• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australia v NZ. Bledisloe Cup Series 2024. Sep 21, Sep 28

Australia vs NZ. Bledisloe Cup Series 2024 Sep 21, Sep 28

• not watching this

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • call it off

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • cripple fight

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Soup Rugby shits and giggles 52-44 scenario

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • NZ 2-0

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • 1-1

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • Aus 2-0

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • Would somebody PLEASE hold me?

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Mummy! I said hold me!

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • "Mr Cyclo! Stop holding mummy! Mr Cyclo is the bad man, mummy!"

Votes: 10 18.9%

• Total voters

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Can someone with a better eye than me explain the improvement in defence? The first 20 minutes had Fisher looking for another job on here but it was barely mentioned thereafter. Did the players adapt to the system, or did we revert to a different system? No doubt the dudes on the Roar will give some insight, but I’m impatient.

Watch the first 2 minutes again. Note how many times a Wallabies defender moves out of the line faster than the people the other side of him.

The concept may have been to get aggressive and knock the ABs off their rhythm, but individual mistakes were made.

The first try is an example of this - Bell comes into a 2-man tackle situation rather than holding his line, and Jordan skates through.

From that point we seemed to be very passive in defence, allowing the ABs gain line ball. And they had a lot of it to work with.

As the game wore on we got the balance right between cohesion and aggression.

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
Can someone with a better eye than me explain the improvement in defence? The first 20 minutes had Fisher looking for another job on here but it was barely mentioned thereafter. Did the players adapt to the system, or did we revert to a different system? No doubt the dudes on the Roar will give some insight, but I’m impatient.
I am not sure there was any material change in systems it was more that the guys were up for it. There was still some glaring holes but the guys mostil covered it. Not sure if Laurie still deserves the post but will bow to anyone with more knowledge.

Reactions: dru

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
Watch the first 2 minutes again. Note how many times a Wallabies defender moves out of the line faster than the people the other side of him.

The concept may have been to get aggressive and knock the ABs off their rhythm, but individual mistakes were made.

The first try is an example of this - Bell comes into a 2-man tackle situation rather than holding his line, and Jordan skates through.

From that point we seemed to be very passive in defence, allowing the ABs gain line ball. And they had a lot of it to work with
I think it's a tactic SA use with one player in rush defence to put on pressure or tackle with the line covering the hole behind him. Paisami's efforts in the past cost us dearly as nobody expected it.
Don't disagree with the rest of your post. Not sure our defensive systems are fit for purpose and seem out of date, compared to SA, Ireland and France. Again there will be some guys here who know more than me.

Reactions: dru

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
Yes, on attack we could have been much better. Go back 12 or 24 months, and look at how many times we missed simple cleanouts to turn the ball over. Marked improvement in accuracy and retention.
You and I agree on the importance of the breakdown, one of the most important parts of any rugby game.

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
The major problem due to our age and experience is real time decision making and that will come with more games and a consistently competitive team.

griffins

Billy Sheehan (19)
I think it's a tactic SA use with one player in rush defence to put on pressure or tackle with the line covering the hole behind him. Paisami's efforts in the past cost us dearly as nobody expected it.
Don't disagree with the rest of your post. Not sure our defensive systems are fit for purpose and seem out of date, compared to SA, Ireland and France. Again there will be some guys here who know more than me.
They are out and out designated shooters, our guys rush when they get a rush of blood or panic and try to solve a problem by themselves (as in Santa Fe). Perhaps they got the message to trust the system? Also we held the ball for more than 2 seconds without making an error in the second half, ABs had less chances. One positive defensively has been goal line d, we're not just automatically conceding from 5 metres out as we have recently (last year and the start of this season).

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Got to get the defence right. If they are making mistakes with people shooting out of the line at the wrong time then the system seems to not be working. We are giving teams so much space out wide. The Boks kept us very quiet, as did Los Pumas.
Giving teams an early lead will never work with us chasing the game.

Marce

John Hipwell (52)
I agree. The ABs underestimated the game and squandered many tries. With a more focused Kiwis this could have finished with another +60 in your account

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I agree. The ABs underestimated the game and squandered many tries. With a more focused Kiwis this could have finished with another +60 in your account
The good news is that our defence was better in the second stanza but there were still holes. Not so much on the flanks though.
Is it the system or that our players are not defending how they are supposed to?
Of course its a bit late to change it for next week but maybe moving forward there should at least be some adjustments.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yep I realise that mate, I just saying what I want. But I don't have to balance the books etc for RA etc, so mine is purely selfish preference.
It must be hard for those working at RA, there would be times where you cannot do what you want because you need to think about dollars instead of the fans.

I would prefer only night games but realise that this may not be the best financial situation, I would also prefer 2 match test series apart from the Lions as I like the home and away concept to determine who wins/keeps a trophy. I think the number of times we play NZ has lessened the meaning of the games but realise without it we would be more broke than we are.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It must be hard for those working at RA, there would be times where you cannot do what you want because you need to think about dollars instead of the fans.

One school of thought: create value through scarcity.

Yes, we got well over 60k through the gates at Homebush, but is the cost to that facility proportionally larger? Also throw in a few thousand freebies and the cost-benefit would be interesting to look at for a game that was at 75% capacity. Empty seats are never a good look...

What if the game was at an absolutely packed SFS instead? Would the smaller facility, better amenities, easier transport links, and superior social options pre- and post-match be as good or better?

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
scxhatjqreqd1.png

Beating Razor's All Blacks is simple - just limit them scoring in the first half and they'll let you do the rest in the second half.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
In isolation, sure, but RA has to deal with NRL block bookings, and they definitely get priority for SFS on Saturday if they want it.

I thought it was a great day out at Homebush. Pretty much the only big blocks of empty seats were at the top tier of the western stand.