• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Aus vs NZ - 1st Test Sydney 17Aug2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
Maybe swap Kepu & Slipper as well as JOC (James O'Connor) and Folau and you've got a slick looking team

Maybe Link will go Slipper as he's shown he favours Reds players already but Kepu is the right choice to start at tighthead. Does swapping Folau and JOC (James O'Connor) even make a difference?

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
We have got to get the All Blacks to commit numbers to the breakdown. They always do a great job at avoiding this and allow Reid and McCaw to roam wider in both attack and defense. It is how they are able to put opposition under so much pressure.

We need to man up physically and I think we can but we need unpick them smartly. I think you will see lots of pick and drive and around the corner play. Classic Link at the Reds style. We have to be patient.

M

Muttonbird

I've watched the ABs a bit and through a lot of changes in rules. I've always been most uneasy when opposition teams target the fringes in defence. You can call in the All Black forwards who are defending wide quite quickly if you hammer the half-back a few times early.

C

crazycrusader

Fan of both QC (Quade Cooper) and To'omua - and think Link knows its horses for courses.. Id let the kiwis think it was QC (Quade Cooper) playing 10 to switch it up @ last minute and start To'omua.. keep them guessing.

Best way to beat the kiwis is using unpredictability - that's why French always seem to go good against them and WHY deans failure so miserably.

Also - anyone got a good answer WHY the kiwis don't play a State of Island type comp.? Be a great spectacle to see Nth v Sth putting it on the line full of pride and passion.. kiwis why not ??

we did for while back in the 80s and 90's sometimes they were used as all black trials

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Geez Crazy,it was well before 80s and 90s, back in 60s and 70s (I know I know I an old prick) the North/South game was absolutely huge, every bit as important to kiwi rugby crowds than the SOO ever became here. North were quite often stronger, and if I remember correctly always wore black and South in white. Hell brings tears to eyes just remembering it!!!!

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
We have got to get the All Blacks to commit numbers to the breakdown. They always do a great job at avoiding this and allow Reid and McCaw to roam wider in both attack and defense. It is how they are able to put opposition under so much pressure.

We need to man up physically and I think we can but we need unpick them smartly. I think you will see lots of pick and drive and around the corner play. Classic Link at the Reds style. We have to be patient.
Our best chance will be to get in behind them

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Committing opposition numbers to defensive rucks is key, totally agree with that. Here's what I'd like to see (you could call it my attacking manifesto):

1, Rock solid set piece ball (scrums, lineouts and restarts), laying the foundation for the pill to get to the halves cleanly and swiftly

2, Running set moves on each 1st phase play. They aren't going to work every time, but it's the best opportunity an attacking team gets without fifteen defenders spread out across the field. We should be at all times asking questions of the defence. Force them into mistakes.

3, On every phase, bodies hitting the advantage line at pace with runners in support (preferably on either side of the ball carrier). No one-out stuff, no static pods. If the play is too static I'd rather we kick for field position and start again. One of the keys to winning rugby games is to create opportunities for offloading in contact and/or drawing the defender and passing. I don't believe Wallaby teams do that enough these days.

4, At the breakdown we must have robust clean out and if the opportunity presents itself, some swift pick and drive around the fringes to suck in opposition defenders. But above all else, the ball must emerge from the ruck area rapidly and ready for the next phase. No meerkatting from the half back waiting for those around him to get organised.

5, Once we've got some solid go forward, use the entire width of the field and get the ball in the hands of the major attacking threats. That means the speed demons on the wings and putting them in a position to score.

Sounds easy I know, but I want the Wallabies to show some real attacking intent and make the opposition commit. It's like a bowler in cricket making the batsman play at every ball. They will eventually make a mistake if you're accurate and patient.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Maybe Link will go Slipper as he's shown he favours Reds players already.....

Has he? I know the selection of Harris is dubious but there may be other reasons for that. But other than him, what favouritism has he shown toward Reds players?

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Yeah, he is going with people he knows with all the time he has to prepare for the All Blacks. Don't think Cheiks was interested in taking the attacking coach role anyway.

Not all of these selections fit cleanly under that umbrella though.

What healthy Aussie 8 would you choose over Schatz? What healthy hooker/prop bench option over Anae?

CFS and Harris won't likely make it out of camp unless there is a string of injuries. Even then who would you name over CFS? Harris?

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
so what happened to it?
Basically Terry, professional rugby came along. But I also think North/South was big when we had 4 or 5 tests a year, and before NPC rugby as a comp,that started in 76, which all sqeezed it out basically.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Yes.

-Chris Feauai-Sautia
-Mike Harris
-Jake Schatz
-Albert Anae
-Jim McKay

I'm not trying to stir things, it's just the way it is, completely expected and understandable seeing as he was the Reds coach and is most familiar with those players.

I take your point but apart from Harris, I don't think any of those other guys don't deserve their time in the Wallabies camp. He picked a few bolters and not only from the Reds as it was a big squad. You may be right with the favouritism claim or it may be that it's not quite the right word but the first one that comes to mind?
If it is favouritism, I would be seriously surprised if it extended to selections in a match day 23.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Yes.

-Chris Feauai-Sautia
-Mike Harris
-Jake Schatz
-Albert Anae
-Jim McKay

I'm not trying to stir things, it's just the way it is, completely expected and understandable seeing as he was the Reds coach and is most familiar with those players.

If Jim McKay plays, the issue of bias will be unavoidable.

Maybe if you squint Harris looks and plays like Carter (I'm not suggesting anywhere near as well) and Anae looks and plays like a Franks, so they're useful in opposed training.

A 40 man squad is pretty big and I doubt anyone would be surprised to see CFS and Schatz on the EOY tour. I look forward to the revised squad later today.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Anae is the closest we have to matching TPN, maybe that is why he was his replacement. (Strong in scrums and hard runner).

He is definitely one for the near future.

A Sio/Anae/Kepu front row might do some damage at scrum time!

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Scotty - Albert is a long way from the speed that TPN has - but he is a tough feloow who won't shirk the tough stuff - biggest problem for Albert to get over is his "motor" - has trouble performing for more than 20 or 30 - hopefully that will change now he has a tastte

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
A 40 man squad is pretty big and I doubt anyone would be surprised to see CFS and Schatz on the EOY tour. I look forward to the revised squad later today.

CFS, maybe we are really struggling for decent wingers if Betham and CFS are near a test spot

Schatz? well with Palu, Higgers and Mowen are all well ahead of him it will depend on who is healthy. Palu said on the Rugby Club he is a 4-6 weeks away

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
CFS has always generally been seen as a long term 13 prospect. So in that respect, getting him and Kuirindrani (spelling??) into the program and giving them the exposure makes sense. Also I think vidiot is correct when he says that many would be surprised to see CFS included for the EOYT. They are in a 40 man squad; they are still some distance from a 23 man squad though.

Schatz makes sense because, well, as you said, Palu and Higgers aren't healthy. Palu may be 4-6 weeks away but how long he can stay healthy has always been the problem with him. When healthy you include him but when he's not then you have to look at other guys. Schatz is probably worth a look. Maybe he'll do well and maybe he won't but the point is that in a 40 man squad, you are going to pull in some guys that aren't ready for a test spot just to see how they handle the program and to give them that exposure.

Status
Not open for further replies.