• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australia v New Zealand - Sydney 16 Aug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
To'omua in Brumbies played ALL season at 10 and Beale in Waratahs played ALL season at 12. If Link wanted to get rid of Foley. Why not put them in their natural position??? (Although Beale isn't a natural centre)

10 To'omua 12 Beale

T

Train Without a Station

Because a 12 that can't defend in the line is a large concern that would involve moving multiple players.

A 10 really only defends in the line of set piece play and otherwise they consistently drop back anyway. Also they are the closest to be able to cover when they do defend in the line.

T

Train Without a Station

Oh and To'omua is a genuine crash ball option on attack.

Beale attacks like a fullback. The ball would have to go to either wing to crash it up if there's nothing on if To'omua was at 10.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Wow !!!

Kurtley has gone from a 'no pressure' off the bench spot to being firmly in the spotlight. Its all been KB (Kurtley Beale) - interviews etc.

Just hope the bloke handles the pressure off the field and more importantly on the field, come saturday night

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
To be quite honest,why the hell does so much of the discussion come down to the refs? The Ref isn't going to decide the game, the players are!!

Hope neither side has any reason to dispute this after the game. But somehow, I think one way or another the ref will come in for a bit of criticism (possibly warranted) afterwards.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Wow !!!

Kurtley has gone from a 'no pressure' off the bench spot to being firmly in the spotlight. Its all been KB (Kurtley Beale) - interviews etc.

Just hope the bloke handles the pressure off the field and more importantly on the field, come saturday night

He has been under intense media scrutiny since he was a schoolboy star, invited to train with the Waratahs. No pressure, Kurtley. ;)

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
To'omua in Brumbies played ALL season at 10 and Beale in Waratahs played ALL season at 12. If Link wanted to get rid of Foley. Why not put them in their natural position??? (Although Beale isn't a natural centre)

10 To'omua 12 Beale

The real question is why aren't they playing there natural positions at super rugby level.
Brumbies
10. Lilo 12. To'omua
Tahs
10. Beale 12. Foley/Horne
I actually think Beale's natural position is fullback/wing.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The ref has played a pretty significant role in the outcome of the odd Bledisloe game here and there. And usually because its neutral refs, we're talking South Africans. So when their system is in a down swing, you end up with contention.

Certainly John Kaplan has "made up" for his 2000 Wellingon Bledisloe "blunder" by dogmatically fisting Australian teams since then :)

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Because a 12 that can't defend in the line is a large concern that would involve moving multiple players.

A 10 really only defends in the line of set piece play and otherwise they consistently drop back anyway. Also they are the closest to be able to cover when they do defend in the line.

Moving multiple players didn't hurt the Waratahs this year and I dare say the Wallabies will defend like them too. Beale to the wing, To'omua to fly-half and Horne to inside centre.

T

Train Without a Station

So the Wallabies will rotate 3 players, giving 3 opportunities for somebody to be caught out in changing position rather than 2, or possibly none with Beale only defending in the line off set piece?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Where do you think you are Dan? Now that Robbie Deans is gone, who else could possibly be at fault for any Wallaby loss to the ABs?!

And the ref played no part in the RWC 2007 Quarter Final outcome?

The poor bastard with the Acme Thunderer cops it from everybody, all the time, at all levels.

Bullrush

Geoff Shaw (53)
And the ref played no part in the RWC 2007 Quarter Final outcome?

The poor bastard with the Acme Thunderer cops it from everybody, all the time, at all levels.

At least we waited until AFTER the game to start bagging him.

And that actually was his fault....LOL ;)

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Moving multiple players didn't hurt the Waratahs this year and I dare say the Wallabies will defend like them too. Beale to the wing, To'omua to fly-half and Horne to inside centre.

Nup - straight swap Horne to 10, Beale to wing/sweeper. First channel is easiest to read for the backline.

T

Train Without a Station

Do you think they will even make the change. Generally the 10 will drop back in normal phase to phase play anyway? I personally would rather Beale in at 10 with good cover than isolated on the wing in the case of him needing to defend.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
So Beale goes to sweeper in defence, fair enough, I would assume he would go to the blind with either McCabe or Horne slotting in at lineout.

I can see Ben Smith & Julian Savea chasing some juicy, contestable box kicks

Scrum will be more interesting if we are under good pressure ( a reasonable assumption) It was tried with mixed success in the S14, but I would have strong pressure, 1/4 turn to the blind and Smith sending Savea at Beale in a one on one with Smith & Reid looping in support

Status
Not open for further replies.