• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

3rd tier is back in 2014 [Discontinued]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Why do Uni need to do a JV with Balmain in T3,in order to hire a venue in their own right in the SS?

The JV's a different issue - I haven't yet got a conspiracy theory for that one: give me time.
They may not be able to hire Leichhardt because its already hired out - Leichhardt has good lights for TV so maybe that's part of the thinking.

Tah and feathered

Watty Friend (18)
G
The JV's a different issue - I haven't yet got a conspiracy theory for that one: give me time.
They may not be able to hire Leichhardt because its already hired out - Leichhardt has good lights for TV so maybe that's part of the thinking.[/

Grounds not effected by cricket demands are pretty rare and access to a ground at the required level will be difficult without having to spend thousands on upmarket ground hire. I would think if a club wants too stand alone but has no proper ground then it's irrelevant on the players etc they have
That's how I see it

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
They may not be able to hire Leichhardt because its already hired out - Leichhardt has good lights for TV so maybe that's part of the thinking.

I am guessing that all clubs are being told that they must partner with another club in order to get selected for the NRC.
Perhaps Uni (and Randwick) have decided that they may as well partner with a week club (ie one from 2nd division) rather than one that they usually go head to head in competition with.
Uni get local Juniors and the use of Leichardt Oval this next year.
Randwick get more fields and the benefits of being associated with a Uni which, as we see from the Sydney Uni model, is attractive.
They both get to play their own players in the NRC which will attract more players to the Clubs.
Pretty clever if that is the strategy & great vision to those involved.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I am guessing that all clubs are being told that they must partner with another club in order to get selected for the NRC.
Perhaps Uni (and Randwick) have decided that they may as well partner with a week club (ie one from 2nd division) rather than one that they usually go head to head in competition with.
Randwick get more fields and the benefits of being associated with a Uni which, as we see from the Sydney Uni model, is attractive.
They both get to play their own players in the NRC which will attract more players to the Clubs.

Sounds plausible.
When you put it like that it also sounds like SU found the absolute best partner fitting the bill - based on my very limited knowledge of Balmain.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Yep Randwick have been working on building their relationship with UNSW for a while now. The acquisition of Nick Ryan is in direct relation to their proposal also. The top 40 squad members have already being doing the majority of pre season training at Uni fields.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
have to say that this competition will have heavy involvement from many universities from who I've talked to, lots of interest. Not just the two we've mentioned. Obviously randwick and unsw have had a decent relationship of late, and USyd have always been around, but northern sides have involvement with UTS and Macquarie much like Macquarie should have with Eastwood UWS have been getting involved with all the WS sports teams of late too

Hugie

Ted Fahey (11)
I would like to see a JV team between Easts and the University of Woolloomoloo. It would have a number of substantial advantages over other teams:
  1. For television broadcasts all team members would be call Bruce, no confusion.
  2. The team would have a ready made theme song "The Philosophers song".
  3. Compliance with the team drinking rules will be piss easy.
  4. It's close to the SFS for home games.
  5. The team moves have ready made names like Emmanuel Kant, Socrates, Hegel etc.. The Bishop Berkeley move wouldn't exist unless someone saw it happen.
I see this as a real goer.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
have to say that this competition will have heavy involvement from many universities from who I've talked to, lots of interest. Not just the two we've mentioned. Obviously randwick and unsw have had a decent relationship of late, and USyd have always been around, but northern sides have involvement with UTS and Macquarie much like Macquarie should have with Eastwood UWS have been getting involved with all the WS sports teams of late too
also know RUPA have been talking around to them too
It's starting to look as if the NRC structure is borrowing from the model which Greg Harris and RUPA put forward last year. This involved teams from universities which were then to be linked to existing clubs. The limitation of this model was the very great difference in rugby standard between the universities involved.

The new approach appears to be to start with clubs or Super franchises which are then each linked with particular universities. Other than Sydney University, and to a lesser extent UQ, the tertiary institution would be very definitely the junior partner. This type of linkage is much more logical in that the role of the universities would basically be to provide academic services which is their natural function. In return they would get national TV exposure.

Linking each NRC club to a university would help to positively differentiate our code from the other three football codes.

The NRC seems to be evolving toward a much more viable and sustainable structure than the fatally flawed ARC model of 2007

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
I would like to see a JV team between Easts and the University of Woolloomoloo. <snip>
I see this as a real goer.

One hopes that the Woolloomooloo Uni Philosophy Department has modernised its rules.

Pretty sure that rules 1, 2, 3, 5 and 7 would be rejected by the ARU.

FFS The Convicts are based in the middle of Easts patch.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
The NRC seems to be evolving toward a much more viable and sustainable structure than the fatally flawed ARC model of 2007.

from what I understand USyd and UNSW are like that, the other universities getting involved seem to be from the point of view of commercial partnerships. RUPA talked to them independently before they released their proposal and it has been up to the bidding consortiums to contact the universities independently from that relationship for this set-up to be created.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yeah i think thats the case, still he will be an effective advertisement for the NRC team he chooses to go to even if he doesn't end up playing a game due to wallaby commitments.

Until they spend x% of their player budget on a player that is never going to play for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.