• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Aus vs NZ - 1st Test Sydney 17Aug2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
Here's a proposition
I would like to know, from any passionate, one eyed, black to the bone (but able to display some objectivity for the purposes of discussion) Kiwi rugby fan the following
- Knowing a reasonably likely All Black XV (give or take a few positions) for the test vs the wallabies, how would you hypothetically select the Wallaby XV? What selections would you make in order to beat your own beloved team?

Perhaps a difficult question, but if you're a Kiwi hanging around here you probably have an idea of our answer if the question was reversed. I could go to a kiwi forum and ask, but I fell like it is unlikely that I would get a sensible response. Try to keep responses somewhat serious (unless you're an exceptionally funny person), I reckon it would be a fascinating discussion (might give insight into the differences between the way each countries fans think about the game)

Robinson
Moore
(Who is the shortest THP? We'll probably start Crockett, and he's a big lanky bastard for these new laws)
Horwill
Douglas (we'll pick Romano to stay out in the midfield again, so we could be vulnerable to big body shifters)
Kimlin (see above)
Gill (strong on the ball against an unfit richie, could be dominant)
Mowen
Genia
Cooper (ewen factor - and beats kiwi teams a lot)
Folau
Lilo
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
JOC (James O'Connor) (might be a dick, but mckenzie seems able to handle that, and he's played well against us)
Mogg

Small backline, but you're always going to come 2nd in that against nonu, and I think our old man 10-12-13 combo (with a slow non match fit 7) could struggle against outright speed.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
I think Cummins has to be on one wing. Wile it's true he has been injured this year, all of his games when he was fit were good. His special skill isn't something you can loose being injured. Heart and guts.

For the other two spots in the back 3 I would love to see Mogg and Folau start. I know they are relatively inexperienced, but while the expectation on Link is less he should take the oppourtunity to blood some players. Because Cummins doesn't kick, I think Mogg would have to go to 15. It would be a bit messy to put the pressure onto Folau to kick from 15 in a test.

I just don't get the whole relatively inexperienced thing. Either the bloke is up to playing Test match footy or he is not.

If he is up to it then by all means start him against the best in the business, the Darkness at Eden Park, the Saffers on the high veldt, the B&I Lions. How many of our debutants have suffered jitters in their first Test?

If they are not up to Test match standard, then playing them off the bench against Namibia is hardly going to prepare them for a Test at altitude against the Bokke.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I just don't get the whole relatively inexperienced thing. Either the bloke is up to playing Test match footy or he is not.

If he is up to it then by all means start him against the best in the business, the Darkness at Eden Park, the Saffers on the high veldt, the B&I Lions. How many of our debutants have suffered jitters in their first Test?

If they are not up to Test match standard, then playing them off the bench against Namibia is hardly going to prepare them for a Test at altitude against the Bokke.

Yep. There's a new argument in the land about not starting new players against the Lions / against the AIGs / against the Boks. This has never been the case in the past. Play the best team in every game.

C

crazycrusader

Robinson
Moore
(Who is the shortest THP? We'll probably start Crockett, and he's a big lanky bastard for these new laws)
Horwill
Douglas (we'll pick Romano to stay out in the midfield again, so we could be vulnerable to big body shifters)
Kimlin (see above)
Gill (strong on the ball against an unfit richie, could be dominant)
Mowen
Genia
Cooper (ewen factor - and beats kiwi teams a lot)
Folau
Lilo
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
JOC (James O'Connor) (might be a dick, but mckenzie seems able to handle that, and he's played well against us)
Mogg

Small backline, but you're always going to come 2nd in that against nonu, and I think our old man 10-12-13 combo (with a slow non match fit 7) could struggle against outright speed.

id probably have cummins for JOC (James O'Connor) but solid looking team

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Backrow is an issue to me, we lack someone who can bend the line, we may have a set of workers instead

I also see lock as an issue, as in what role Horwill will play and whether Link wants grunt or mobility out of his locks.

As to fullback, it depends on how we want to play, run the ball back, you pick Folau, kick it back, Mogg is the clear option. Although we could end up with

1 Robbo
2 Moore
3 Slipper
4 Horwill
5 Pyle
6 Kimlin
7 Hooper - we need ball runners
8 Mowen

9 Genia
10 To'omua
11 JOC (James O'Connor)
12 Lilo
13 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14 Folau
15 Mogg

16 Nau
17 Sio
18 Kepu
19 Fardy
20 Gill
21 White
22 Cooper
23 Kuridrani

I picked props roughly the same size so we can have some balance

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Backrow is an issue to me, we lack someone who can bend the line, we may have a set of workers instead

I also see lock as an issue, as in what role Horwill will play and whether Link wants grunt or mobility out of his locks.

