• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australia v New Zealand - Sydney 16 Aug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Is Peyper really that bad? I mean, he does keep the cards away, but he's better than Poite.

I would prefer Joubert to anyone, but I don't think it'll be an overly crucial factor.

Yeah. Poite is on the sideline, so does that mean he will control the game at Eden Park? A fate much worse than Peyper.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
My question re Beale/Foley is this:

Nothing has changed too much since the French tests. Beale's form has improved marginally, but you could say the same for Foley as well. If Link was truly considering this move (and it must have been in his mind), then why wasn't KB (Kurtley Beale) given a game at 10 in the 3rd test? Would have been a nice trial and allowed him to develop combinations with White and To'omua.

Now I feel like the French series was something of a waste, in terms of our backline anyway, and we go in to the first Bled a bit underdone.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
A generally settled and experienced backline. Think Beale at 10 could be a masterstroke.

Not sure what your definition of settled or generally settled is Bairdy, but I swear this 9-15 has never ever started a test match before or even been on the park at the same time.

New halfback, 1st 5 combo. New midfield and new back 3. The upside is that there are provincial links in amongst all that and some test match play together, but still at test level I would say its not in the same postcode as settled.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Pack is what I was expecting it to be but I'm pretty ambivalent about these backs selections..

Backs selections have 'power game' written all over them, even more so if Tevita is on the bench. I'd reckon Kurtley got the nod at 10 in hopes of balancing this out.

His long passing game the past few weeks has looked better than it every has and we all know how ridiculously devastating the combination of his footwork and short passing game/vision can be. He's been flattening up to the line quite a bit more this year as well which has amplified the impact of his short passing game ten-fold. Expecting lots of play to happen in the midfield.

Hope White doesn't get the kicking yips as he does sometimes.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)

Nothing has changed too much since the French tests. Beale's form has improved marginally, but you could say the same for Foley as well. If Link was truly considering this move (and it must have been in his mind), then why wasn't KB (Kurtley Beale) given a game at 10 in the 3rd test? Would have been a nice trial and allowed him to develop combinations with White and To'omua.

Now I feel like the French series was something of a waste, in terms of our backline anyway, and we go in to the first Bled a bit underdone.

You're right, if Link thought that Beale might be good at 10, he had to test him against the French and not experience against ABs!. I hope this experiment work on saturday because if it fails the blame will be 100% of Link

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't remember Link ever listing a 9 man bench before. I cannot see us ditching any of the backs so Higgers would be the obvious omission given form. Is McCalman under an injury of sorts?

Huge rainfall in Sydney so far this week and expected to be records level over the weekend. NRL matches on Thursday AND Friday. Ground is going be woeful.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Not sure what your definition of settled or generally settled is Bairdy, but I swear this 9-15 has never ever started a test match before or even been on the park at the same time.

New halfback, 1st 5 combo. New midfield and new back 3. The upside is that there are provincial links in amongst all that and some test match play together, but still at test level I would say its not in the same postcode as settled.
Of course it is not as settled as the All Blacks, who have a seasoned centre partnership of Nonu and Smith, and will likely have a backline that as a collective has played a test previously.

But generally settled as in White has been the incumbent or backup [scrumhalf] for a year and a half - as has Folau and To'omua - and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has been a mainstay of the backline for years.

You could say Beale at 10, playing To'omua and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) together in the centres, and a new back three will unsettle the team, but Beale has played 40-odd tests, including a couple at flyhalf; To'omua has played a dozen tests predominantly at 12 (with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in the same backline for most of them), and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has about a century of test experience.

Additionally, Horne and McCabe have played 16 and 22 tests respectively.

If they're good enough, the players are professional enough to overcome any unfamiliarity and make it work.

If anything, I'm more concerned about how the forwards battle will pan out.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Poite is just a stupid appointment given the Top 14 starts this week. Barnes might be doing the Premiership 7s?

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
Where is the next match caller coming from?

I don't mind Sean Maloney. His exuberance is quite enjoyable but he doesn't really have much gravitas (at least at this stage).

Gordon Bray is past is on FTA. He has a great voice but he makes so many mistakes.

I don't think the Shute Shield commentators really shine either.

Greg Clark is the best we've got currently in my view.

I don't think anyone else on the Fox panel is about to be a match caller.

Wish Martin Tyler was a rugby fan.

emuarse

Chilla Wilson (44)
Congrats to Link and the selectors, they had a very hard task, especially with the backline, I think they've done well.

My only concern is not having a precision goal-kicker in the team. Beale is very hot and cold. To'omua is good, but I would rather err on the side on caution and pick Foley- the man with nerves of steal.

Happy with the forward pack, well done Nathan Charles- always been a very big fan, I hope he plays well - he deserves a run on.
I would have thought White will be the goal kicker,
Does anyone have his stats for the Super 15 season in this regard?

emuarse

Chilla Wilson (44)
Hooper didnt seem too worrying last time at this level. But maybe thats cos he was following Pocock who was a HUGE pest. Maybe it was more a case of "jeezus, thank christ that bastard is gone".

Beale at 1st 5, who cares, if the AB 8 do the business they could have Benny Hill there for all the good it'd do them, going backwards, shit ball, bobbling around, oh fuvk just kick it out

Aus denied NZ the winning streak record last time, suspect the bleck side might come out with bloodmurder on the brain this time.

Ya gotta luv it - pure Kiwi talk unfiltered from the Land of the Long White Cloud

emuarse

Chilla Wilson (44)

Barbarian, I can't agree with your observation. In the last three games of S15 since the french series, I feel that Beale has grabbed his chances with both arms, particularly in the final where his cross field passing to the outside backs was sublime... that IMHO is what got him the nod. Link wants an attacking backline and Link sees in Beale what he sees in QC (Quade Cooper) - a player who can see the opportunities with his peripheral vision ('out of the corner of his eye' for the Kiwi readers here), and utilise ('use' for Kiwi readers) those opportunities.

Wilson

Phil Kearns (64)
I don't remember Link ever listing a 9 man bench before. I cannot see us ditching any of the backs so Higgers would be the obvious omission given form. Is McCalman under an injury of sorts?

Huge rainfall in Sydney so far this week and expected to be records level over the weekend. NRL matches on Thursday AND Friday. Ground is going be woeful.

I don't know, he may still go with only two back reserves. With the wet weather he may well want a forward heavy bench and there is a lot of versatility in that back line (assuming Phipps and Foley are the reserves). Everyone but White is capable of covering at least 2 backline positions well. It'll be a big gamble though and I'm sure he'll only do it if all those backs are 100% fit going in. Worst comes to worst he can always play Higgers on the wing, he's got plenty of experience there ;).

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
For those that were getting excited about the game this weekend:

Referee Jaco Peyper
AR1 Romain Poite
AR2 Stuart Berry
TMO Shaun Veldsman

I have tried several search strings and I can't verify this anywhere..

BJ, you have been chuckling under your breath for 24 hours with this wind up haven't you?

Status
Not open for further replies.