soup form showed this.

Rhino_rugby

Bob McCowan (2)
It would also be in case an outside back has to withdraw at late notice - arguably more important.
Absolutely! Having a reliable cover is crucial, especially if an outside back has to pull out last minute. It’s all about being prepared for those unexpected situations. The last thing a team wants is to scramble for a replacement right before kickoff. So, having someone who can step in seamlessly is definitely a key part of squad management. It keeps the team's game plan intact and ensures they can adapt without missing a beat.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Agree, but I don't think Flook offers the required versatility for #23 given he can really only play OC to a test standard, when they're fit Daungunu and Petaia would fit that role better
I would have like to have seen Toole but Flook has a very good turn of pace. I would put him at faster than both Daugunu and Pietsch, maybe MK as well. He does give us more options and is defensively very sound.