• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

3rd tier is back in 2014 [Discontinued]

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
For the record, I don't hate Uni.
I do hate the culture of mismanagement by NSWRU, ARU and SRU that has allowed one club to dominate the recruitment of young players and the unwillingness to make the player points system achieve its intended objectives.

I dislike them intensely. They have huge advantages which the real district clubs can never, ever replicate. Our sport is struggling, we occupay a small niche, and unless and until ALL stakeholders understand that, we will continue to spiral downwards.

If the self-satisfied fat cats at Camperdown are genuinely okay with that happening, they are worth hating.

All of us need to make sacrifices, and accept compromises, for the sake of the sport we all love.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Why would Sydney Uni change the way they operate though. From their perspective they are utilising their natural advantages and running a very successful organisation.

You can't expect the market leader to dismantle itself to benefit their competitors even if it is in the overall interests of the competition/code.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Why would Sydney Uni change the way they operate though. From their perspective they are utilising their natural advantages and running a very successful organisation.

You can't expect the market leader to dismantle itself to benefit their competitors even if it is in the overall interests of the competition/code.
I agree: my beef is with those above them who let new talent do whatever they want club wise as a result of which Betham only gets half a game in the Gf (IIRC) and Folau is permitted to sign with them.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I reckon the home ground would be on the Goldie. Probably at the venue with the most money behind it - Bond Uni.

From the Reds, I can only come up with:

15 Jonah Placid
14 Rod Davies
13 ?
12 Anthony Fainga'a (Queanbeyan?)
11 ?
10 Ben Lucas (Ipswich????)
9 ?
8 ?
7 Beau Robinson
6 ?
5 Blake Enever
4 ?
3 Greg Holmes
2 Anthony Fainga'a (Queanbeyan?)
1 Ben Daley

Whereas the city team would be something like:

15 Lachie Turner
14 Dom Shipperley
13 Samu Kerevi
12 Ben Tapuai
11 Chris F Sautia
10 Mike Harris
9 Nick Frisby
8 Jake Schatz
7 Liam Gill
6 Ed Quirk
5 Ed O'Donaghue
4 Dave McDuling
3 Jono Owen
2 James Hanson
1 Albert Anae

Any other country players running around in club rugby?

T

Tigers Tale

Still, a tasty prospect, and likely to be more spirited games than north vs south brisbane (a rivalry that doesn't really exist given the north is clearly superior anyway and everyone knows it).

Gel you are kidding yourself.

Last 20 years A/Premier Grade Brisbane Premierships:
Southside Clubs 11 (Souths 4, Easts 4, Sunnybank 3);
Northside Clubs 5 (uni 2, Wests 1, Brothers 1, GPS 1);
Out of Bne 4 (Canberra Vikings 3, Gold Coast 1)

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Gel you are kidding yourself.

Last 20 years A/Premier Grade Brisbane Premierships:
Southside Clubs 11 (Souths 4, Easts 4, Sunnybank 3);
Northside Clubs 5 (uni 2, Wests 1, Brothers 1, GPS 1);
Out of Bne 4 (Canberra Vikings 3, Gold Coast 1)

It was tongue in cheek - and a play on the fact I was saying that there isn't really a north/south divide in Brisbane.

Most people I know are not really that tribal about the north/south thing and don't really care, in fact I don't know of anyone that actually gives a shit - but you and your collective obviously are seriously concerned about it.

I thought it was obvious I was having a laff given the ridiculousness in the paragraph - sorry I couldn't have made it obvious enough and caused you serious grief.

T

TOCC

So no QLD clubs will be submitting an application to be a part of this comp, either individually or as a syndicate.. The two QLD team will be organised by the QRU and city/country option is on the cards.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I dislike them intensely. They have huge advantages which the real district clubs can never, ever replicate. Our sport is struggling, we occupay a small niche, and unless and until ALL stakeholders understand that, we will continue to spiral downwards.

If the self-satisfied fat cats at Camperdown are genuinely okay with that happening, they are worth hating.

All of us need to make sacrifices, and accept compromises, for the sake of the sport we all love.

They are only making best use of their resources and staying within the rules. How do you suggest Camperdown change what they do.

If the Beasties or Wicks are dominating - will we get some one complaining that they are in a more affluent area and can take advantage of the surrounding Private Schools?

Yes I dislike Uni as well, but that is more related to patriotic rivalry than anything else.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
They are only making best use of their resources and staying within the rules. How do you suggest Camperdown change what they do.

If the Beasties or Wicks are dominating - will we get some one complaining that they are in a more affluent area and can take advantage of the surrounding Private Schools?

Yes I dislike Uni as well, but that is more related to patriotic rivalry than anything else.

