• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australia v NZ. Bledisloe Cup Series 2024. Sep 21, Sep 28

Australia vs NZ. Bledisloe Cup Series 2024 Sep 21, Sep 28

• not watching this

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • call it off

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • cripple fight

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Soup Rugby shits and giggles 52-44 scenario

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • NZ 2-0

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • 1-1

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • Aus 2-0

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • Would somebody PLEASE hold me?

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Mummy! I said hold me!

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • "Mr Cyclo! Stop holding mummy! Mr Cyclo is the bad man, mummy!"

Votes: 10 18.9%

• Total voters

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
View attachment 20553

Beating Razor's All Blacks is simple - just limit them scoring in the first half and they'll let you do the rest in the second half.

It used to be the case that if AB were 10 - 13 behind with 20 to go you'd back them to get home seven or eight times out of ten. Now it's a case of hoping they don't blow whatever lead they might have built by then...

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
One school of thought: create value through scarcity.

Yes, we got well over 60k through the gates at Homebush, but is the cost to that facility proportionally larger? Also throw in a few thousand freebies and the cost-benefit would be interesting to look at for a game that was at 75% capacity. Empty seats are never a good look...

What if the game was at an absolutely packed SFS instead? Would the smaller facility, better amenities, easier transport links, and superior social options pre- and post-match be as good or better?

I believe they have a content deal with the NSW Government and as a part of that the game has to be at Homebush so they can have as many tickets on offer for travelling fans as possible. And that also tips the $$ equation well in RA's favour.

Speaking personally I love a packed SFS but the atmosphere was great with nearly 70k in the afternoon sun. Homebush has its flaws but you can't replicate the energy of that many people.

Marce

John Hipwell (52)
One school of thought: create value through scarcity.

Yes, we got well over 60k through the gates at Homebush, but is the cost to that facility proportionally larger? Also throw in a few thousand freebies and the cost-benefit would be interesting to look at for a game that was at 75% capacity. Empty seats are never a good look...

What if the game was at an absolutely packed SFS instead? Would the smaller facility, better amenities, easier transport links, and superior social options pre- and post-match be as good or better?
The Bledisloe is the biggest rugby event of the year in Australia. Many casuals go to the game to watch international rugby. Nowadays to watch the ABs, in the recent past to watch the Wallabies too. If you play the game in Moore Park you are satisfying the rugby strongholds but a game in Homebush is more suitable for people from GWS, Parramatta, Bankstown, Auburn, Eastwood, Penrith, etc etc. And we are talking about one game, if you eliminate that game, your presence in that area is zero. That's area is a League stronghold and even AFL has more presence than rugby nowadays. It doesn't make sense to me

wamberal99

Bob Loudon (25)
The Bledisloe is the biggest rugby event of the year in Australia. Many casuals go to the game to watch international rugby. Nowadays to watch the ABs, in the recent past to watch the Wallabies too. If you play the game in Moore Park you are satisfying the rugby strongholds but a game in Homebush is more suitable for people from GWS, Parramatta, Bankstown, Auburn, Eastwood, Penrith, etc etc. And we are talking about one game, if you eliminate that game, your presence in that area is zero. That's area is a League stronghold and even AFL has more presence than rugby nowadays. It doesn't make sense to me
Agree.

Marce

John Hipwell (52)
Just checked again today and we are still 9th. Still nothing to crow about.
This is the new rankings, from tomorrow (Europe time zone):

1- Ireland (92.12)
2- South Africa (91.77)
3- New Zealand (88.70)
4- France (86.96)
5- England (85.40)
6- Argentina (84.30)
7- Scotland (82.82)
8- Italy (79.98)
9- Fiji (79.64)
10- Australia (79.32)

The Pumas and Fiji wins moved the board

Last edited:

