• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australia v New Zealand - Sydney 16 Aug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Mate its not just about the tight 5 playing out of their skins.

The whole 15 HAVE to do it to beat our little cousins

I agree. To beat the All Blacks you need to play well across the park. You don't win by having a couple of guys play blinders.

I think the tight 5 is the area where the All Blacks have the biggest edge so that is where I think we really need to step up to have a strong chance.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
On Paper the Blecks should win, but games aren't won on paper. Otherwise the Kings wouldn't have a won game last year.

There is enough quality in our backline to score some tries and there is enough talent in the forward pack to make the forward exchanges combative.

The team that plays together best will win. Generally that's the All Blacks but with confidence high among the players, decent consistency and with home ground advantage, the Wallabies can get home if they play to their potential.

Defence is the key, not just making the tackles but really pressuring the all blacks on defence. The last time we did that to the All Blacks was at Suncorp 2011.

The Gold Brigade initiative should ensure that there is a fairly audible and parochial crowd on Saturday. Hopefully this year we can drown out the inevitable All Blacks chant and make some noise.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
On Paper the Blecks should win, but games aren't won on paper. Otherwise the Kings wouldn't have a won game last year.

There is enough quality in our backline to score some tries and there is enough talent in the forward pack to make the forward exchanges combative.

The team that plays together best will win. Generally that's the All Blacks but with confidence high among the players, decent consistency and with home ground advantage, the Wallabies can get home if they play to their potential.

Defence is the key, not just making the tackles but really pressuring the all blacks on defence. The last time we did that to the All Blacks was at Suncorp 2011.

The Gold Brigade initiative should ensure that there is a fairly audible and parochial crowd on Saturday. Hopefully this year we can drown out the inevitable All Blacks chant and make some noise.

Historically we have always taken some time to play to our potential whereas the AB's are good from game 1. So I think it favours the ABs playing us straight up in Aus.

I agree. And after reading that sentence my first thought was that our team looks really strong on defence with only KB (Kurtley Beale) potentially being the weak link.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I disagree. I think their is basis that Beale is the most likely replacement for Cooper should Cooper be injured, but I just don't ever see him being a contender for the number one spot. He's only fighting it out for second choice.

Let's just remember that up until less than a year ago, probably half the rugby public in Australia didn't think Cooper was up to it against the top teams.

Having lots of players in form can only be a good thing for Australian rugby.

The fact that the two major changes in this side was for two guys in outstanding form (Beale and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)) to oust players who also are in very good form is something I don't think we've seen in the Wallabies for quite a while.

In previous years it's been a case of players in pretty dire form struggling to lose their spots because the other options whilst playing well weren't pushing strongly enough to take their spot.

Look at Horwill for example. He's in much better form now than when he couldn't lose his spot last year (albeit he only just kept it due to an injury). Benn Robinson still can't make the squad and is playing much better than he was a year ago. Signs are good.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Let's just remember that up until less than a year ago, probably half the rugby public in Australia didn't think Cooper was up to it against the top teams.

This is a really good point. Cooper did silence a lot of critics last Test season. Now I'm not expecting him to be as successful as Cooper was last season but you are right, Beale has the chance to do the same this season and I hope he does.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
as do we all, because if he does we may well just win this thing..

and that's not to say it hinges on him playing well, the point is that an in form Beale is a match winner..

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Cooper's great coming of age test against the All Blacks where he was cool under pressure and his goal kicking was superb was also one we lost. Whilst that wasn't Cooper's fault, I guess it also shows how hard it is to beat the All Blacks.

As Scrubber said, it's going to take the whole 23 to play very well and a couple of players to be excellent. That's where the All Blacks are so good. They're just so consistent. Even when they don't really do anything special they play to a high standard and get the job done.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Why oh why aren't we playing the First Test at Suncorp? Blind Freddy could work out that the weather in Brisbane at this time of year would suit us a lot more than in Sydney.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
what I really hope for is that on Saturday every single player from 1-23 plays their hole out and cements their spot in the team for the following week..

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
I actually think Steve Walsh is a good referee. I'm a rarity.

With all the chat surrounding Beale, there hasn't been too much chat surrounding the piggies.

I think those selections were absolutely spot on.

I would have even considered moving To'omua into #10 and having Beale and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) respectively in the centres.

Part of me thinks Link chose Beale to perplex any common plans the All Blacks may have had surrounding Foley, especially after the Crusader loss.

With that being said, I have a lot of faith in Beale and really hope he plays the house down.
Not at all Walsh is good but he has decided games off his whistle

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
ICAC have just read that and are starting their dossier. Expect them to be in touch soon :)

Not soon. They have plenty to be going on with at present.

Just remember not to send a dated thank you card.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Not at all Walsh is good but he has decided games off his whistle

I agree. When he just referees the game and allows the players to play, he's one of the best. Unfortunately, he often seeks to put himself at centre stage and imposes himself on the game to the extent that the whole thing becomes about him instead of the players.

Status
Not open for further replies.