• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Aus vs NZ - 1st Test Sydney 17Aug2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
One tactic (admittedly a little risky). Quade Cooper cross-field bombing for Folau to take the high kick in goal vs Savea.

Play Sio for some of the game to see if can cut it

C

crazycrusader

Can we really expect too much from McKenzie for this test. He has 7 weeks in which to make any difference. That presumably includes having to set up a coaching team and administration and with 2 teams of players that wont' be available, hopefully, for a few weeks yet. Difficult to get the team playing a different "brand" of rugby in that time. Maybe some tweaks and initial moves, but you can't change a whole heap of playing structures that the players have been working on for the last 6 or 7 weeks overnight. Not unless you just pick the Reds team as a whole and I don't think he will do that.

apparently you guys over in oz think you are gonna get back the cup with pretty much the same players but different coaching staff, am i missing something here, you can only coach what you have, and thjis aussie team does not scare me, ps please play cooper we love it over here when he is in the team

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
folau should be a winger he is not experienced enough to play fullback

If this is true, can you name someone who played better at 15 in the second half of the Super season? Mogg was impressive in the first half but went off the boil in the second. JOC (James O'Connor) was very variable, Beale and Coleman are injured, who else? I watched Folau closely this year and he has some good 15 qualities:
  • His run return is sensational.
  • His out-of-hand kicking is very good and quite long. He didn't do it much due to the Tahs gameplan but when he did it he was reliable and long.
  • His catching safety under the high ball is unmatched anywhere.
  • His ability to chime into the backline and make metres is sensational.
  • His defensive positioning and tackling is very reliable.
What more do you want from a fullback?
I like to select two fullbacks and a crashballer/elusive runner for the outside backs. For this reason I'd have Mogg and Cummins as wingers with Folau at 15. Moggs running doesn't get much scope at the Brumbies because they kick when they are in their own half, but he has shown glimpses of pace and elusiveness that in my mind make him a prime wing candidate.
Link comes from the same culture as Cheika, so I predict we might see a 15 who runs it back a lot, whereas Deans was more culturally aligned to White in having a more conservative approach. Jim McKay has the same cultural heritage as Link too.

C

crazycrusader

if beale wasn't injured id pick him at 15 folau and cummins on the wings, id go with a natural 15 its too crucial a role to put someone there who has no experience there at international level,
who would you have other than folau at 15?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
if beale wasn't injured id pick him at 15 falau and cummings on the wings, id go with a natural 15 its too crucial a role to put someone there who has no experience there at international level, or did he play there against the lions i can't remember,he has 3 games even if he did who would you have other than falau at 15?

Their names are Folau and Cummins.

Neither Folau or Mogg have much experience at international level. Folau has 3 caps on the wing and Mogg has one.

Fullback is a crucial role however, by definition, you eventually have to put someone there with no international experience in that position. Surely a season as close to, if not the best fullback in Super Rugby is the best practice you can get to fill the role.

Right now I would put Folau at fullback for the Wallabies regardless of Beale being injured or not. Folau has just been in much better form in 2013 and hasn't been plagued by off field dramas.

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
Regardless of what we do with the backline, cooper needs to stand flatter in attack, if he continues to get deeper and deeper to give himself time and space we will continue to be caught behind the advantage line. It will be interesting to see how he goes first game back.

C

crazycrusader

well i guess if you want to have a rookie fullback against the all blacks well good luck to you sir

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
A backline of
Genia To'omua Speight Lilo AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) Folau Mogg

Is my dream backline. Yes, full of Brumbies, but it isn't just my bias as reasoning! :p

Swap Mogg for Beale, and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is the only "white-fella" in the backline. Do all the young Anglo-Saxon aspiring Wallaby backs have to go OS? Will we become the "Wallaby All-Blacks"?
Nothing racist, it's just where we seem to be heading!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Swap Mogg for Beale, and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is the only "white-fella" in the backline. Do all the young Anglo-Saxon aspiring Wallaby backs have to go OS? Will we become the "Wallaby All-Blacks"?

Umm... they're not called the All Blacks because their players aren't white.

Every aspiring Wallaby back, regardless of ethnicity should just be striving to get better because that is what is needed if they want to go from aspiring to be a Wallaby to being a Wallaby.

C

crazycrusader

just saying it wasn't racist made it sound racist lol all link is doing is picking best available players i don't see how the color of the skin makes a difference anyway, its not white australia bro

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
apparently you guys over in oz think you are gonna get back the cup with pretty much the same players but different coaching staff, am i missing something here, you can only coach what you have, and thjis aussie team does not scare me, ps please play cooper we love it over here when he is in the team
I'm not sure there are too many bold predictions from over here that we'll take the Bledisloe. For starters, McKenzie has just taken the reins, his squad might be a little different to that which Deans may have chosen (so a bit untested in areas) and 2 of the 3 Bledisloe games are in New Zealand.
It would be a very bold Aussie rugby fan to predict a series win!
That said, I think there is more optimism with the new regime, so that's a plus. I think fans here expect a good showing.

C

crazycrusader

It would be a very bold Aussie rugby fan to predict a series win!
That said, I think there is more optimism with the new regime, so that's a plus. I think fans here expect a good showing.[/quote]

im hoping aussie sorts their @$%^ out and improves, there's nothing like a great test against us two, once oz gets the powerhouse forwards again oz will be a threat, you always had smooth backs just missing the ruthlessness and hardness in the forwards thats where the game is won

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

And......?

What exactly is your point Doug? Racial quotas to play for the Wallabies? Last I checked they are all Aussies.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
just saying it wasn't racist made it sound racist lol all link is doing is picking best available players i don't see how the color of the skin makes a difference anyway, its not white australia bro

Read the words again CC. It is a genuine concern in Rugby, plus every week listeners to "Talkin' Sport" on the Super Radio network (going to over 30 stations in NSW and SE QLD) ring in with their concerns about the proliferation of Pacific Islanders into Rugby League.
You may chose to ignore the facts, but you can't escape them.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

Not quite. I think most of us here reckon that the talent pool across Australia has the makings of a very good Wallaby team. What has been missing has been the right game plan and selection of players in their best positions. I seem to recall that with a small number of exceptions, both Dwyer (2nd time around) and MacQueen took under performing teams and set them on the right path. Why wouldn't a similarly credentialled coach in McKenzie be expected to do the same?

I don't think anyone is seriously contemplating wresting back the Bleddie simply because Link is coach and certainly not right away, but most think he will perform better as Wallaby coach. If he doesn't win the Bleddie within the next couple of seasons then I would imagine he'll lose his job.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Read the words again CC. It is a genuine concern in Rugby, plus every week listeners to "Talkin' Sport" on the Super Radio network (going to over 30 stations in NSW and SE QLD) ring in with their concerns about the proliferation of Pacific Islanders into Rugby League.

I'm still not sure what your point is or what you're trying to say.

Pacific Islanders are good at good at rugby league and rugby union?

Kids of Ango-Saxon heritage should stop playing on their Playstation and get out and train more?

A bunch of xenophobic racists listen to the Super Radio Network?

C

crazycrusader

so correct me if im wrong there is a debate going on about that to shock horror there is pacific islanders who want to play league, who do play league and union? Would Australia prefeer it to be only white players play in your league and union teams, alot of these brown boys being playing those said sports since they were teenagers in your country or you steal them from us (league) you called add a couple of kiwi union boys wink wink, heck those boys are contributing to your country some lavishly with taxes and such. I don't see what the big deal is, and it reeks of racism

Status
Not open for further replies.