This is where I think 3T will be great for Club rugby. Uni Supes won't be back for finals, evening out the field so Clubs will succeed on their Club stars. Yes Uni still has advantages but as all Clubs will be able to offer a pathway through JV's etc means players don't have to go to Uni to be seen. In all honesty it should even out the field as players move to other Clubs to give themselves a better chance at making 3T.

For the record, my dislike for Uni comes from tribal loyalty and grudging respect, to outright awe of what they have achieved. I remember playing them when they were marginally better than the Drummoyne whipping boys.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

I have been around for a long, long time. What we see now is unprecedented in my lifetime, and it is a permanent situation. There is absolutely nothing that can realistically happen to change the totally dominant situation that the fat cats now enjoy. Nothing. Nothing, that is, unless they are prepared to make sacrifices for the sake of the game.

Be as patriotic as you like, but forget about winning anything.

Count their advantages. Firstly, they have always had a guaranteed intake of new players - but once upon a time, most of them relocated to the district clubs upon graduation. No longer, their guaranteed intake stays with them. Secondly, they have a superb location, close to the CBD. Thirdly, they have a very strong supporters group. Fourthly, they have access to certain resources that cost them nothing. Fifthly, they do not have to put any time and energy at all into being a district club, maintaining junior competitions, and so on. Sixthly, they have a number of friends in high places.

I won't list the sporting scholarships, or whatever else they are able to do, because they always deny that they use public money to feather their nests.

As for Easts and Randwick, I would like to think that one of them might win a premiership in one or two grades again in my lifetime. More than I can say about any of the really struggling clubs - you know, the ones out in the community where our potential supporters live.

Doesn't that concern you a bit?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Doesn't that concern you a bit?

Never said it didn't concern me, i asked what can Camperdown do.

Is it they are not allowed to stand alone in the 3T and NSW distrubutes players like Force, Rebs, Brumbies?

All points you raised i agree with, however they have made best use of their resources and i congratulate them for that. We all should play to our strengths.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
This is where I think 3T will be great for Club rugby. Uni Supes won't be back for finals, evening out the field so Clubs will succeed on their Club stars. Yes Uni still has advantages but as all Clubs will be able to offer a pathway through JV's etc means players don't have to go to Uni to be seen. In all honesty it should even out the field as players move to other Clubs to give themselves a better chance at making 3T.

For the record, my dislike for Uni comes from tribal loyalty and grudging respect, to outright awe of what they have achieved. I remember playing them when they were marginally better than the Drummoyne whipping boys.

The S15 preliminary rounds finish on 12/7 which coincides with round 16 of the SS so why is everyone assuming the S15 players not required for the S15 playoffs won't be available for the SS final series? In theory they could play the last 2 rounds of the SS and the finals before the 3T comp starts.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
As far as I'm aware, there would be very few players released to the shield.

All the Rebels, Force and Brumbies players are now signed to clubs in local comps, and I'm unaware of any Reds players signed for Sydney clubs.

That leaves the tahs, and that's only 12 playing regularly in the best case scenario, and about 30 if there was no playoffs.

So I don't think that many clubs could rely on regular participation from Soup players.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
The S15 preliminary rounds finish on 12/7 which coincides with round 16 of the SS so why is everyone assuming the S15 players not required for the S15 playoffs won't be available for the SS final series? In theory they could play the last 2 rounds of the SS and the finals before the 3T comp starts.

In NSW, that will only matter if the Tahs don't make the finals, as other provinces have this employer / employee rule. Looking at the Tahs team for this weekend - it will impact Sydney Uni.

Will be cheering for the Marlins and Tah's this season then;). Year of the Tah.

T

Tigers Tale

It was tongue in cheek - and a play on the fact I was saying that there isn't really a north/south divide in Brisbane.

Most people I know are not really that tribal about the north/south thing and don't really care, in fact I don't know of anyone that actually gives a shit - but you and your collective obviously are seriously concerned about it.

I thought it was obvious I was having a laff given the ridiculousness in the paragraph - sorry I couldn't have made it obvious enough and caused you serious grief.

No grief my friend it just seems like you suffer from the north side rugby superiority complex (common in Bros, Uni & GPS supporters) and I just wanted to point out why your superiority is a mis-informed.

I also disagree that there wouldn't be a rivalry btw a Bne north & south team. I live on the Northside but still support my junior south side club.

How will Bros, GPS & uni go this year?

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Lol, I take it back. There is clearly a north/south rivalry that I was oblivious to.

:O

Ee by gum, this competition might just have some legs!!!

T

TOCC

So given no QLD Premier Grade clubs will be submitting teams, what will be the best method for the QRU to structure the two Brisbane teams.. North vs South or City vs Country ?

In either case it's a real shame the teams couldn't get on board more.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Do you think the ARU expected that no Brisbane clubs would express interest even on a joint venture basis?
Seems like a vote of no confidence to me

Status
Not open for further replies.