As to fullback, it depends on how we want to play, run the ball back, you pick Folau, kick it back, Mogg is the clear option. Although we could end up with

I picked props roughly the same size so we can have some balance

1 Robbo
2 Moore
3 Slipper
4 Horwill
5 Pyle
6 Kimlin
7 Hooper - we need ball runners
8 Mowen

9 Genia
10 To'omua
11 JOC (James O'Connor)
12 Lilo
13 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14 Folau
15 Mogg

16 Nau
17 Sio
18 Kepu
19 Fardy
20 White
21 Cooper
22 Kuridrani

I wouldn't be unhappy with that team. Add Gill to the bench to make up 23 and you're good to go!

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
I'm really interested to see how the new scrum laws are going to work in the first test, was reading one scrum coach in NZ saying it goingto really expose a lot of tighthead props, reckons they have covered a lot of deficiencies with the hit!! Also says the ball will probably be in scrum a touch longer.
I want to know how 9s are going to be retrained to put ball in straight, but....

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
If this is true, can you name someone who played better at 15 in the second half of the Super season? Mogg was impressive in the first half but went off the boil in the second. JOC (James O'Connor) was very variable, Beale and Coleman are injured, who else? I watched Folau closely this year and he has some good 15 qualities:
  • His run return is sensational.
  • His out-of-hand kicking is very good and quite long. He didn't do it much due to the Tahs gameplan but when he did it he was reliable and long.
  • His catching safety under the high ball is unmatched anywhere.
  • His ability to chime into the backline and make metres is sensational.
  • His defensive positioning and tackling is very reliable.
What more do you want from a fullback?

I like to select two fullbacks and a crashballer/elusive runner for the outside backs. For this reason I'd have Mogg and Cummins as wingers with Folau at 15. Moggs running doesn't get much scope at the Brumbies because they kick when they are in their own half, but he has shown glimpses of pace and elusiveness that in my mind make him a prime wing candidate.
Link comes from the same culture as Cheika, so I predict we might see a 15 who runs it back a lot, whereas Deans was more culturally aligned to White in having a more conservative approach. Jim McKay has the same cultural heritage as Link too.

My guess is that if an AB fan says one thing, we should do the opposite; ie play Izzy at 15 and perhaps not play Quade at all?

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I'm really interested to see how the new scrum laws are going to work in the first test, was reading one scrum coach in NZ saying it goingto really expose a lot of tighthead props, reckons they have covered a lot of deficiencies with the hit!! Also says the ball will probably be in scrum a touch longer.
I want to know how 9s are going to be retrained to put ball in straight, but..

mate all nines are cheats so good luck

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
In the olden days, the 9 used to put the ball in when the hooker released his bind on the LH and tapped.

It allowed for wonderful timing for the Hooker's one foot strike

racktifier

Frank Row (1)
First post, hi everyone!

I was hoping to travel (from Singapore) to Sydney for the game. However, getting tickets is looking a bit tricky.

I am thinking of buying off viagogo or ebay. Does anyone know if there's a risk that the tickets could be cancelled and/or I could be refused entry due to anti-scalping policies?

Although tickets are still available on Ticketek, they only sell to Australian residents so that's not an option for me.

emuarse

Chilla Wilson (44)
Ok lads, let's put the brakes on this little ethnic sub-thread.

It's a very slippery slope and while there might not be any intent to cause offense, that doesn't mean you won't.

Zero tolerance here lads. Another post in this direction and you will be zapped.

Moving on, with immediate effect, please.

Oh, I get goose bumps all over when Daz talks dirty like that.

D

daz

First post, hi everyone!

I was hoping to travel (from Singapore) to Sydney for the game. However, getting tickets is looking a bit tricky.

I am thinking of buying off viagogo or ebay. Does anyone know if there's a risk that the tickets could be cancelled and/or I could be refused entry due to anti-scalping policies?

Although tickets are still available on Ticketek, they only sell to Australian residents so that's not an option for me.

Hi racktifier, and welcome!

In regards your little problem, do you have a mate or family in Oz? Get them to buy it for you. Safest bet.

You might be ok with an ebay ticket, but you might not as well. Its a risk, I suppose.

You could buy a package deal from We Love Rugby, but that includes hotel, ticket, etc.

You could always just transfer the money to me and I'll buy the ticket for you. I'll make sure I send it on, really. Honestly.

;)

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
For the Wallabies to win this game, they need to be beyond fired up.

They need to be going absolutely crazy.

There needs to be a mood that the future of rugby is dependent on our ability to win the bledisloe, that we have the cattle, that all we need is the gameplan and the resolve.

That means off the kickoff, Mowen sprints off and absolutely ruins the All Black who takes the ball, slams him back and lets him know that anytime he runs at the Wallaby line he is mince meat.

That means our backs are slick, our ball is quick, Cooper has hard running options after fantastic service from Genia.

GO HARD!

racktifier

Frank Row (1)
Hi racktifier, and welcome!

In regards your little problem, do you have a mate or family in Oz? Get them to buy it for you. Safest bet.

Thanks Daz! No friends or family in Australia unfortunately. However, I'm trying to pull a favour with a friend of a friend who lives in Sydney so fingers crossed!

Status
Not open for further replies.