• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australia v New Zealand - Sydney 16 Aug

Status
Not open for further replies.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
This is what I have an issue with, this “additional x-factor” stuff.

You see, I don't think the AB's beat us so consistently beat us by having
“additional x-factor” they do it through their attention to detail and the whole team doing the 1% stuff for 80 minutes.

Yet, we keep going back to flawed, but brilliant units to turn a game.

Yeah, I rate Foley, he just doesn't make bad decisions, he does those 1%'ers and he doesn't throw the ball to someone in a worse position than himself.

Beale & Folau you would say are x factor but Folau is super safe so does that still rate as x factor or just plain brilliant?
If you look at the team across the board it's basically really solid workers apart from Beale.
These players to me are why I think we'll win on saturday.
Horne, McCabe, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Carter & Fardy the unsung heroes of the side who'll get through a mountain of work these players remind of the 99-01 team, hard no frills stuff.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think Higgers will get the nod over McCalman purely for his Lineout ability (carry Skelton)& previous years of playing with James Hanson.

Who will be goal kicking?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
As with most tests, the forwards are most likely to decide this one.

For the Wallabies to have a chance, our forwards have to muscle up and be competitive. Whilst our set piece has to give us a reasonable share of the ball, our forwards have to compete in the contact area and get us over the advantage line. Last year we didn't do this reasonably until the third Bledisloe.

People have generally lauded McKenzie's selection decisions since he took over because he has picked on form significantly more than previous coaches (and not just Deans). On that basis it's also hard to argue with Beale and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s selections. The good thing for the Wallabies is that the two players relegated to the bench were also in fine form.

Foley was decent during the French series but he wasn't a great creator for the backline. Likewise at the Tahs, Beale has been the player most instrumental in driving the attack and making the key attacking decisions. It's not that Foley wasn't also involved, it's just that Beale did it more and did it better.

I think McKenzie has sized up his options and decided that taking the conservative approach into the first Bledisloe might not be his best chance to win the game. As Morlock said yesterday, you don't win Bledisloe tests just by playing well. You've got to be even better than that. I think McKenzie doesn't want to get to 9:30pm on Saturday night and be thinking that whilst Foley and Kuridrani didn't deserve to be dropped to the bench, the rugby he's been witnessing in the last couple of months gave him every indication that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), one of his key players, was in the form of his life at 13 and Beale was the one creating the bulk of the opportunities for the Super Rugby winning Waratahs.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Link has a very serious win/loss record against the Kiwi Super 15 sides with the Reds.
I'm backing him with these selections. He knows that he has to choose what he believes are his best options with the cattle he's got.
Interesting that he's got one extra on the bench though.
Either someone has a niggle, or more likely (IMHO) that he can't decide between Higgers and McCalman

Interesting take emu, however I'm not sure how that is relevant given that the way the ABs attack and defend is quite different to the way the NZ Super franchises play, even a couple of years ago.

And with naming an extra person on the bench, hasn't Australia been doing that for quite a few years now? I certainly remember the "23. P Waugh" appearing in years past. Someone with a better memory than me might be able to clarify.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
This is what I have an issue with, this “additional x-factor” stuff.

You see, I don't think the AB's beat us so consistently beat us by having
“additional x-factor” they do it through their attention to detail and the whole team doing the 1% stuff for 80 minutes.

Yet, we keep going back to flawed, but brilliant units to turn a game.

Yeah, I rate Foley, he just doesn't make bad decisions, he does those 1%'ers and he doesn't throw the ball to someone in a worse position than himself.

I also don't like the term x-factor. It seems that every man and his dog uses it.

If McKenzie had instead said "I think Beale provides more attacking opportunities" I don't think anyone could have argued with it and it really means pretty much the same thing.

The All Blacks will have Cruden at 10 who screams x-factor if you want to use that word again. He takes a lot of risks particularly around taking the ball to the line and offloading.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Love Ashley-Cooper at 13 but my initial reaction to Beale at 10 was an uneasy one.
Firstly, I don't like Beale as a 10 and secondly, the goal kicker is the first picked player in each team and we don't have a noted kicker. That's not good.

Taking some positives though, with the same available cattle, deans would've gone conservative in an effort not to lose. At least Beale at 10 is a clear signal from Link that he is in this to win it.
Time to just get behind the boys and cheer them home.

Wallabies by 8.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
If you really think that's why he was selected there in a game that may well decide our chances of both the Bledisloe and the RC this weekend, you probably think it was the CIA on the grassy knol and Harold Holt was picked up by a Russian submarine.

Wait, are you saying they weren't and he wasn't? Crazy talk.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
Love Ashley-Cooper at 13 but my initial reaction to Beale at 10 was an uneasy one.
Firstly, I don't like Beale as a 10 and secondly, the goal kicker is the first picked player in each team and we don't have a noted kicker. That's not good.

Taking some positives though, with the same available cattle, deans would've gone conservative in an effort not to lose. At least Beale at 10 is a clear signal from Link that he is in this to win it.
Time to just get behind the boys and cheer them home.

Wallabies by 8.

agreed on the uneasiness about goal kicking duties, we will need to grind out every single point.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
I didn't read all the posts since midday, but can any of McCabe, Horne or Izzy kick, to me the wingers suggest that Beale will be dropping out of the defensive line and if there is a quick turn over To'omua will slot into first receiver.

It will be interesting to me to see the following, who kicks at goal, and who kicks for touch.. My selection would be White for both, but in the French series, To'omua kicked for touch, and Foley at goal.

Congrads to Charles for the debut Im sure he will rip in :)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
My guess is To'omua will take kicks for touch and will generally take clearing kicks when possible from inside our 22.

The point about our wingers not really kicking could indicate that Beale spends more time back there in defence than they do to provide an extra kicker and support for Folau.

Really not sure whether White or Beale will take the shots at goal.

T

Train Without a Station

Most 10's drop back in defence to kick and counter attack anyway so it wouldn't be odd or a tactic unique to Beale's selection there.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
we have White & Beale out there, have faith..

i take your point and i'm slowly summoning the faith but there's a couple of hurdles on the road to the bled:

1. beale hasn't played a pure 10 role in awhile
2. he still has a tendency to crab (even though its been getting better)
3. imo he's looked better outside with more space than in the 10 channel in the tahs line
4. his comments about moving afield if he didnt get the starting role
5. aussie kicking percentages haven't been that great this year - we still need to develop this to >90%

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
I think To'omua is the perfect foil for a creative attacking 10 and that has probably got Beale the nod. Just a calm head who does everything seriously well, but probably not as creative as your Beales/Coopers. Foley's still a great player but probably plays the same type of role as To'omua plays, just not as physical.​
Link's moved AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to 13 which is probably good and then he gets to check out who's the best winger to partner Speight when his available..​
I know players should earn there cspot but 10 out of 10 I would pick Speight before any of our other wingers..​

Status
Not open for further replies.