• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australia v NZ. Bledisloe Cup Series 2024. Sep 21, Sep 28

Australia vs NZ. Bledisloe Cup Series 2024 Sep 21, Sep 28

• not watching this

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • call it off

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • cripple fight

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Soup Rugby shits and giggles 52-44 scenario

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • NZ 2-0

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • 1-1

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • Aus 2-0

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • Would somebody PLEASE hold me?

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Mummy! I said hold me!

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • "Mr Cyclo! Stop holding mummy! Mr Cyclo is the bad man, mummy!"

Votes: 10 18.9%

• Total voters

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Just watched the game. Might give my overall thoughts on our performance tomorrow cause im drunk and tired. For now ill just say this; the game was entertaining and the fact that game went down to the wire was a real credit to our players. I put $400 on the all blacks to beat the line which at the start of the week was 10.5 points. By game day the line was 14.5 points and after the first 20 mins that looked like a generous line for us. To lose by 3 and be in the ascendency at full time says we clearly outperformed expectations.

dru

David Wilson (68)
Mate, if I have your thoughts right, you've left the pack largely as is, but willfully attacked the backs?

Don't know where to start with that.

OK dreadful fopah extending my own post, but wtf, yes I do know where to start.

Our set piece was diabolical. I don't get it because we have shown at different times an ability to be effective in both scrum (and maul) and line out. There is a major snafu going on here somewhere. It has nothing to do with backs.

Our D. Where was it? Look, I know in a modern D setup the backs are utterly key, but seriously what was the pack doing? Not much. Like seriously not fucking much at all. There is criticism over cover tackling, when our basic holding the fort was simply not there.

Fundamentally though, my query is not about the pack even. It's about our system and the apparent non-comfort in the pack to be effective with it. This might be the individuals selected, but I suspect there is an issue in the coaching, or more to the systems and how quickly our guys are adapting to those systems. ie not quickly.

I'd humbly suggest that Rennie was way ahead on the Wallaby journey in an equivalent number of tests. It doesn't mean that Schmidt isn't the right bloke and I'm definitely NOT suggesting we aught look at replacing HC. But something here is not gelling. He has only limited games before the BIL. It needs to start connecting soon. Very soon.

And of course none of that explains the failing set piece. Which is (again) not simply about the individuals.

You might note that the backs don't feature is this discussion. At all.

dru

David Wilson (68)
Nic White continuing to scream ”NOT STRAIGHT, NOT STRAIGHT, NOT STRAIGHT" at the ref for about 30 seconds after the lineout had long since finished was one of the most appalling acts in all of rugby football history.

Geez, I suspect I've seen much worse from White, the "slap to football/soccer rolling around the floor in faux agony" is probably not the only one. And I think I can remember a Wallaby throwing someone's shoe off the pitch, once.

"Not straight"? pfft.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Also, maybe unpopular but that knock on against the ABs in the first half was 100%. You cant use the fluffybunny in front of you to control the ball. That is not the laws I am at least a bit certain.

Although maybe that's a Rugba Leeg rule.. which would make sense and therefore not be a rugby rule.

rod skellet

Desmond Connor (43)
I just watch the replay and yes the Wallabies put in a very respectable effort against a AB team that clearly is unusually inconsistent. Sadly for the Wallabies to improve we need a step up in callibre of player. This is something that the coach cannot fix. There a key weaknesses across the park. We do not have a strike weapon in the backs. This will change when Joseph Sua'ali'i joins the Wallabies. He is a much better union player than a league player. That said our 5/8th needs to be fixed. As a avid watcher of schoolboy rugby, the best number 10 in the last 10 years at schoolboy level was Isaiya Katoa and Wayne Bennet got him before RA even new he existed. In addition we need 6 world class props. We have 2, Bell and Tuopau, but one plays 40 mins and both have struggled with injuries. The Boks can do it. We need to find a way to nurture props and hookers. Our locks and back row are ok. Our 9's are ok to. Ikitau is class, but it would be nice to uncover a quality fullback. (Can we clone a Matt Bourke/Roger Gould?). Next week is going to be ugly. I think all of the Wallaby supporters expect to be spanked next week. How does Joe fix this. Time I suppose. Tonight was a good game but sadly we cannot reproduce it week in week out.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Geez, I suspect I've seen much worse from White, the "slap to football/soccer rolling around the floor in faux agony" is probably not the only one. And I think I can remember a Wallaby throwing someone's shoe off the pitch, once.

"Not straight"? pfft.
Phipps throw the shoe. White did get the die blonde fluffybunny sent for striking.

Last edited:
Reactions: dru

dru

David Wilson (68)
Well Korobiete has been poor, Donaldson should be back and McDermott deserves a crack to start & Nic White isn't the answer IMO

And like specifically, none of that would have given the Wallabies a better result. Even if I did agree, which I don't.

The easy improvements here are totally in the forwards, and mostly not about replacing selections.

rugbyAU

Dick Tooth (41)
And like specifically, none of that would have given the Wallabies a better result. Even if I did agree, which I don't.

The easy improvements here are totally in the forwards, and mostly not about replacing selections.
Well Donaldson is a better bench option than Lynagh