• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Aussie Player Exodus

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
Another gone:

Reds pathway product Hopo Leota (Reds u19s as a 17yo, Aus 18s prop) signed with Racing 92. Hasn't even finished high school yet.

I'm optimistic about this though. With the reputation the top14 has for developing monster forwards, I hope he comes home one day bigger and better for it (provided there is a home to come back to of course).
Glad your optimistic. I expect him to turn out for Les Bleus as soon as able if he's any good.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
I'd love to know the ins and outs of the deal though. NFL contracts are pretty notorius for reading like one amount but the guaranteed money can be a fraction of it. Heavily incentive based unlike the NBA, MLB etc.

From what I can see quickly his salary can be $950k/year but his guaranteed salary is 250k/year and he got a 20k signing bonus.

950k x 3 = 2.85M but he's only guaranteed 750k over 3 years.

NFL Practice Squad salaries range from 200k-380k so it may seem they are planning for this.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I mean... who has actually made such a move work? Valetine Holmes is far more talented and athletic than Jordie IMO and he couldn't make it stick.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd love to know the ins and outs of the deal though. NFL contracts are pretty notorius for reading like one amount but the guaranteed money can be a fraction of it. Heavily incentive based unlike the NBA, MLB etc.

From what I can see quickly his salary can be $950k/year but his guaranteed salary is 250k/year and he got a 20k signing bonus.

950k x 3 = 2.85M but he's only guaranteed 750k over 3 years.

NFL Practice Squad salaries range from 200k-380k so it may seem they are planning for this.

The international pathway program players are allocated an additional spot on the practice squad and once on the practice squad can't be signed by another team (unlike other practice squad players).

Given that there doesn't seem to be much likelihood that LRZ won't see out his contract and get paid that. The money is pretty much irrelevant to an NFL team so they may as well have him versus cutting him and saving the money.

The salary cap impact is negligible.

Christian Wade made US$950k with the Buffalo Bills across three seasons and was never going to do anything apart from playing some preseason snaps and being on the practice squad.

It's likely a pretty good option for any rugby player that can get there even if it is of "no value" in terms of them doing something worthwhile from a football career perspective.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I mean... who has actually made such a move work? Valetine Holmes is far more talented and athletic than Jordie IMO and he couldn't make it stick.

Holmes took a pay cut to go to the NFL and I think wanted out after preseason. If he'd wanted to stick there on the practice squad I think he could have.

The finances have definitely made it more appealing in the three years since.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The international pathway program players are allocated an additional spot on the practice squad and once on the practice squad can't be signed by another team (unlike other practice squad players).

Given that there doesn't seem to be much likelihood that LRZ won't see out his contract and get paid that. The money is pretty much irrelevant to an NFL team so they may as well have him versus cutting him and saving the money.

The salary cap impact is negligible.

Christian Wade made US$950k with the Buffalo Bills across three seasons and was never going to do anything apart from playing some preseason snaps and being on the practice squad.

It's likely a pretty good option for any rugby player that can get there even if it is of "no value" in terms of them doing something worthwhile from a football career perspective.
Seems like a move you'd make towards the end of your career to pad out a retirement fund... not entering your peak?

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
I get the feeling Holmes wanted to get back to QLD eventually so doing it was a novelty to get some cash and the Sharks release him.

The money they earn though is probably equal to what Jordy could get overseas playing Rugby though? Young enough to come back I guess.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
Seems like a move you'd make towards the end of your career to pad out a retirement fund... not entering your peak?
You don't get an offer if you are at the end of your career. There's only a dozen running backs in the league over 30. It;s a young man's game

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
Maybe playing in the States is more enticing than France/Japan for the lad.
Probably a big part of it tbh. I don't get or many over 30 will. Social media age of sports, fashion and lifestyle seems to be pretty heavily emulated by Aussie athletes.

Jordy is definitely a great athlete and suits Rugby but would he fit what they want? He wouldn't be faster, jump higher than any mid tier college receiver or kick returner. They don't really care that you can kick and pass.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I think the NFL is also hugely popular among a lot of these guys and they would genuinely see these guys as idols versus peers so I think the chance to try and compete there and see how good they actually are is pretty enticing.

LevitatingSocks

Bill Watson (15)
It's all fun and games until you've gone from Brisbane to Green Bay, Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo, or Kansas City. Horrible weather and quality of life in those places and he won't gain any celebrity status from being a practice squad or marginal roster body either.

If the compensation is roughly equivalent you'd be mad to roll the dice and pick NFL over French or Japanese rugby.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
I think the NFL is also hugely popular among a lot of these guys and they would genuinely see these guys as idols versus peers so I think the chance to try and compete there and see how good they actually are is pretty enticing.
The Superbowl has better ratings in Australia than almost every Wallaby test these days, and NFL is only getting more and more popular here as access to it improves

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I have seen worse articles

Asked if he was alarmed about Gordon quitting rugby to join rugby league, Waugh said: “My comments are still the same as what I have made before, in that we need to create the right culture and environment where people are desperate to be a part of it.”

So far the talk looks right

“I still have exactly the same view, in the fact you have to win the next Test match and you pick the best team you possibly can to win the next Test match,” Waugh said.

“Joe and I have been very clear on that. His selection is made on players he thinks will win the next Test match, not necessarily where they are committed to in years ahead.

“Joe is going to pick players for the best possible Wallabies XV, and 23. How you perform is what determines selection. It is not going to be a situation of, ‘Once you are going somewhere else, you are wiped’.”

It is not unreasonable to use your current roster

Waugh said RA’s offer to Gordon was “very fair, and he had the opportunity to earn significant income”, but was in line with his determination to be financially disciplined.

RA were keen for Gordon to join the Waratahs as part of the post-Rebels distribution, but the RA-owned franchise is still in the process of recruiting a head coach and director of rugby.

Waugh conceded the uncertainty was a factor for Gordon.

“It is difficult to sell that dream when there is no-one there, and without that certainty,” the RA chief executive said.

The Tahs should have had the next coach in the wings ready to be announced, they knew Coleman was gone in about March

Listening to podcasts on the best run Premier Leagues sides, their scouts and management have preferred options listed out and in the wings before they sack someone, the shittier the side the less forward planning in place and end up in Limbo or with caretakers

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
The Superbowl has better ratings in Australia than almost every Wallaby test these days, and NFL is only getting more and more popular here as access to it improves
Comparing the Super Bowl to a run-of-the-mill Wallabies test isn't really an apples-to-apples comparison though

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
It's all fun and games until you've gone from Brisbane to Green Bay, Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo, or Kansas City. Horrible weather and quality of life in those places and he won't gain any celebrity status from being a practice squad or marginal roster body either.

If the compensation is roughly equivalent you'd be mad to roll the dice and pick NFL over French or Japanese rugby.

I am curious, have you lived in all those places and can attest to the horrible quality of life?

For a lot of people (sports stars or regular joes) who haven't lived anywhere but Australia, the journey and experience in any American city or town would be very interesting.

I have been lucky enough to experience living in a number of those horrible places you mention and the sporting fan bases and communities are very special. Not everyone needs to be living in the French countryside to enjoy life.