• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Aussie Player Exodus

Marce

John Hipwell (52)
It doesn’t matter who it is
In 2012 the nrl and super rugby has the same salary cap of $4m
Super rugby is now $5m and nrl is $12 heading towards $15m quickly
Average nrl player can get $500k or more now so why would you knock back $800k from the titans who get more to their games then any super right side to stick around for $200k + potential wallaby payments by a sport who put you down in the national jersey and a club rugby side that couldn’t pay you and went broke?
titans are more well known then reds and tahs players now too
You are a bit out of date. The days when Rugby Union used to compete against League in Australia are gone. Now it's a fight for survival

I'm a NRL follower and I don't care about Titans. They are the Wests Tigers of QLD. Even Dolphins and Cowboys are more relevant than them.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
Titans have a strong local following, decent home crowds for a cellar dweller (more than the average Reds crowd as mentioned) and a number of blokes who are there or thereabouts every year for the all mighty Maroons. There are worse places to get paid to play footy.

Oh and you’re living on the Gold Coast, where 90% of the Rebels players spent their Christmas holiday last year.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Titans have a strong local following, decent home crowds for a cellar dweller (more than the average Reds crowd as mentioned) and a number of blokes who are there or thereabouts every year for the all mighty Maroons. There are worse places to get paid to play footy.

Oh and you’re living on the Gold Coast, where 90% of the Rebels players spent their Christmas holiday last year.
The Suns being on the rise will steal some of their limelight. I’d tip them to be the first GC side to win a comp

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
The Suns being on the rise will steal some of their limelight. I’d tip them to be the first GC side to win a comp

Yeah Carter Gordon won’t turn them into premiership favourites in 2025 but another key forward and a full squad fitness and they should go alright.

Agree Suns seem to have their shit together now.

Marce

John Hipwell (52)

Absolutely. I'd kill to play some footy for Wests Tigers and live in Sydney or to play for Western Force and live in Perth.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yeah Carter Gordon won’t turn them into premiership favourites in 2025 but another key forward and a full squad fitness and they should go alright.

Agree Suns seem to have their shit together now.
The Suns academy will set them up they have so much incredible talent coming through, all the Queenslanders support the Titans I’m sure but there is a massive expat Victorian population up there and their kids will be the ones carrying Aussie rules

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
I'm trying to keep the morale of the troops up. Suddenly Carter Gordon is everyone's favorite player

he was the face of a franchise that went belly up.

granted it was his decision to go in a new direction but it’s a real kick in the guts for the code who stated they’d try to accomodate the rebels cattle…

anyways - Eddie got his scapegoat for World Cup. Ppl like you saving clips like this and having a laugh.

im ready to move on but hate “the good riddance” approach to CG

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Don't think he's peoples favourites but losing a player is the topic of this thread so it's spoken of.

I tend to think so be it. We can't fight them for players if the player doesn't want to stay. It's also tricky as the Tahs might have been the only side with a potential vacant 10 jersey for next season but also don't want to overpay. Bowen's final game of the year being a good showing may have confused things ever so slightly.

But, CG must have wanted it as he's foregoing the potential of the Lions and very likely a home WC.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Gordon wanted Reds > League > Waratahs - but Reds couldn't/wouldn't take him so byebye. Shame.
I think the option of going home to Qld could have been quite high in his decision tree

Good luck to the guy, I hope he kills it, if he was driven by $$$ I am sure he could have had better options O/S playing rugby

and if it doesn't work out he can always come back, stronger and fitter

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
I think the option of going home to Qld could have been quite high in his decision tree

Good luck to the guy, I hope he kills it, if he was driven by $$$ I am sure he could have had better options O/S playing rugby

and if it doesn't work out he can always come back, stronger and fitter
and at least he would've worked on his kicking

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
You can't hide the reality. You have to face it and be brave

That's a sentiment incompatible with your earlier post.

"It's somewhat disappointing to lose him, but CG had deficiencies in his game that meant he was somewhere between not substantially ahead of other Stand off options and near unselectable in the Test arena, I'm ultimately not too sad about it" is a sentiment I may disagree with but I can understand the rationale behind and don't associate any ill will towards those who hold that opinion.

Dunking (particularly with the bitter undertones evident) on a player who has arguably had the most chaotic first 5 years in professional rugby possible and decided to value a little stability over the short term over relocating his life one way or another says a lot about you as an individual.