• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Argentina v Australia TRC Round 4 Sunday 8 September 5am (AEST)

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
BR I largely agree with you. I think AAA was battling in the scrums, but I agree it was Slipper who was giving away the penalties, and also agree that 30 minutes from TT just isn't enough, we have a right to expect more from a supposedly top level professional. I don't think any of our 10 options are good enough, I would probably stick with Donaldson purely on the basis he has the biggest boot.
While plenty of backs didn't stick their tackles, of far more concern was the lack of organistion in defence. Gleeson is a good example, he's working hard and made a couple of good hits, but doesn't seem to have any idea of where he should be. And I don't mean to victimise him, you just had 15 individuals, some of them trying very hard, without a semblance of organisation into any sort of team defensive structure.
Stewart, like Donaldson, may not be at this level, but right now we don't have a better option.
Hopefully Wright is fit for the next test, he could replace Kellaway at 15, who seems to be out of form, and while it's a bit left field, I would replace Marika with Pietsch, he would be quicker than Marika, and rarely misses a tackle. He's also a player who loves to get involved.

Goosestep

Jim Clark (26)
He was like 20 years ago, and he wasn’t the norm it’s not the culture of Australia rugby to have large packs

Linerunner2023

Watty Friend (18)
It’s amazing although De Villiers said we have no world class players we actually do it’s just the rest of the team is so far behind
There would not be many better LHPs in the world then Bell atm, he needs more time! And tupou would make about any scrum for any side! They both need more game time and it’s concerning how far slipper and AAA have fallen off with scrummaging - Kailea and maybe Robertson going forward?
Valetini is also a gem
And that’s about it but bell, tupou and Valetini carry the team every time
Unless we ever find a decent 9 and 10 we will never progress in the rankings

whitefalcon

Alex Ross (28)
As others have covered, a great first 30 and that's about it.

Once Argentina adapted to our defense we just couldn't adapt ourselves.

Slipper and Koriobete arent looking great but besides them i'd really like to see us resist the urge for mass changes. We need the team to have stability, its the only way they're going to learn.

I'd like to see Wright come back in and potentially us try another winger besides Kellaway, this year hasnt been his year.

Tomthumb

Desmond Connor (43)
He was like 20 years ago, and he wasn’t the norm it’s not the culture of Australia rugby to have large packs
Then maybe we should play to our strengths instead of trying to play the same way other teams do without the cattle to do it

Marce

John Hipwell (52)
The Wallabies played like a Shute Shield team in the second half. That's the point. Have a good day

Yoda

Alex Ross (28)
‘Hopefully Wright is fit for the next test, he could replace Kellaway at 15, who seems to be out of form’….. I thought Kellaway was our best back along with Donaldson…the first 30 minutes we were looking great… I’d have to watch the game again but there were a lot of poor defensive reads. It will be interesting to see what Joe does next Test but I’d be sticking with Donno at 10 … he needs a run of Tests in a row to assess truly…. Hamish at 12… Wright to come back but possibly at wing and leave Kellaway back there? Noah to bench as Lynagh still needs more rugby experience at Super level.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
The match sealing try at 55mins really highlights a couple of our big issues ATM.

After Aus gives up scrum penalties, Argentina repack, and then Lynagh and McDermott come on.

We absolutely can't afford to give up another penalty or it will be yellow, so our loosies have to stay on the scrum.

We line up Lynagh and Koro on the large blind, and then Stewart, Ikitau, Jorgensen and then Kellaway.

Argentina select their target and send 1.9m Cinti straight at Jorgensen with a cutout pass from the half. He actually does OK with a 1on1 against a bigger guy, but Cinti gets well over the ad line. They then come around the corner with 1.95m Matera who goes straight through Stewart.

Way too simple, and not much we can do about it with the players we have out there

capalaba

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Suggesting Bell is up there with the best LHP in th world and then suggesting Robertson as cover proves you don't know a lot about front row play.
Bell is good but not as good as you suggest and Robertson is not a LHP, he will get destroyed at International level.

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
The media love to see big props running and to some extent so do we the supporters. It's a problem that has been coming for a fair while and it revolves around our lack of knowledge about what strengths international props have these days.

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
Just watching Joe in the post match interview, he was blunt about how passive we became on the back of a poor forward effort in the second half.

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
Bell scrummages well enough and is excellent around the park. Robertson will be the prop equivalent of Hamish Stewart but as you state not at LHP.
I find it annoying that the press and many just refer to them as a prop which means you have to remember if they are loose or tight, I struggle at times to remember.