• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australia v New Zealand - Sydney 16 Aug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
RE beale :
even as of late June I wouldnt have liked this call due to beales tendency to 'crab' across field but as he has from the start of his tenure link has used form as his number 1 determining factor and you cant ignore the form of beale and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). I noted in the final that beale in his role as first reciever actually straightened the attack a few times and his hands were sublime. He is also the most like for like replacement of Quade cooper

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
i take your point and i'm slowly summoning the faith but there's a couple of hurdles on the road to the bled:

1. beale hasn't played a pure 10 role in awhile
2. he still has a tendency to crab (even though its been getting better)
3. imo he's looked better outside with more space than in the 10 channel in the tahs line
4. his comments about moving afield if he didnt get the starting role
5. aussie kicking percentages haven't been that great this year - we still need to develop this to >90%

my 'faith' comment was specific to goal kicking duties

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Of course one thing none of us know is what happened at training over the last few days.

Maybe Link had already made his mind up or maybe he went in not knowing who he was going to choose at 10 and 13.

Given we know that the first open training session started with pretty much the backline that played France it seems that all the competing players were given a chance to strut their stuff.

All I know is that it takes far more than just selecting the right team to beat the All Blacks. These guys are going to have to play out of their skins.

Reactions: BPC

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Anyone remember on what game Beale played at 10 against the Welsh? There were so many games against the Welsh in the last years that I can't remember. I'm not sure about Beale at 10, it's very risky. If only Link had tested him on a test match against the French.

The front row doesn't have suitable replacements, then at 60 minutes, when we have to replace them, it will be a difficult time for the team.

Who will be goal kicking?

I think that To'omua is the most effective kicker on the starting XV

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Congrats to Link and the selectors, they had a very hard task, especially with the backline, I think they've done well.

My only concern is not having a precision goal-kicker in the team. Beale is very hot and cold. To'omua is good, but I would rather err on the side on caution and pick Foley- the man with nerves of steal.

Happy with the forward pack, well done Nathan Charles- always been a very big fan, I hope he plays well - he deserves a run on.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
KB (Kurtley Beale) seemed fine playing first receiver often this year for the Tahs and for the Wallabies in 2012. Rarely crabbed in fact. Would rather he play 10 for the Wallabies but it ain't the end of the world if he plays at 12.

1. Slipper
2. Charles/Hanson
3. Kepu
4. Simmons
5. Carter
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Palu
9. White
10. Foley
11. Horne*
12. To'omua
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. McCabe*
15. Folau

Apart from Beale at 10, it seems I called it.

I'll see myself out.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Congrats to Link and the selectors, they had a very hard task, especially with the backline, I think they've done well.

My only concern is not having a precision goal-kicker in the team. Beale is very hot and cold. To'omua is good, but I would rather err on the side on caution and pick Foley- the man with nerves of steal.

Happy with the forward pack, well done Nathan Charles- always been a very big fan, I hope he plays well - he deserves a run on.

When has To'omua ever kicked at goal, I would say never he is down at about 5th for the Brumbies, probably fighting it out with Fardy/Carter and Sio.

White has kicked well this year it will be him or Beale, and probably training has decided who between the 2 of them.

But lets think about it from a kicking point of view.

Restarts: ????
Touch Line: To'omua
Goal White/Beale

EDIT: To be fair all kicks will come from 1 of these 3 and training probably will select who.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Where is the next match caller coming from?

I don't mind Sean Maloney. His exuberance is quite enjoyable but he doesn't really have much gravitas (at least at this stage).

Gordon Bray is past is on FTA. He has a great voice but he makes so many mistakes.

I don't think the Shute Shield commentators really shine either.

Greg Clark is the best we've got currently in my view.

I don't think anyone else on the Fox panel is about to be a match caller.

Dan Palmer

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)

Rugby HQ Top 5 needs more footage to work with. So hopefully Beale can emulate this against the All Blacks as well. ;)

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Tomikin, I swear I've seen To'omua kick at goal. But I'm usually pissed when watching the footy, so don't take my word for it.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
A generally settled and experienced backline. Think Beale at 10 could be a masterstroke.

With that being said, it will be interesting to see how our pack gels.

It always harks back to that old adage doesn't it?

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
If you really think that's why he was selected there in a game that may well decide our chances of both the Bledisloe and the RC this weekend, you probably think it was the CIA on the grassy knol and Harold Holt was picked up by a Russian submarine.

Definitely Chinese.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Replacements (one to be omitted): James Hanson, Pek Cowan, Ben Alexander, Will Skelton, Ben McCalman, Scott Higginbotham, Nick Phipps, Bernard Foley, Tevita Kuridrani.

I honestly think that is a pretty solid bench. Irrespective of some previous performances, I'm glad to see McCalman and Higginbotham being included.

T

Train Without a Station

For all those who were adamant Horwill will be in the 23 there seems to be a lack of discussion about his absence with all the focus on Beale.

I don't think anybody was adamant. I'm one of his strongest supporters and merely said Skelton wasn't a clear cut superior selection and they were both comparable in their benefit, with differing strengths.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
Just for shits-n-giggles.....who would you put your money on?​
Wallabies Rehab & Rejects

1. James Slipper 1.Ben Robinson
2. Nathan Charles 2. Stephen Moore
3. Sekope Kepu 3. Ben Alexander
4. Sam Carter 4. James Horwill
5. Rob Simmons 5. Will Skelton
6. Scott Fardy 6. Matt Hodgson
7. Michael Hooper (c) 7. David Pocock (c)
8. Wycliff Palu 8. S. Higginbotham
9. Nic White 9. Will Genia
10. Kurtley Beale 10. Quade Cooper
11. Rob Horne 11. Henry Speight
12. Matt To'omua 12. Cristian Lealiafano
13. A. Ashley-Cooper 13. Tevita Kurindrani
14. Pat McCabe 14. Joe Tomane
15. Israel Folau 15. James O'Connor

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Just for shits-n-giggles...who would you put your money on?​
Wallabies Rehab & Rejects​