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
We are now ranked 10th behind Fiji in the world rankings. Great close loss on the weekend, world rugby recognises this as well.
I am not going to lose sleep over a net 1.66 pt slip in the rankings that was due to losing to the All Blacks by 3 pts and Fiji thumping Eddie's Japan. I've said elsewhere that the rankings don't resemble reality until the NH teams are actually playing, if we are still at #10 after the spring tours I will put my tail between my legs, concede defeat and buy you a bottle of Rittenhouse. No none is suggesting we are about to see a return to the Macqueen era, but we are building ahead of the Lions.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
NZ win by 50+: meh, the Argies put 67 on 'em, whatevs
NZ win by 40: boom chucka, nice wee fantasyland soup-style 80 min break from the grind of test rugby reality
NZ win by 30: Good runaround to paper over the AB cracks before Ire/Eng/Fra bring home the home truths
NZ win by 20: shitshow, playing down to the level below Italy, f*** you Razor
NZ win by 10: moral victory to Aus
NZ lose: grudging praise of Aus followed by The WWW Meme Jaws Of Hell opening at daybreak.
Claiming moral victory, moral points and expecting moral humility from you.

Marce

John Hipwell (52)
I've said elsewhere that the rankings don't resemble reality until the NH teams are actually playing, if we are still at #10 after the spring tours I will put my tail between my legs, concede defeat and buy you a bottle of Rittenhouse.
9 or 10 is the same for me. You have to beat Ireland or England to really climb the rankings

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
9 or 10 is the same for me. You have to beat Ireland or England to really climb the rankings
I realise this, the reason we are where we are is the one in 70 year double point loss to Fiji at the RWC. To their credit Fiji thumped Eddie's Japan without their NH based stars, but I think that was more to do with the opposition. Argentina have proven they are pretty good by beating all 3 SH powerhouses in the last 6 weeks. We have a game against the AB's this weekend, and then we play 3 more teams ranked higher than us on the tour. I reckon we need to win 3 of the next 5 games to restore some proper credibility, 2 will get us up to 6 or 7, depending on other results.

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
I am not going to lose sleep over a net 1.66 pt slip in the rankings that was due to losing to the All Blacks by 3 pts and Fiji thumping Eddie's Japan. I've said elsewhere that the rankings don't resemble reality until the NH teams are actually playing, if we are still at #10 after the spring tours I will put my tail between my legs, concede defeat and buy you a bottle of Rittenhouse. No none is suggesting we are about to see a return to the Macqueen era, but we are building ahead of the Lions.
I totally agree with your points but the rankings have some resemblance to current reality which I think has importance. If we slipped from 5th to 6th I would shrug my shoulders 10th is closer to hell in a strong rugby state.

I am hopful that Joe can stop one part of the reason why we are where we are and that is losing to countries below us, I have no idea why this is but can we just stop being kind to rugby nations below us.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
I am hopful that Joe can stop one part of the reason why we are where we are and that is losing to countries below us, I have no idea why this is but can we just stop being kind to rugby nations below us.
Isn't the answer simply that we have no depth, so when we rest key players against "weaker" teams on tours, our b-teams aren't good enough to beat their a-teams?

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
Isn't the answer simply that we have no depth, so when we rest key players against "weaker" teams on tours, our b-teams aren't good enough to beat their a-teams?
I guess the obvious one was Italy with Rennie which I thought was madness. Why are professional players training at this level not available for every International game? We used to have a B team that played states and occasionally clubs but be replacements injury or out of form.We would put out our A team for all internationals. Injuries I accept and that could have been part of Rennie's thinking as we had a disastrous time in S&C ATT. There are 13 international games in 2024 and 15 rounds of Super Rugby plus one game in finals if lucky. 28/29 games a year IF they play all games should be doable by a pro player.

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
This was true but with the 'finishers' doing a better job than the starters, it adds to the confusion which is Aus rugby.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
View attachment 20553

Beating Razor's All Blacks is simple - just limit them scoring in the first half and they'll let you do the rest in the second half.

It's not just that AB aren't scoring in the final quarter of matches: in those five scoreless last-twenties they've shipped 50 which is possibly even more concerning than scoring none.

Last edited:

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
And they could say something like this: Beating Joe's Wallabies is simple - just score as many points as possible in their first 20 minutes and that's all.
I think Argentina would argue differently. We are far more inconsistently bad.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
@KiwiM has posted on the New Zealand Rugby Team Watch thread* that Chay Fihaki has been called into AB camp as cover, presumably for JBar even though he's a 14/15. As noted by kiwi, there must be some Blues & Chiefs players scratching their heads at that one, I've never really thought of Fihaki as a potential AB.

* Edit: starting to appear in NZ media now:

Last edited: