• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australia v New Zealand - Sydney 16 Aug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
That's why the option is there to go to sweeper. At times during Tahs games this year, he went straight to the wing with Horne to 12, but usually played sweeping fullback with Folau.

On defensive lineouts, Foley would go into hooker and Beale would go to the open wing, with Horne going to 10 and everyone else shuffling.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I'd say Link will leave him at 10 in the defensive line as he did with QC (Quade Cooper) last year. If they are going to run at him from the scrum they will have to get past Hooper & Palu, and from the lineout any such strategy will be well marketed and he will be supported by other defenders.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Tahs
10. Beale 12. Foley/Horne
I actually think Beale's natural position is fullback/wing.

I'd be surprised if the Tahs switched it around next season. It worked well this year.

I think Beale's natural position is definitely 10. He's been a ball player since a young age. This year he's really come of age in terms of his short and long passing game as well as taking the ball to the line in two hands.

Beale obviously excelled at fullback in 2009 and 2010 particularly but in the long term I think his game is far better suited to 10. Much the same as Cooper.

As the 10 drops back to field kicks and counterattack in most structures, it's not really surprising that just about all 10s are pretty decent fullbacks. Foley spent his first Super Rugby season there as well.

T

Train Without a Station

I disagree strongly BH that he is naturally definitely a 10.

Yes Beale's distribution has improved under Cheika, but his instinct still is and has been to look for his own option to break the line. From what I have seen (probably only watched half the games so could be wrong) he's passes have been after he initially sought out a gap of his own.

That's why he has previously had the tendency to crab, because he was moving laterally to look for a hole.

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
Anyone caught a training session to see who will be kicking goals with Foley dumped?

No surprises at all with the pack and only a minor one shifting AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in, but the fly half call is incredible. What a risk sacking the form fly half of the comp and only recognised goal kicker in the side! You'd have to think Beale will need to be worth at least a try more than Foley just to make up for the goal kicking deficiency it has created wouldn't you?

Massive call - time will tell to see if it pays off I guess.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I disagree strongly BH that he is naturally definitely a 10.

Yes Beale's distribution has improved under Cheika, but his instinct still is and has been to look for his own option to break the line. From what I have seen (probably only watched half the games so could be wrong) he's passes have been after he initially sought out a gap of his own.

That's why he has previously had the tendency to crab, because he was moving laterally to look for a hole.

Compare it to Cooper though. Cooper has been at his best when he's shown a consistent willingness to take the line on which puts defenders in two minds. In 2014 he wasn't taking the ball to the line enough and it meant that the players outside him were better covered by the defence.

Beale really hasn't been crabbing this year. I completely agree he did in the past though.

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
TWaS, go back and look at your recording of the final, Beale gave four beautifully-timed passes to Hooper, Foley and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) resulting in two excellent metre-eating runs and two tries. THIS is what got him the gig and what Link wants from him on Saturday.

Kurtley's cut out his crabbing this year. Time to move on from that gentlemen.

gone

Ted Fahey (11)
I'd say Link will leave him at 10 in the defensive line as he did with QC (Quade Cooper) last year. If they are going to run at him from the scrum they will have to get past Hooper & Palu, and from the lineout any such strategy will be well marketed and he will be supported by other defenders.

Link moved Cooper out of the front line post the England game. This was due to him attempting 11 tackles and missing 5 (mainly loose forwards running straight over him).

I expect Horne will move in for Beale in defence much like the Tahs. Beale and Folau to combine at the back.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
In general play Beale is almost certain to drop back most of the time as pretty much every 10 does.

I think there's a reasonable chance he'll defend at hooker off lineouts like the Tahs do with Foley but off the scrum I think he'll be at 10. It's probably the best place to put your weakest defender because they get help from either side.

T

Train Without a Station

I don't expect Horne will be topping the completion percentages if 110kg loose forwards are running at him as well. I wouldn't expect any back who is under 95kg to in fact.

And Lindo, that's why I said "That's why he has previously had the tendency to crab, because he was moving laterally to look for a hole."

You'll notice the use of past tense. Because it's not current. Merely noting it to explain my point on why I think his first instinct is to look for his own opportunity.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I think that is the thing with KB (Kurtley Beale), there is a negative perception of him and that is because he has made a few mistakes and has had a few shortcomings in his career to date. A lot of these can be attributed to immaturity, he is only 25 now and the 2014 version has been a lot more consistent and a lot more mature than the version that played from the ages of 18-24.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
My question re Beale/Foley is this:

Nothing has changed too much since the French tests. Beale's form has improved marginally, but you could say the same for Foley as well. If Link was truly considering this move (and it must have been in his mind), then why wasn't KB (Kurtley Beale) given a game at 10 in the 3rd test? Would have been a nice trial and allowed him to develop combinations with White and To'omua.

Now I feel like the French series was something of a waste, in terms of our backline anyway, and we go in to the first Bled a bit underdone.

I disagree about the French tests being a waste of time playing Foley at 10.

Foley went in with great form, had a merely average first game in a very strong team performance, and below average second and third games.

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/wallabies-v-france-1st-test-player-ratings/
http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/australia-v-france-ii-player-ratings/
http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/australia-v-france-iii-player-ratings/

(You personally may not agree with that person who did the second ratings, he sounds sus!)

Now, Foley's performance may improve with time as he gets used to a backline without Beale doing a lot of the organising. But I think Link wants to try Beale first.

Through this year, Beale has improved his playmaking, stepping up into first receiver over and over for the Tahs. Posts just up from mine say it best: Beale was the creator for the Tahs in the final, not Foley.

Both Beale and Foley have been playing really well, but I think two things pushed this selection:
1) Foley's performances vs the French
2) Beale noticeable organisation of the Tahs backline in the second half of the season, culminating in the final

T

Train Without a Station

KOB, a player that has made a name for themselves as an opportunist hole runner is not going to suddenly become a selfless playmaker though. We have to remember what part of his play made him so good when he was at his best previously. He may (more likely will) add to that but I doubt he will completely reinvent himself.

We all thought Giteau was this world class 10 when in a rich vein of form but over time we discovered that he wasn't anything near that.

I'm just saying why I think he is a back up as a 10, not an out and out 10.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
the other good thing about KB (Kurtley Beale) in run on side is that it may delay his possible move to league - I hope so !!!!

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Comparing Hooper to Pocock on form is a futile exercise. From a purely head fucking point of view though, Pocock is miles in front.
I reckon if you gave the AB's and Saffas the option to remove one name from the Wallabies team sheet and Pocock's would be first picked every day of the week and twice on game day.
As great a player as Hooper is (and that's pretty fantastic) I don't think he'll ever command the same respect from the oppo as Pocock did and hopefully will again.
Same could be said about Poey with George Smith..

If there's one guy I'd pick in my team no matter who was available it's Smith.. because it's gerorge fucking smith..

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
To be quite honest,why the hell does so much of the discussion come down to the refs? The Ref isn't going to decide the game, the players are!!
Say hello to my little friend
uploadfromtaptalk1407893141954.jpg

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I actually think Steve Walsh is a good referee. I'm a rarity.

With all the chat surrounding Beale, there hasn't been too much chat surrounding the piggies.

I think those selections were absolutely spot on.

I would have even considered moving To'omua into #10 and having Beale and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) respectively in the centres.

Part of me thinks Link chose Beale to perplex any common plans the All Blacks may have had surrounding Foley, especially after the Crusader loss.

With that being said, I have a lot of faith in Beale and really hope he plays the house down.

Status
Not open for further replies.