• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

3rd tier is back in 2014 [Discontinued]

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

Were they not pressured by the QRU (financially I believe I read) not to submit an EOI, as the QRU wanted to control/oversee the 3T teams themselves?

Based on the fact that there seems to be far less antagonism towards the QRU out of the club set up in Queensland, and the fact that the QRU is now a well run organisation, I don't see this as being horrible. At least we know that the QLD teams will be run and play in the best interests of QLD Rugby.

Imagine the benefit for the Wallabies if all 5 Super teams were being run and played in their best interests?

Stands

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Rumours from the bar last night;

The "rumoured" East Sydney NRC team that was to be made up of Easts, Randwick & Uni of NSW is no longer.

Will now be Randwick & Uni of NSW.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

The "rumoured" East Sydney NRC team that was to be made up of Easts, Randwick & Uni of NSW is no longer.

i.e. Randwick.
My sources tell me that direct pressure was put on the ARU board for Randwick to standalone and this smells like the compromise position.
I hope none of my taxes are being diverted into this.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)

If what you are hearing is correct, Stands, the link between Randwick and UNSW seems to be further strengthening. The key driver for this would probably be Simon Poidevin whose first Sydney Club was UNSW.

Any idea why Easts have dropped off? From what we are hearing from Queensland their Premier clubs are baulking at the money commitment involved as well as the logistic burden. Then we have the announcement that the potentially well-structured and well-funded Newcastle consortium have decided not to tender, with one issue being that the Waratahs intend to run a country team from Sydney. So the ARU might find that the number of groups who actually bid might create a situation where there will be few tenders that will need to be rejected.

It will be an intriguing situation if we have Sydney's two major universities once again going head-to-head on the rugby field, albeit NSW with Randwick and Sydney Uni with Balmain. But of course it would be unwise to assume anything in relation to the ARU's decision making.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
there seems to be a dismantling of the "involvement" the club sides were supposed to have. I wonder if pushing teams out slowly is intended, or if its by pure happen-stance and mismanagement.

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
Wow haven't popped my head into this thread for a while.

I love the direction of the QRU went (no individual club bids submitted)

10 years time from now, one would think that QLD Premier Rugby is the more respected of club competitions due to competitiveness as the Shute Shield is going down it's club crippling, liquidating super power struggles of consortiums & individual bids.

How is the Shute Shield fan going to enjoy their footy when you got Sydney Uni going up against battler clubs? There's shades of this in QLD Premier Rugby with some payer playments but at least the QRU is interested in protecting it's Premier Competition by allocating 2x "all star" teams which help keep players at the clubs they want to play at.

Tah and feathered

Watty Friend (18)
I heard that Southern Districts are joining the west group.
Could Uni or Randwick in trying to be a stand alone club miss out completely
There is the North group and a West/ south group which should get accepted by the ARU

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
I heard that Southern Districts are joining the west group.
Could Uni or Randwick in trying to be a stand alone club miss out completely
There is the North group and a West/ south group which should get accepted by the ARU
Souths are with West Harbour,Eastwood,Parramatta,& Penrith.

T

Train Without a Station

What is the benefit of said JV to Sydney Uni? Additional cash injection from Warren Livingston? Is there anything else Balmain can realistically bring to the table?

Tah and feathered

Watty Friend (18)
I think you will find they are.
I heard a strong rumour they were not which would be a blow to the ARU
Be interesting to see if they do take part. They are sweet for there players to join sides but Eastwood as club won't be throwing in any money
That my info
Also heard ARU is pushing for Uni and Randwick to join together but both clubs have said no
any club that joins with Randwick has 1 vote but with it being Randwick/UNSW they have 2 votes plus they have to play in Randwicks strip
Not sure how true this bit is but why would Randwick not be included with other clubs? Maybe they want clubs to shy away so they have a case to be a stand alone club?

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Eastwood , like most other clubs ,doesn't have a lot of money to throw around,particularly on a 3T comp.
However , the plan for most joint venture groups is to fund their part of the venture by acquiring new sponsorship deals
specifically for the 3T competition.If they are unable to do this ,then it's back to the drawing board.
My understanding is that the 5 clubs comprising "Western Sydney" are still all in active discussion.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
What is the benefit of said JV to Sydney Uni? Additional cash injection from Warren Livingston? Is there anything else Balmain can realistically bring to the table?

Poor old Uni. Cops crap for not being a "proper district" because they have no grass roots junior development programme, and when they reach out to local grass roots clubs (yes Balmain have mini and junior village clubs, not just Wazza's millions) to become more of a "proper district", they cop it from critics looking for something untoward or self serving underlying that approach.

T

Train Without a Station

Poor old Uni. Cops crap for not being a "proper district" because they have no grass roots junior development programme, and when they reach out to local grass roots clubs (yes Balmain have mini and junior village clubs, not just Wazza's millions) to become more of a "proper district", they cop it from critics looking for something untoward or self serving underlying that approach.

No, HJ not having a go at them. I'm just trying to understand what Balmain are bringing to the table. Uni have been running their Shute Shield club with everything they will need to service 3T already, with the exception of potential match payments. I just can't see why they would let another party have any input into it. To me it doesn't seem like they need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.