• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Argentina v Australia TRC Round 4 Sunday 8 September 5am (AEST)

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Actually, that's a pretty good statement. In both countries Rugby Union is the second most popular sport. It's not the case for Australia
That would be because we have 4 football codes, those countries only have two.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Does that position actually hold once you apply scrutiny to the respective positions of those unions when they conceded those losses? Both England and SA have had much firmer foundations on which to rebuild/recover from IMO.

I don't agree with that. As KOB said, Safferland has been a basket case for a long time. The big loss against us was a big deal for English rugby at the time.

My point is that Australian rugby has seen worse times and recovered. The early to mid 1970's was a poor era and within a few years we'd significantly improved. We're better than we were this time last year. These results are going to happen from time to time and we have to commit to keep improving week by week.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
It depends how you want to scrutinise it. We have much smaller populations than both but our athletes are clearly superior, and South Africa was an economic basket case. We can make it happen if we want to.
Really? By what metric?

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Well, hopefully. Hopefully the Lions and RWC are the catalyst we need to turn it all around and we can find a way to stop bleeding money and talent.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
These results are going to happen from time to time and we have to commit to keep improving week by week.

Screenshot_20240908-220413~2.png

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Yeah it would definitely be easier to believe if we weren't relying on the same amateur development pathways to produce professional players.

Mr Pilfer

Dave Cowper (27)
Unfortunately we need to accept that we don’t have the talent to compete with these teams consistently. The only way you fix this is from the bottom up with developing better players for the long term, playing more rugby etc.

The time the wallabies are strongest is when we are challenging for super rugby titles, not just making up the numbers. I am a force fan but we had 4 starting players last night, that was always a worry.

Maybe getting rid of the rebels will help if it makes the other 4 teams stronger and can start building winning habits but doubt it.

noscrumnolife

Bill Watson (15)
I mean it was a complete disaster in the second half...but did it necessarily tell us anything we didn't already know about the Wallabies? They lack the depth to compete for 80 minutes consistently, week in, week out. This has been true for many years. Even if Aus Rugby rights the ship, it will remain true for the foreseeable future.

In this game, on a perfect dry track, made for scoring points, a hungry Pumas executed at an extremely high level and a young team lost their way. The scoreboard blew out. Its not the first time its happened in a game of rugby, and it won't be the last.

Maybe after it being like this for quite a long time now, I am relatively sanguine about these things...but I am just not there for all the doom and gloom. It was crap, it will take a long time to change, and there are things you can choose to feel positive about if you want. For example, I thought the first 30 minutes was, ironically, the best we've looked all year. It was quick, fast, aggressive and intelligent. Unfortunately, there are two teams in a game and the other one in this one was experienced, resilient and stayed in the contest.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
mcreight is a decent 7 but imo not world class...
I freely admit that McReight is one of may favourite players so I will no doubt be biased but what is your definition of being world class? Surely being good enough to be a standout player at test level against the best teams in the world while playing for a second rate team should make you world class? What exactly would he have to do to be world class?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I think there are some blokes who are on the cusp of being there or thereabouts, but probably nobody properly in the conversation right now.

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
But tight 5 guys have far less appeal to league. I don’t really understand why we haven’t been able to maintain a good pipeline of talent. I know some go OS, but still.

The only think I can put it down to is that a lot of them take longer to develop and we don’t have the funds to make it worthwhile staying in the game while they build up to pro level.
Also the day they come home from school and say "Mum I've decided to play rugby and they want me to play prop" that is where the problem starts. Then the rest you suggest comes into play. Props need to be ID'd early and then play some Shute Shield or equivalent for a few seasons before they step up.

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
Scmidt was explaining why he made some changes at 35mins and he stated that he knew Tupou and some of the others would be gassed at that time. Gassed after 35 bloody mins on a hard track on a warm day (sounds ideal for us) and then the bench is too weak to hold them.

Not the end of the world but on what planet can a pro footballer only last 35 mins?

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Big problem. Coach tells TT to let him know when he is ready to be pulled……30 mins…WTF? Yes it was warm and the game was fast paced, but Jesus, a pro player wanting to represent Australia should play through the first half and then empty the tank for 15-20min in the second after a break. If the coach decides to hook him before that for any reason then fair enough.
Attitude, attitude, attitude, or lack thereof.

Marce

John Hipwell (52)
...our athletes are clearly superior...
Really? By what metric?
Commonwealth results, Olympic Games results, number of sports where both countries are powerhouses. And you have AFL and NRL who are the best athletes in the country but don't play against foreign countries. In Aussie Rules this is 100% fact. In League only play against England, NZ and a handful of countries.

Australia is a powerhouse in cricket, field hockey, rugby league, women sevens, swimming, athletics, cycling, sailing, rowing, etc, etc meanwhile South Africa is a powerhouse in Rugby Union and that's all

Commonwealth results:

dSoJyJf.jpg

Olympic Games results:

dSoJmUG.jpg

dSoJbls.jpg

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
I mean it was a complete disaster in the second half...
I agree mate, it was disaster in 2nd half , but we all should take a breath, it was an aberration rather than the norm. The team will rightfully get a bit of kick in arse, but anyone here remember it was only 2017 that ABs beat Boks 57-0. I said the same thing then, it's not the norm! Hell they won WC 2 years later.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think that this has been the trend for the Wobblies over the last few years though.

So hard to get behind