• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australia v New Zealand - Sydney 16 Aug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
not expecting a complete reinvention, just a more effective and creative player..

We are all expecting more from Beale after his stellar season at the Tahs. But I agree with TWAS. Beale should do a good-enough job in the short-term, but if we are looking at long term options for 10 then I don't see Beale as a contender (for the same reasons TWAS has mentioned).

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
I just hope that the Gold Mine/Gold Brigade concept works.

With all the focus on the Sydney Bledisloe Cup clash and filling the 3000 allocated seats at Homebush, what hope is there for the Gold Mine at the Brissie Game, and the other TRC games?

Have chapters been formed in Bris-Vegas and other Test match centres?

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Saw this in the morning paper (online)

Ahh the memories....

20119.jpg

Yeah I agree Hugh, a great initiative- the Gold Brigade. They've sold 2000 thus far I believe.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
^^ That is not true.

The phone system in NZ is completely different to that.

This image was taken from a Telecom NZ job advertisment in the "Sepia Courier" newspaper on Saturday 10 November 2012, and it shows it like it really is.

Sepia is apparently a rather progressive provincial centre on the West Coast of New Zealand.

2012.10W.03.jpg

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the tight 5 are our biggest area of concern.

We're going to need them to play out of their skins to achieve close to parity with the All Blacks and that's what we'll need to have a chance of winning the game.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
I'm with you @braveheart81.

I feel that the Men in Gold are going to struggle to compete with the fatties from Mordor, particularly at set pieces and we are going to get penalised out of the match.

Forget about the Gilbert and the other hairdressers, it is going to take a Herculean effort from the blokes with the single digits on their back if we hope to have any chance of getting a hand on the Bledisloe, and that task is so much more difficult with TPN and Squeaky missing from the squad.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Yep. The AB locks are nothing but impressive and are supported by significant firepower on the bench.

It wouldn't surprise me to see them target our big fellas - Skelton and Cliffy will need to bring some proper (and appropriate) mongrel to the table.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think our set piece will hold up alright.

It's probably around the park where I'm more worried. Kepu and Slipper need to dominate their opposition in that area because Retallick and Whitelock are just so good. It's hard to see Carter and Simmons having that level of impact so we need to make up for it elsewhere.

I think the backrow matchup is very even and either side could come out on top. It's probably the best looking backrow we've put on the field since Elsom, Pocock and Samo in the 2011 Suncorp Bledisloe.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
We are all expecting more from Beale after his stellar season at the Tahs. But I agree with TWAS. Beale should do a good-enough job in the short-term, but if we are looking at long term options for 10 then I don't see Beale as a contender (for the same reasons TWAS has mentioned).

I tend to agree and will stick to my guns that the back 3 is where he will be by RWC 2015. And unless something happens to Folau it will be on the wing or in #23.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
in the meantime I'm just excited about the upcoming series, and I trust the Wallabies that they can keep me excited!

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Jesus I'm nervous about this game.

Hot tip for Wallaby fans in Melbourne, if you're planning on watching at the Turf Bar, bring mates. I'd never experienced hostility in sport until I landed myself amongst a bunch of young Kiwis on the turps with a World Cup final berth on the line.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I disagree. I think Cooper and Beale will be the two most likely contenders for the 10 jersey for some time to come. Foley is unlikely to be far behind either.

At 26 and 25 with 50 and 42 tests respectively they boast lots of experience and both have the attacking flair and playmaking ability that I think Aussie rugby fans want to see.

They certainly play the style of game McKenzie is advocating.

There are other players there or thereabouts like Leali'ifano and To'omua but they seem more to fit the 12 mold that's been looked for.

I don't really think there are any young 10s waiting in the wings who have really set the world alight in the last few years. Players like Debreczeni, Horwitz, Godwin and McIntyre are nowhere near the level Beale and Cooper had reached at similar ages. Out of that bunch Godwin has the most talent but I think we'll see him more as a 12 or possibly even 13 than a 10.

Clearly you're not a Beale fan and there are plenty like you in Australia. Like Cooper, he's a polarising player and some people will never get past their initial thoughts of disliking him as a person and/or not rating his ability. Cooper is still disliked by many and even though he's more popular outside Queensland than he ever was, it's taken him a long time to win over those fans.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I think the tight 5 are our biggest area of concern.

We're going to need them to play out of their skins to achieve close to parity with the All Blacks and that's what we'll need to have a chance of winning the game.

Mate its not just about the tight 5 playing out of their skins.

The whole 15 HAVE to do it to beat our little cousins

T

Train Without a Station

Beale is clearly a great player. Whilst he has had some consistency issues, that's really irrelevant to what we are all discussing right now. Personally I think there are similarities in his greatness more similar to Giteau than other similar quality players like Cooper.

Cooper can run but his distribution is stronger.

Beale can distribute but his running is stronger.

My thoughts would be similar if Cooper for example was to play fullback. I think he'd do ok there and wouldn't be a huge concern, but probably wouldn't make best use of his strongest strengths.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I disagree. I think Cooper and Beale will be the two most likely contenders for the 10 jersey for some time to come. Foley is unlikely to be far behind either.

At 26 and 25 with 50 and 42 tests respectively they boast lots of experience and both have the attacking flair and playmaking ability that I think Aussie rugby fans want to see.

They certainly play the style of game McKenzie is advocating.

There are other players there or thereabouts like Leali'ifano and To'omua but they seem more to fit the 12 mold that's been looked for.

I don't really think there are any young 10s waiting in the wings who have really set the world alight in the last few years. Players like Debreczeni, Horwitz, Godwin and McIntyre are nowhere near the level Beale and Cooper had reached at similar ages. Out of that bunch Godwin has the most talent but I think we'll see him more as a 12 or possibly even 13 than a 10.

Clearly you're not a Beale fan and there are plenty like you in Australia. Like Cooper, he's a polarising player and some people will never get past their initial thoughts of disliking him as a person and/or not rating his ability. Cooper is still disliked by many and even though he's more popular outside Queensland than he ever was, it's taken him a long time to win over those fans.

I disagree. I think their is basis that Beale is the most likely replacement for Cooper should Cooper be injured, but I just don't ever see him being a contender for the number one spot. He's only fighting it out for second choice.

There are lots of possibilities. To'omua as a 10 should a decent 12 arise (Goodwin, Lilo possibly). Lilo as a 10 if he has game time in the position.

Our lack of depth at 12 which has forced To'omua into the position works in Beale's favour. If we had a world-class option at 12 Beale would be third choice 10 behind Cooper and To'omua.

Bullrush

Geoff Shaw (53)
I don't think comparing Beale to Gits is a good comparison.

Beale started as a 10 and took the Tahs to the GF - almost winning it. Did Giteau ever do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.