• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

ACT Brumbies v Western Force - The Elimination

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Not this year. The Blues in their heyday always liked to kick for field position mixed up with great running. Sort of like the Brumbies at their peak, before the poison of jakeball. The Blues at their best with King Carlos and the Brumbies with Gregan, Larkham and Roth seemed to be very similar in style.

The Waratahs this year are pure Randwick in style. They play a game that has its origins in the 1920's and before, but probably epitomised best with the great Cyril Towers, who spent his life teaching and promoting it after he retired from playing. Very few teams try to play it because its so hard to learn to play well, but once you "get" it, it is very hard to defend.

I think you interpreted it on a different level to me. I meant more along the lines of: Under performers who are hampered by really bad decision making from management. In the Waratah's case, at least some of that is starting to be undone.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The Waratahs this year are pure Randwick in style. They play a game that has its origins in the 1920's and before, but probably epitomised best with the great Cyril Towers, who spent his life teaching and promoting it after he retired from playing. Very few teams try to play it because its so hard to learn to play well, but once you "get" it, it is very hard to defend.

Yep and it's a beautiful thing. Even me as an anti-Tah for so many years in Super Rugby has to stand up and applaud the classic Galloping Greens footy they are playing this year. It's the quintessential Australian style that I grew up loving, so good on Cheika and his Randwick upbringing.

M

Moono75

Quite frankly I don't get this talk about honourable draws or loses where we obtain maximum bonus points so that perhaps both teams could make the finals. I want the Force to win full stop! I couldn't care less about whats good for the Brumbies.

Winning form going into the finals is paramount. We haven't played 18 rounds of rugby to get to the stage of....well if we lose by 6 but score 4 try's that would be OK. Control your own destiny first and foremost, kick the door down and step confidently into the finals series. Go Force!

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I want the Force to win, of course, but if there was a scenario where three Aussie teams made the finals then I'm all for it. They shouldn't playing with that as a goal, the objective should be to win and let the chips fall where they may.

M

Moono75

the objective should be to win and let the chips fall where they may.

Exactly......everything else is gravy.

Any word if Morahan is likely to come back into the squad? He would be good off the bench and ad a bit more potency to the attack.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Quite frankly I don't get this talk about honourable draws or loses where we obtain maximum bonus points so that perhaps both teams could make the finals. I want the Force to win full stop! I couldn't care less about whats good for the Brumbies.

Winning form going into the finals is paramount. We haven't played 18 rounds of rugby to get to the stage of..well if we lose by 6 but score 4 try's that would be OK. Control your own destiny first and foremost, kick the door down and step confidently into the finals series. Go Force!

Has it been repaired yet after Cheika's little incident?

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)

Winning form going into the finals is paramount. We haven't played 18 rounds of rugby to get to the stage of..well if we lose by 6 but score 4 try's that would be OK. Control your own destiny first and foremost, kick the door down and step confidently into the finals series. Go Force!

When you are gagging for it (finals, read also sex), you will take anything (win/draw/losing BP, read also fat chicks).

Either way, if we get it, we'll be talking it up for the next three weeks.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
You volunteering to get kneed on the ground by a 115kg human then?
I'm a big bloke. Have been kneed on the ground by big blokes. Unless he broke A tub there is no way u would act like that. Defiantly over sold it. Not saying it wouldn't of hurt but he defiantly sold the hell out of it. Was a silly move by mmm

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I'm a big bloke. Have been kneed on the ground by big blokes. Unless he broke A tub there is no way u would act like that. Defiantly over sold it. Not saying it wouldn't of hurt but he defiantly sold the hell out of it. Was a silly move by mmm

Then there's your problem - at 5'10" and 80kg Benny Lucas is about as far from being a big bloke as you can get.

At MMM's weight you'd expect at least 1,117 Newtons of Force (heheh) purely from him dropping his weight (so 9.8m/s^2 as the acceleration).

It's not enough to break Ribs 1-3 but could cause a crack in the lower ribs and would hurt like a bitch, especially when someone is literally jumping/blindsiding you as you lay on the ground. The sheer compression/decompression of his ribcage would have been incredibly unpleasant in and of itself - much less when you don't see it coming.

I can't remember exactly where MMM got him but if he hit him in the liver or the spleen that alone would be enough to make even the biggest of blokes writhe in pain for a bit.

It's one of the typical IRB judicial miracles that MMM avoided anything less than 3 weeks for this. It was deliberate, reckless and thuggish.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Agree USA

Personally I think deliberate fouls like that should be deserving of a minimum of 10 weeks or a full season. It was dangerous, calculated and deliberate.

It was not just a miscalulation or a mistake. It could have ended a career.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Agree USA

Personally I think deliberate fouls like that should be deserving of a minimum of 10 weeks or a full season. It was dangerous, calculated and deliberate.

It was not just a miscalulation or a mistake. It could have ended a career.

Couldn't agree more but I'm just provincially biased.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah and I'm tribal as well

BUT I don't give a rats whether the player is from my tribe or any OTHER tribe its only by the grace of God and good luck that a bloke wasn't potentially crippled etc by a delberate foul act. Think the current matter has been largely swept under the carpet.

I wonder what would have happened if Lucas was permanently fucked. The result shouldn't have a bearing on the penalty.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
It shouldn't but it often does. What has been largely swept under the rug is the hand in Ben's face after the knee. Considering the outrage when Ed O'Donohue stuck his hand in Higgers face (read: 'eye area'), I was surprised that no one mentioned this incident.

EDIT: Sorry my bad. I thought this chat was in the Force vs Reds game thread. Back to the Brumbies vs Force game chat folks.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
According to the Crimes Carter, To'omua and Mann-Rea will all start, while McCabe and Tomane will come off the bench..........

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
According to the Crimes Carter, To'omua and Mann-Rea will all start, while McCabe and Tomane will come off the bench....

Hmmm. Robbie Coleman still in the starting lineup. Really like the bloke but he's just a bit small imo. Pity he doesn't have a bit more body size to go with his enormous heart. Would rather see either Pat or Joe start in this one.

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
Canberra Times journo on Twitter suggesting that Rathbone might be starting on the wing, not Coleman

Status
Not open for further replies.