• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Argentina v Australia TRC Round 4 Sunday 8 September 5am (AEST)

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
He is a 6.
McReight is pretty close and has an excellent attacking game to boot. Ardie Savea is Pocockesque.
Psdt? I thought he was wearing 6 which is technically their 7.

Ardie probably shows the most effort in the game tbh. would have to have the most post contact meters stat over other forwards.

drewprint

Alan Cameron (40)
OYxqOG.gif

"Saying what you need to do is easy: growing the game. The hard part is actually doing it."
--enraptured GAGR denizens gather at the feet of their wise sage Marce.

IMG_9968.gif

The insight, the clarity of thought, oh chosen one - thank you!

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
he legit beat South Africa single handed at the world cup. it was one of the best games if not the best I've ever seen from a 7
Not good enough to keep him in the 7 shirt as that was reserved for Hooper. A travesty along with how Pocock was not supported at the breakdown. Often he was there alone, gave me the shits..

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
Not even mediocrity. We just gave up 67 points to Argentina and we are talking about "small positives"

At least when Eddie was here there was genuine anger to piss poor performances
Recognising that we played ~30min of our most cohesive attacking rugby in some time followed by ~50min of an absolutely unmitigated disaster don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Tomthumb

Desmond Connor (43)
Recognising that we played ~30min of our most cohesive attacking rugby in some time followed by ~50min of an absolutely unmitigated disaster don't have to be mutually exclusive.
Argentina didn't show up for the first 30 lets be honest. As soon as they decided to play rugby the Wallabies fell into the fetal position

We should be up in arms over the gutless finish to the game, instead we are trying to act as if it's in any way normal to concede 4 tries in 10 minutes to Argentina

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I think the heat had a lot to do with it - given the 17 point lead I'd say the intent was to try to hold the lead with some fresh legs, not for it to go completely pear-shaped. The inexperience wasn't properly factored in.

Tomthumb

Desmond Connor (43)
I think the heat had a lot to do with it - given the 17 point lead I'd say the intent was to try to hold the lead with some fresh legs, not for it to go completely pear-shaped. The inexperience wasn't properly factored in.
I could be wrong, but weren't both teams playing in the same conditions?

If a bit of sunshine is an excuse for shipping 67 points we might as well just toss the sport in the bin

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I could be wrong, but weren't both teams playing in the same conditions?

If a bit of sunshine is an excuse for shipping 67 points we might as well just toss the sport in the bin
Yes, for sure I'm not defending it so much as just saying I think the erroneous decision making was a bit to do with the heat. I think Joe and co had probably thought they had seen enough in the first 30 minutes to have a bit of confidence that what they had been working on and training was paying dividends, and started to make some subs a bit bit early due to the hot conditions. So the heat led to the decisions, but the resulting inexperience was overlooked with said decisions. Just a theory. Based on injuries we already had 6 x B players in the starting lineup, and then the C graders came on.

Tomthumb

Desmond Connor (43)
Yes, for sure I'm not defending it so much as just saying I think the erroneous decision making was a bit to do with the heat. I think Joe and co had probably thought they had seen enough in the first 30 minutes to have a bit of confidence that what they had been working on and training was paying dividends, and started to make some subs a bit bit early due to the hot conditions. So the heat led to the decisions, but the resulting inexperience was overlooked with said decisions. Just a theory. Based on injuries we already had 6 x B players in the starting lineup, and then the C graders came on.
They quit in the last 10 minutes and that's what shits me the most. Inexperience isn't an excuse for that as far as I'm concerned, and people nonchalance toward it isn't good. We have been chocolate soldiers vs NZ for years, but that's the first time I've seen it against anyone else

Once you quit on a game once it becomes much easier to do it over and over again. Wouldn't be surprised if NZ posts a cricket score in Sydney, which sucks

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
They quit in the last 10 minutes and that's what shits me the most. Inexperience isn't an excuse for that as far as I'm concerned, and people nonchalance toward it isn't good. We have been chocolate soldiers vs NZ for years, but that's the first time I've seen it against anyone else

Once you quit on a game once it becomes much easier to do it over and over again. Wouldn't be surprised if NZ posts a cricket score in Sydney, which sucks
Yeah I agree, the '97 walloping in Pretoria was a turning point for our side back then, with any luck this is as well.

Tomthumb

Desmond Connor (43)
Yeah I agree, the '97 walloping in Pretoria was a turning point for our side back then, with any luck this is as well.
That team had Eales, Gregan, Larkham, Burke, Roff

And that team also beat South Africa during the same Tri Nations in 1997 too

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I'm not expecting them to reach those heights, but being competitive between now and the end of the year would be a good start. We did at least beat Argentina away on the same tour.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
I turned off the last 30 so didn't see Canham's debut. I assume it wasn't remarkable considering we conceded the most amount of points ever?

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
started to make some subs a bit bit early due to the hot conditions. So the heat led to the decisions, but the resulting inexperience was overlooked with said decisions. Just a theory.

It was like 28-26 degrees when they were playing. Considering the team was in Brisbane for the SA game and that all Australian super teams have pre-season in summer, I don't think this tempreture had an impact on decision making.

As long as they were getting enough water and good glycogen replacements, they would have been fine.

If you're concerned about the decision making being made after 30+ minutes then your touching on a fitness issue rather than a tempreture issue. The less fatigue you have, the quicker and better snap decisions you're able to make.

Given the recent history by coaches like Chieka and Rennie coming out and saying our players aren't fit enough, it is probably the more logical reason.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)

It was like 28-26 degrees when they were playing. Considering the team was in Brisbane for the SA game and that all Australian super teams have pre-season in summer, I don't think this tempreture had an impact on decision making.

As long as they were getting enough water and good glycogen replacements, they would have been fine.

If you're concerned about the decision making being made after 30+ minutes then your touching on a fitness issue rather than a tempreture issue. The less fatigue you have, the quicker and better snap decisions you're able to make.

Given the recent history by coaches like Chieka and Rennie coming out and saying our players aren't fit enough, it is probably the more logical reason.
I had given thought to that as well. Schmidt seems to be at almost opposite polarity when it comes to fitness, in particular gym work. I think he is more into pure aerobic fitness rather than things like carrying barge ropes around, and he is probably historically reliant on match fitness, something we are severely lacking compared with other top tier nations.

Last edited: